PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Manage Ubuntu user privileges

tdapower
December 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
In my company there are client computers for employees which has Ubuntu. Those users doesn't have super user privileges. But they can change there own user passwords without the authority of me. I need to disable that feature. Because we have some policies in company to keep passwords of employees with us. So if they change there passwords. There will be a problem for us.
Please tell me how to disable password change facility of non-super users.:D

Wtower
December 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM
I didn't understand very well but the following link may be of help

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/serverguide/C/user-management.html

Regards

surfer
December 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
as root you can always login to other users's accounts without knowing their password (as long as you do not encrypt their home directory with ecryptfs or something similar).

what is your benefit of really knowing their passwords?

sorry, that may be no help for your problem at hand...

tdapower
December 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
We need to know their passwords, because if they leave the company we cannot log into their pcs. But as you said root can log to any user account. we don't have any problem. but I need to disable the ability to change the user passwords.

srikanth.gundaz
December 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
We need to know their passwords, because if they leave the company we cannot log into their pcs. But as you said root can log to any user account. we don't have any problem. but I need to disable the ability to change the user passwords.

Make several groups under one user(Say, ur company name) and change the permission to read-only for the fields which you want :)

sisco311
December 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM

Set the minimum number of days between password changes to something high like 32000 days (~= 90 years).

sudo passwd -n 32000 username

See:

man 5 shadow
man passwd

SecretCode
December 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
We need to know their passwords, because if they leave the company we cannot log into their pcs.

If you have a separate admin account on each user PC with sudo privileges, you can log on with that and change the main user's password. (I don't know if there's a way to have a central admin account via LDAP...?)

For mgt to know all users' passwords is bad practice: it could open you up to accusations of deniability - "I didn't do that, mgt must have used my PC". And it makes users less concerned about not sharing their password with others. And you lose the benefits (whatever they are) of regular changes to user passwords.

endotherm
December 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
set the minimum number of days between password changes to something high like 32000 days (~= 90 years).

sudo passwd -n 32000 usernamesee:

man 5 shadow
man passwd
+1

tdapower
December 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks