PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows appear off screen and jump when clicked

Christie_k22
December 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I have been running Ubuntu desktop on my Acer Aspire One AOA150-1635 for over a year now in one form or another. I originally dual booted XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix but decided against the remix when I did a clean install (over a year ago). All the issues I had then were the same issues others were having and have been fixed for a long time. I just recently upgraded to 10.10. I am unsure if this problem was present prior to the upgrade and I just hadn't run across it yet. I am also getting ready to upgrade my desktop and am afraid I will have the same issues.

It seems that certain windows don't fit on this desktop. For instance when I open Compiz config settings manager the bottom of the window is below the screen. When I try to click an option the window jumps and the same thing happens to the top. I can also click anywhere on the window to make this happen. I have included a couple pictures (taken with my camera please forgive the quality) to show you exactly what it is doing. It is getting rather annoying when I try to open one thing and the other right above or below it opens instead. I have to place my pointer in the spot where the item I am selecting will be after it jumps in order to open what I mean to open. When I right click it gives me options as if I was right clicking on the desktop background.

The other issue which seems to be related is not being able to get to certain parts of longer windows such as Gnome color chooser. It seems to run off screen as well.

HurricaneHarry
December 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
You might want to try and move the window up or down in this case using
leftalt-leftmouse.

Regards,

Harold de Bruijn

Christie_k22
December 9th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Is there any way you can clarify what you mean a bit more? I don't quite understand . . . and thanks!
-Christie

Quackers
December 9th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Press and hold down the left ALT key then left-click in the window and drag the window up or down.

Christie_k22
December 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I meant that I didnt understand what it was supposed to do. I understand what to do lol thanks tho. It doesnt do anything different than a normal left click and move. Oh well I guess its just something I have to deal with. . . Thanks newayz!