PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can see remote desktop but can't control it.

jacron
December 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
I recently installed 10.10 64-bit on my laptop. I have an older laptop with 9.10 32-bit on it. I installed vnc4viewer on the 9.10 laptop and started and set up remote desktop connections to let the remote user view and control the local desktop. I then tried Remote Desktop Viewer for the Applications menu on the 10.10 laptop and I can log in and see the remote desktop. When I try to do anything through the vnc viewer I can see my changes affect the serving machine but not the viewing machine. For instance, if I grab a window on the viewing machine and try to move it around the desktop, I can see it move on the serving machine. I guess the connection could just be very slow but it seems real time on the serving machine. Any ideas?

mokhan
January 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I am experiencing a similar scenario. I am trying to connect to a 64 bit instance of ubuntu 10.10 from a 32 bit instance of ubuntu 10.10 using Remote Desktop Viewer. When I connect I can see the login screen for my 64 bit machine but when I click on the window I can't take control of the screen.

Is there something that I am missing? Or doing wrong?

dmbware
February 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I am having the same problem with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 64 bit. I am able to connect and control the mouse but the refresh of my remote computer does not update and I see the same screen over and over. The remote is working its just I cant see what I am doing. nor well my remote screen update a menu drop down or a launch of a program.

Krytarik
February 19th, 2011, 04:35 AM
The performance and if it works at all or not very much depends on what programs you use, I run "x11vnc" as server at the remote machine and RealVNC as the viewer at my machine.

I also tried "Remote Desktop Viewer" most recently, and it didn't work "remotely" as good as my usual setup. I guess it froze, or at least was painfully slow.

Also check this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC