PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] compiz in kde

vys
December 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hi, I recently made the switch from gnome to kde, and I can't seem to figure out how to make compiz work in kde. I've searched all over and nobody says exactly how this is accomplished.

lovinglinux
December 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
As far as I remember, all you need is to install the compiz-kde package. However, I would recommend that you first enable kwin and explore it. I was totally addicted to Compiz until I tried kwin. It is a lot simpler to configure and provides the same functionality. You can access it from "System Settings >> Look & Feel >> Desktop >> Desktop Effects".

qamelian
December 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
As far as I remember, all you need is to install the compiz-kde package. However, I would recommend that you first enable kwin and explore it. I was totally addicted to Compiz until I tried kwin. It is a lot simpler to configure and provides the same functionality. You can access it from "System Settings >> Look & Feel >> Desktop >> Desktop Effects".
Depending on your computer though, compiz sometimes offers better performance. For example, I can use eithe compiz or kwin on my desktop with no dicernable difference (well, except for the fact that I prefer the look of the compiz version of some effects). On my laptop, however, I can't use kwin without the laptop overheating and shutting down with about 10-15 minutes, while compiz flies along with no negative effect whatsoever. The difference is probably that the latop is older vintage, but I guess the moral is to try both and see how each one works before settling. :)

vys
December 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
where, exactly, in desktop widgets? I looked all over for kwin but only found some 'FPS' thing.

vys
December 1st, 2010, 02:38 PM
*effects

lovinglinux
December 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM
where, exactly, in desktop widgets? I looked all over for kwin but only found some 'FPS' thing.

"System Settings >> Look & Feel >> Desktop >> Desktop Effects"

You to enabled the effects in the General tab, then you can configure each effect in the "All Effects" tab.

http://goo.gl/bTyHc