PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation help

kitoisara
December 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
ok i downloaded the ubuntu-10.10-alternate-amd64.iso because i have a older laptop and i burned it to a dvd and i tryed installing it but i didnt know how to do it and i need help i wanted to duel boot so i can still have vista on my computer and also have ubuntu can anyone give me a step by step on installing the alternate.iso

oldfred
December 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM
I have not done the alternate install but this is an example with 10.04. Differences should not be significant:

Alternate install example win 10.04:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p2.html

kitoisara
December 1st, 2010, 10:31 PM
ok i did all the things in that link u gave me but i get an error when i they to do my partition it want let me do it how to i fix this

Quackers
December 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Do you have any free space on your hard drive or is it filled with partitions already?

matt_symes
December 1st, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi

ok i did all the things in that link u gave me but i get an error when i they to do my partition it want let me do it how to i fix this

What was the error?

Kind regards

kitoisara
December 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM
no i should not have any i got about 130g on my computer that should be free because i dont know how to do the partitions or anything i never installed another os on my computer before lol

oldfred
December 2nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
The alternative installer is not a liveCD. But for any system windows, Ubuntu or other, you should have a liveCD just to do repairs or boot another way to check system.

You can also download the gparted liveCD which will let you see partitions on drive.

From a live Linux CD run this.

sudo fdisk -l

kitoisara
December 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
well i dont know how to get the liveCD i downloaded the alternate because i ran the wubi installer and ubuntu had some weird bars across my screen when it installed and i coulded do much with it