PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm not understanding the update fix

wmb
December 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'm following this guide : http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10159040&postcount=5

copying c:\ubuntu\winboot\wubildr to c:\wubildr didn't work...there wasn't even a c:\wubildr file.

To edit grub.cfg:
Boot a live CD (check)

sudo find / -name 'root.disk'what came back was:

/media/A49ACC319ACBFDB4/ubuntu/disks/root.diskI'm pretty sure this is where my problem is...can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong?

in my dev directory, I have sda, sda1, and sda2. I just don't know how to find out which one should be mounted. I tried copy & pasting the commands below but I got an error at sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/win. "fuse: mount failed: Device or resource busy

and then edit grub.cfg as follows:

sudo mkdir /media/win
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/win
sudo mount -o loop /media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /mnt
sudo cp /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg.copy
sudo chmod +w /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg
gksu gedit /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Rubi1200
December 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi,
if you are on the LiveCD, run the boot info script linked at the bottom of my post and get the results back here please.

wmb
December 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM
I've been downloading it for around 15 minutes. Some of the parts hit an incredible 2KB/sec. I hope it's due to running off of the dvd drive.

Rubi1200
December 1st, 2010, 06:00 PM
Odd! It should only take a few seconds at most, even from a LiveCD.

Give it another few minutes and if nothing post back here and I will upload and attach it for you in my next post.

wmb
December 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Odd! It should only take a few seconds at most, even from a LiveCD.

Give it another few minutes and if nothing post back here and I will upload and attach it for you in my next post.

Nevermind...

I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition - we'll call this U2, because I originally installed it onto windows - we'll call this U1.

Now, grub comes up. I have the ability to choose Ubuntu(U2) or Windows. If I choose Windows, I have the Windows Loader crap, and I can choose Windows or Ubuntu (U1). Then I can choose Ubuntu(U1) or Windows. And it works.

LOL...I'm reformatting after I'm done.

Rubi1200
December 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Yes, please let me know what happens.

To be honest, a full install to the drive is preferred over a Wubi install.

I am attaching the script for you in any event (in zip format because of forum size limitations)

And, you are more than welcome :)

wmb
December 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
Updated the previous post...still, thanks a bunch.