PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot failure

Paul T.
December 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hi,

not sure if it's related but I installed some updates this morning (Iced tea?), then when I came to shutting down, the box with cancel and shutdown buttons came up but the buttons were missing. Same thing with trying to log off etc, no buttons visible so I was forced to do a hard restart. Now I can't boot into Ubuntu; grub2 screen comes up but If I select normal boot I only get a black screen with flashing cursor in top left corner, if I try recovery mode I get pages of technical info which is over my head. My system is dual boot so I can still use XP.
I'm guessing I need to re-install/update grub?

(I'm off to work shortly so won't be able to reply to any advice offered, but thx in advance.)

Hippytaff
December 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hi

If you can boot from liveCD/USB and post the RESULTST.TXT generated by script found here http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

That will give some usefult info about the problem :-)

Paul T.
December 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thx for the reply will try it later (off to work now :icon_frown: )
However I tried booting from LiveCd, from there I can access Windows partition, but if I try and mount my Linux partition PC locks up completely....
Looks like either file system is corrupted, or hard drive problem on Linux partition.