PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation cd video dies

default013
December 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Hi, I'm not a newb but I've never had to load different drivers at boot before. Basically what I'm doing is I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a machine that has an NVidia 9400 GT video card on it. It has two monitors if that makes any difference although I tried unplugging one and had the same problem. So I'm using the same CD I used on a laptop earlier and it installed just fine (10.10 32-bit) except when I boot it up on this machine I get the Ubuntu load screen (the purple logo with the animated dots under it) and afterwords I get a screen full of garbled trash. I tried asking Google and it seems that a lot of people are having issues with NVidia drivers so my basic assumption is that the Ubuntu install CD drivers can't handle my video card.

So my question is; if you think my theory is wrong, please let me know so I can try something else. Otherwise I guess I need to load NVidia drivers at boot from the install CD. I don't even know how to bypass the load screen at this point ... I know that you get the option to change kernel options later but by the time my computer arrives there my screen is illegible. Can anyone help?

Thanks

default013
December 2nd, 2010, 04:39 AM
Kadunkabump. Really? I thought this'd be an easy one. Nobody knows how to intall Ubuntu on a machine with an unsupported vid card?

default013
December 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
OK so I think I may have found the solution. A text-based installation CD available here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download

It's called Ubuntu "alternative". I have to think someone out there knew about this but ... I'll update this thread and let you know how it goes. My assumption is that the full installation will have the drivers - or that I'll be able to install them once it's installed while obviously an installation CD can't always cover everything. You'd think that there'd be a way to run the CD in a safe graphics mode or something though ...