PDA

View Full Version : Google censoring internet?

Ric95
December 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
An alternate news website is being blocked by the google search engine;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtfSO28Upw&feature=
I don't agree with everything Alex Jones says, but this is not good.
I suggest we start using ixquick.com for privacy and free speech.

Sporkman
December 2nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
Not listing content on its search engine is not the same as censorship.

inobe
December 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM
all the crap i see on the web doesn't need censoring, they need to be unplugged, really !

wilee-nilee
December 2nd, 2010, 04:55 AM
If you look at all of Alex Jones content it is at best conjecture, with his way of delivering it. It is feeding off the confirmation bias of groups of people who sort of believe this, and life makes more sense to them if they just do. He just manufactures it, charges for it; mind you he is a profiteer. This bogus information with the delivery method of a inter-textual actual linking to people and events is insidious and filling your conscious and unconscious with garbage.

But so does the rest of the media by and large. Even the legit lets say Public Access in the US needs the wheat from the chaff strained at times as well.

Ric95
December 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Your right, Alex Jones oversteps the evidence. But is still begs the question, why create a huge search engine that people count on to be unbiased, then completely block any results from a website.
Considering how most people use google to search, I have to say it leans towards censorship as far as a single corporation can lean.

czr114
December 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
From the sound of things, it looks like that Jones account on Youtube was the victim of a copyright reviewer with an itchy trigger finger, which is common all over Youtube and other user-driven platforms. I doubt the extragalactic reptilian Freemasons (or whatever other implausible group he's blaming today) brainwashed Google execs into suspending his account.

czr114
December 2nd, 2010, 05:17 AM
Your right, Alex Jones oversteps the evidence. But is still begs the question, why create a huge search engine that people count on to be unbiased, then completely block any results from a website.
Considering how most people use google to search, I have to say it leans towards censorship as far as a single corporation can lean.
The root problem is that users count on anyone to be unbiased, let alone a giant multinational advertising agency whose primary concern is its bottom line.

The root problem is a deficit in the public's critical thinking.

No source is unbiased. A critical thinker finds facts from multiple sources and begins to draw conclusions.

wilee-nilee
December 2nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
From the sound of things, it looks like that Jones account on Youtube was the victim of a copyright reviewer with an itchy trigger finger, which is common all over Youtube and other user-driven platforms. I doubt the extragalactic reptilian Freemasons (or whatever other implausible group he's blaming today) brainwashed Google execs into suspending his account.

Rofl, that my friend is a keeper.;) They must be in the Branes, you know extra galactic and all.

cascade9
December 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
The root problem is that users count on anyone to be unbiased, let alone a giant multinational advertising agency whose primary concern is its bottom line.

The root problem is a deficit in the public's critical thinking.

No source is unbiased. A critical thinker finds facts from multiple sources and begins to draw conclusions.

Exactly. ;) How people fail to forget that google is a multi-billion dollar corporation is beyond me........

NCLI
December 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
Exactly. ;) How people fail to forget that google is a multi-billion dollar corporation is beyond me........
Because they don't act like one.

An alternate news website is being blocked by the google search engine;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtfSO28Upw&feature=
I don't agree with everything Alex Jones says, but this is not good.
I suggest we start using ixquick.com for privacy and free speech.
Google is not censoring anything, why would they? It's not like they derive financial gain from producing bad search results.

Have you ever considered that the site may not be indexed for other reasons?

wilee-nilee
December 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Funny on Scroogle a Google scraper prison planet is first in line, on Google 2nd listing. The link is playing on youtube, and when you search on youtube you get a whole bunch oh links. I say it is a ploy on A.J's part for just more publicity, must be a boat payment due or something.
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=alex+jones&btnGNS=Search+youtube.com&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=youtube.com&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=617

None of what he claims is happening as usual, you have to ask yourself if you had this idea in your thoughts of censorship and with a little confirmation you now believe it. When it has no basis in fact as far as I can tell.

A.J is a classic Narcissist it, if he's not that, it certainly not hard to find several areas in the DSM IV he fits quite nicely.

sanderella
December 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Does he mean sensoring or censoring? The two have very different meanings. ;)

alexan
December 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Indeed Google search engine did censor stuff: but not for political/religious and sort of things.

They censor website in which website master are found use dirty tricks in order to raise the top for their own website.. or spoil/fake in other ways the Google results.

Ric95
December 3rd, 2010, 12:39 AM
It is a moot point. Google finds his sites just fine. They may have been off the search base only briefly, who knows why.
And no, I don't usually listen to A J, but as crz114 so excellently pointed out, I like many sources to help form my own conclusions.

Gremlinzzz
December 3rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
I think Google is turning Evil.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11900347
Google tweaks to tackle online piracy
Google has said it will tweak its search service in an attempt to tackle online piracy, following lobbying by the music industry.

wilee-nilee
December 3rd, 2010, 02:19 AM
I think Google is turning Evil.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11900347
Google tweaks to tackle online piracy
Google has said it will tweak its search service in an attempt to tackle online piracy, following lobbying by the music industry.

If you read the first two paragraphs it says removed from the autocomplete but not the search engine.

The search giant will implement four changes, including the removal of words that are associated with piracy from appearing in its autocomplete feature.

However, it will not prevent sites that host illegal copyright material from appearing in its search results.

The music industry said the measures did not go far enough.

Oh wow four words that three less then George Carlin was so famous for, and that is public TV or Radio.

Gremlinzzz
December 3rd, 2010, 03:31 AM
If you read the first two paragraphs it says removed from the autocomplete but not the search engine.

The search giant will implement four changes, including the removal of words that are associated with piracy from appearing in its autocomplete feature.

However, it will not prevent sites that host illegal copyright material from appearing in its search results.

Oh wow four words that three less then George Carlin was so famous for, and that is public TV or Radio.

give em a inch they want a mile.I switched to ixquick and like it better.switched about a year ago.

Ardghal
December 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Funny on Scroogle a Google scraper prison planet is first in line, on Google 2nd listing. The link is playing on youtube, and when you search on youtube you get a whole bunch oh links. I say it is a ploy on A.J's part for just more publicity, must be a boat payment due or something.
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=alex+jones&btnGNS=Search+youtube.com&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=youtube.com&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=617

You are wrong. Alex Jones claims that Google has blacklisted his sites prisonplanet.com and infowars.com from Google News, not Google search, which is true. Before this happened, it was possible to find tons of articles from his sites through Google News. Some links even appeared on the top of Google web searches. Now, you can't find any articles from prisonplanet.com or infowars.com when searching Google News. That's what he is complaining about. The sites were indexed, but suddenly seem not to be anymore.

Whether you like him or not is irrelevant in this thread. His sites were removed from Google News searches. And that much is true.

Why did they do it? Maybe they felt like it, maybe it was a mistake, maybe the overlords don't want you hearing the truth. :D

michaeldt
December 4th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Google own Youtube, his video is still up. Thats not censorship..

chriswyatt
December 4th, 2010, 01:18 AM
This thread title is worse than most of the sensationalist headlines I see in the newspapers every day.

Austin25
December 4th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Google own Youtube, his video is still up. Thats not censorship..
+1

If they really wanted to censor the internet, they would do a better job.