PDA

View Full Version : How many desktops have you got?

Linux_junkie
December 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
I've just installed XFCE on to my laptop that makes three desktops installed on Ubuntu 10.04 to date.

I now have Gnome 2.30; KDE 4.4.2 and XFCE 4.6.2

I love all three.

aaaantoine
December 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM
You mean how many computers? Four. Only my laptop persistently runs linux, however.

How many desktops? Two. One is not currently in use though.

samalex
December 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM
I've thought about installing Fluxbox again since that was my DM of choice years ago, but I kinda like the bells and whistles that come with Gnome so I'm sticking with it for now.

Sam

NightwishFan
December 2nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
I really like Gnome applications so I run that on any capable machine. If the specs are a bit low I run XFCE. For my main machine I always only have Gnome installed and a lighter DE such as fluxbox for when I may need a 100 extra MB for a task.

If I had a spare machine for guests to use I might put KDE on it for pure coolness factor.

3Miro
December 2nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
I first read this as how many workspaces (7 - 8 for me). As someone pointed out you can read this as "how many computers". It looks like you mean desktop environments.

I had KDE, Gnome and XFCE simultaneously at one point and LXDE separately. There is some question on whether window managers like Fluxbox count as DE or not. It is good to try all the DE, but eventually I realized that it is more practical to keep one. XFCE is for my desktop and LXDE which is the one to work best on my laptop.

urukrama
December 2nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
3: Openbox/Xfce, Musca, and Pekwm.

Spice Weasel
December 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
1. Xfce
2. Openbox (backup, I fiddle with the others)
3. ROX Desktop
4. Equinox
5. FVWM-QNXalike

2 GTK, 2 FLTK. I don't like Qt.

I should mention that Equinox is awful.

macaz1
December 2nd, 2010, 12:16 AM
1 desktop computer with windows 7 for gaming.
My ubuntu 10.10 installation is on my notebook.

/e-peen stroking

theraje
December 2nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
Got nine desktop computers. Only three of them see much use - the rest are pretty ancient.

Got a collection of laptop computers, too. Could probably get rid of most of the desktop and laptop computers, as most of them are a pain to use (i.e. slow as the dickens). Just need to find them a good home rather than just put them at the end of the road to be moved into a landfill.

aaaantoine
December 2nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
It looks like you mean desktop environments.

Oh. Uh, in that case... KDE on this laptop, Gnome on my desktop.

Zzl1xndd
December 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
Computers 8

3 Modern Macs
3 PC's With Ubuntu
2 Older Macs (Mac Classic and Apple IIe)

Desktop environments

1 Gnome