PDA

View Full Version : Most hated/overused computer buzzword?

Dustin2128
December 1st, 2010, 05:14 AM
I'd say for me, it's 'the cloud'. How about you?

earthpigg
December 1st, 2010, 05:19 AM
hacker
free

FuturePilot
December 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM

I clicked on this thread intending to post "cloud" but I see you already did. Have some popcorn :popcorn:

Dustin2128
December 1st, 2010, 05:39 AM
I clicked on this thread intending to post "cloud" but I see you already did. Have some popcorn :popcorn:
meh, feel free to copy me, I henceforth release my post into the public domain. ;)

I hate the word hacker as the media uses it, but I like it as a description of people who're great in computers.

phrostbyte
December 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM
'enterprise'

cariboo
December 1st, 2010, 05:49 AM
Microsoft and windows being misspelled.

czr114
December 1st, 2010, 05:56 AM
Cloud seems to be the worst offender now.

Before that, some mix of leverage, enterprise, scalable, and infrastructure, such as, "With our custom Web 2.0 cloud solution, your consumers will be able to leverage our scalable, enterprise infrastructure to interface with the leading PKI-compliant social media applet engineering platform."

Yuck.

Oxwivi
December 1st, 2010, 06:46 AM
Ubuntu Forum's staff's nightmare. :D

Cuddles McKitten
December 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I would've said "cloud," so instead I'll go with "killer app."

TiBaal89
December 1st, 2010, 06:53 AM
I'll take "app" for 100, Chuck...

aysiu
December 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM
"i______ killer"

yetiman64
December 1st, 2010, 07:03 AM
User-friendly, the irony being that systems advertised as such usually aren't. Gladly, I haven't heard this term for quite a while now thank goodness. Anyone who does try using it is guaranteed to lose any potential sale to me. :)

Ric_NYC
December 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
"The year of..."

julio_cortez
December 1st, 2010, 08:38 AM
You're right. Everytime I see people writing Micro$oft or Winhoes it gets on my nerves, too. Then I was the one that always typed Svista (which in Italian means "mistake") instead of Vista, but it was well earned :p

By the way, I think that the word "hacker" is the most misused ever when it comes to computers. People often say "hackers" to refer to crackers, spammers, script-kiddies and whatever they relate to "bad characters".
And, in addition, I've heard a lot of people asking me "I've been told you're a hacker (just because I used to configure wireless networks), so can't you fix my TV/microwave oven/washing machine? After all it's all about electronics" and getting upset when I answered "sorry, I don't even know what a TV is" (which is kind of real, as I just turn on the TV once in a while).

mendhak
December 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM
I was about to post hacker too. Even "technical" blogs use it to describe some programmers.

So I'll say... 'geek'. It's become so overused that it has lost its sacrosanctness and now you'll simply get everyone saying "omg I'm such a geek, I used twitter on my iphone durr hurr" with all of her friends conveying similar messages to her.

andymorton
December 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
''I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea''. Those commercials are so unbelievably annoying.

Random_Dude
December 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
A lot has been said, so I'll just add "innovation", "innovative", "revolutionary" and "revolution".
It's probably used more in marketing moves and advertisement than on a technical level, but it still annoys me when everything that comes out is "An innovation that will revolutionize the whole world!!!".

Cheers :cool:

cpmman
December 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
"intuitive" - maybe so if you are brain-dead.

Grenage
December 1st, 2010, 10:43 AM
Some people appear to be struggling to understanding what a buzzword is. ;)

I would choose synergize.

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
Social Network

It seems most new products and services in IT have some kind of Social Network angle in their marketing or lit.

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM
Anything to do with apps, Windows 7, the cloud, anything Apple.

Oh, and social media.

and Web 2.0.

and "smart" phones...

ndefontenay
December 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Cloud seems to be the worst offender now.

Before that, some mix of leverage, enterprise, scalable, and infrastructure, such as, "With our custom Web 2.0 cloud solution, your consumers will be able to leverage our scalable, enterprise infrastructure to interface with the leading PKI-compliant social media applet engineering platform."

Yuck.

I shivered. It was like a commercial was talking to me right now :s

fontis
December 1st, 2010, 11:44 AM
I can't decide between Platform and "The cloud".

Maybe enterprise and social media can be put in the loop too. But god I hate the word platform.

The worst is when the words are combined :D

"The future for all enterprises and social medias alike is to combine the ease of access of the cloud along with the strength of the platform to provide standard solutions for complex scenarios.

I mean this doesn't even make any sense!!!

NCLI
"Magical"

matthewbpt
The whole "Mac vs PC" thing ... a Mac is a PC!

73ckn797
December 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
This

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
The whole "Mac vs PC" thing ... a Mac is a PC!

No, it isn't.

When you buy one, you are forced to give your soul to Jobs.

Yougo
December 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
No one posted "Usability" and it's derivatives yet?

your Goo-ey is bad for the system's Yoos-a-bill-itty :-&

ow and consistently and repeatedly mispronounced Ubuntu.

anyone uses you-buh-ntuu? i'm using you-buh-ntuu. you-buh-ntuu is way better than windows. you-buh-ntuu Just Works™. you should use you-buh-ntuu, too! i could install you-buh-ntuu for you right now, i always carry the you-buh-ntuu cd with me!

rudeboyskunk
December 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
killer app. Not only is it stupid, it's so often used out of context.

julio_cortez
December 1st, 2010, 12:13 PM
No, it isn't.
When you buy one, you are forced to give your soul to Jobs.
Yeah, while on the other side you (in the majority of the cases) are forced to make your soul directly enter the Gates of Hell.

armageddon08
December 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
"Micro****", "WINBLOWS"

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, while on the other side you (in the majority of the cases) are forced to make your soul directly enter the Gates of Hell.

Really? None of my PCs have come with anything to do with Gates for years. Or that very... uh... special Ballmer.

Khakilang
December 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I hate it when Microsoft talk about security and stability each time they release a new Window OS. Since Window 95 to Window 7. With each version release they talk about security and stability. Well I just formated a few computer infected with virus on Vista and Window 7. What will they say with Window 8? I would say I hate this 2 words mainly coming from Microsoft.

malspa
December 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
"Bloat" (in Linux).

forrestcupp
December 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'll agree with the Cloud, apps or appz, iAnything, Year of the Linux Desktop, and any form of 1337 5p33k (even though my bean count is 1337 :) ).

The Cloud is definitely #1, though.

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
"Bloat" (in Linux).

Would you prefer "waste of space and resources"?

BrokenKingpin
December 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
I also hate "the cloud". Those new Microsoft commercials are just terrible.

malspa
December 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Would you prefer "waste of space and resources"?

LOL! Just seems to me that on any fairly modern computer, with the large capacity hard drives out there these days, and with the way Linux actually works, "bloat" is a non-issue. Even on an 80 GB drive with a number of fully-loaded distros installed, most of which have more than one desktop environment installed, some including the so-called "bloated" KDE4, I don't feel like I'm seeing any performance issues. I think that "bloat" is much more of an issue in Windows than in Linux.

Tristam Green
December 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
I also hate "the cloud". Those new Microsoft commercials are just terrible.

lolUbuntuOne and lolChromeOS. heralds of a new cloud storage era, amirite?

I'm tired of "app". It's a $@#%ing application. Don't just arbitrarily abbreviate words because it sounds cool or edgy.

#*$^ing hipsters.

MisterGaribaldi
December 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
I don't know if it's any particular term so much for me as it is when "big corporate" decides to turn something into a buzzword. Companies can be so very shallow, and I find it nauseating to listen to it. Like, for instance, car commercials where the vocal talent actually speaks an abbreviation, like "em pee gees" or when Starbucks tried to push the whole "What would you love today?" It's so fake and sugar coated it's just sickening.

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
"Bloat" (in Linux).

I actually quite like this phrase, it make me think of a really fat lardy bloke dressed in the style of 'Tron' programs in the film LOL :D

Yougo
December 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Starbucks tried to push the whole "What would you love today?"

Starbucks; I'm lovin' it?

Grenage
December 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
I actually quite like this phrase, it make me think of a really fat lardy bloke dressed in the style of 'Tron' programs in the film LOL :D

http://pedallas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tron.jpg

Yougo
December 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM
0__o added to the list of things that can not be unseen

i'll never be able to read the word 'bloat' again and finish the sentence. thank you.

fontis
December 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM
lolubuntuone and lolchromeos. Heralds of a new cloud storage era, amirite?

I'm tired of "app". It's a $@#%ing application. Don't just arbitrarily abbreviate words because it sounds cool or edgy.

#*$^ing hipsters.

+1

word!!!

Jay Car
December 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
I deeply dislike the overused and meaningless word "cyber".

CJ Master
December 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
By the way, I think that the word "hacker" is the most misused ever when it comes to computers. People often say "hackers" to refer to crackers, spammers, script-kiddies and whatever they relate to "bad characters".
And, in addition, I've heard a lot of people asking me "I've been told you're a hacker (just because I used to configure wireless networks), so can't you fix my TV/microwave oven/washing machine? After all it's all about electronics" and getting upset when I answered "sorry, I don't even know what a TV is" (which is kind of real, as I just turn on the TV once in a while).

This. So very much this.

I heavily dislike what the word "hacker" means to people now-a-days. Nobody takes the meaning as it originally was anymore (except for people knowledgeable in computers, but even then they'll sometimes mistake it.)

Ah, well. Nothing one can do about it.

endotherm
December 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM
a few years old "Business Intelligence" was once top of the charts in my book, partly because it;s oxymoronic, and partly because it was vaporware that moved lots of money around without delivering on a technology.

script kiddie is another annoying one. I understand its origin is different, but nowadays when I hear it, it's being used by someone to marginalize a cyberthreat. "no ma'am, you are not being attacked by an evil hacker, its just an annoying script kidy."

sydbat
December 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Virus. And the completely wrong virii.

Every time there is some malware breakout for Windows, the media immediately calls it a "virus" and makes it seem like every computer on Earth is affected (effected??) and will explode into a gazillion pieces if "YOU do not follow the EXPERTS advice and update your anti virus software".

Also, as has been explained so often here, virii is not the plural of virus. It is not a Latin word. It does not make you look 1337. It is stupid. Stop using it.

Tristam Green
December 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM
virus. And the completely wrong virii.

Every time there is some malware breakout for windows, the media immediately calls it a "virus" and makes it seem like every computer on earth is affected (effected??) and will explode into a gazillion pieces if "you do not follow the experts advice and update your anti virus software".

Also, as has been explained so often here, virii is not the plural of virus. It is not a latin word. It does not make you look 1337. It is stupid. Stop using it.

<3

conradin
December 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Migrate. What, are we going somewhere? It also seems like we will be coming back.

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 05:01 PM
LOL! Just seems to me that on any fairly modern computer, with the large capacity hard drives out there these days, and with the way Linux actually works, "bloat" is a non-issue. Even on an 80 GB drive with a number of fully-loaded distros installed, most of which have more than one desktop environment installed, some including the so-called "bloated" KDE4, I don't feel like I'm seeing any performance issues. I think that "bloat" is much more of an issue in Windows than in Linux.

Hey! Computers are faster! Let's waste system resources on eye candy instead of producing advanced, powerful and quick applications!

Check out this, from 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMGbDJmgv0

Especially when the guy demonstrates live/real time video editing and 3D rendering on a PII.

By the way, do you know how Linux works? It's monolithic, not a microkernel. Bloat is an issue.

Linus even thinks it's becoming bloated - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10358024-16.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linus_torvalds_linux_bloated_huge/

RiceMonster
December 1st, 2010, 05:29 PM
"free as in speech/beer"
"bloat"
"the cloud"

czr114
December 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hey! Computers are faster! Let's waste system resources on eye candy instead of producing advanced, powerful and quick applications!

And then, when the apps are bloated and huge, let's throw our gear away and buy new stuff after one or two years.

Who cares about the mountains of ewaste and less affluent users being priced out? This new desktop effect is shiny! Oh look, Nautilus can manage by metadata now! It even makes coffee.

Random_Dude
December 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
"free as in speech/beer"

Could someone explain the "free as in beer" thing?
I've never understood that one.

Grenage
December 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM

It refers to free, like freedom - rather than getting something for free that you'd normally pay for (beer).

Not only is it a bad saying, but it's a bad saying that's over-used.

czr114
December 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Free as in beer means it has no price tag, as in it is a good being given away without compensation.

That's different from free as in software/speech, which means the user is being given rights to examine, modify, and redistribute the code without onerous IP restrictions.

sprocket10
December 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'd have to agree with "cloud", "iAnything" for computer-related buzzwords.

For general advertising most hated/overused buzzwords, definitely:
"innovative/innovation"
"diverse/diversity"
"solution/solutions"

I want to shoot myself whenever I hear a company's slogan: "We provide diverse, innovative solutions to YOUR problems!"

Grenage
December 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
I want to shoot myself whenever I hear a company's slogan: "We provide diverse, innovative solutions to YOUR problems!"

Lol, translating to: "We've got lots of products; one of them is bound to work!"

MasterNetra
December 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
hacker
free

hacker being misused ftw.
After all hackers don't actually break into stuff. Crackers do.

----

While not the largest offender, I believe "web 2.0" is probably on the list, which is nothing more then a marketing thing.

malspa
December 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM

Especially when the guy demonstrates live/real time video editing and 3D rendering on a PII.

By the way, do you know how Linux works? It's monolithic, not a microkernel. Bloat is an issue.

Linus even thinks it's becoming bloated - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10358024-16.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linus_torvalds_linux_bloated_huge/

And then, when the apps are bloated and huge, let's throw our gear away and buy new stuff after one or two years.

Who cares about the mountains of ewaste and less affluent users being priced out? This new desktop effect is shiny! Oh look, Nautilus can manage by metadata now! It even makes coffee.

From what I've seen, Linux is a lot better at handling things when lots of applications are open than Windows is. I can't say that I understand the reasons for this, though.

I'm using a computer that's about 6 years old -- bought it used. 2 GB RAM, 2 80 GB drive, nothing to brag about. No performance issues here. No running out and buying a new PC every two years or whatever.

And, compare the amount of hard drive space used for a typical Windows installation to the amount of space used for a Linux installation.

I think that Mr. Torvalds was talking about the Linux kernel, but not about too many applications sitting on the hard drive.

As dixiedancer said about "bloat" in another thread here (http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10087309):

An overused, misapplied, and subjective term IMO.

I agree.

But if some of us are of the opinion that the word "bloat" is overused, feel free to go right ahead and get all upset about it.

cra1g321
December 1st, 2010, 07:39 PM
''I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea''. Those commercials are so unbelievably annoying.

That definitely and "App Store" is starting to annoy me

red_Marvin
December 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM
I am unable to choose, as I find that any word that is taken
from it's origiginal context to be used as a selling argument
has it's soul ripped out.

UKBB
December 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
When a clueless person calls a computer a hard drive.

endotherm
December 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
When a clueless person calls a computer a hard drive.
the same people that call a tower the "CPU".
old computer education caused these kinds of misunderstandings a lot.

UKBB
December 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM

A PII that was using two processors, not very common back in 1999.

spoons
December 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Web 2.0 annoys me. Loosely applied to any website that's just discovered HTML5.

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
A PII that was using two processors, not very common back in 1999.

I doubt two PIIs are as powerful as (for example) a Pentium 4. You wouldn't be able to do a lot of the things he does in the video with a modern OS running on a P4. It would be too slow.

cap10Ibraim
December 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Linux

jrusso2
December 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
People who say some OS or GUI is faster or browser is faster yet they have no data, just seat of the pants.

forrestcupp
December 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
http://pedallas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tron.jpgWow! :lol:

"free as in speech/beer"

I abhor the "free as in beer" saying. It's ridiculous. I want to know where these people are from if the beer flows freely. ;)

Spice Weasel
December 1st, 2010, 09:51 PM
Do his legs look shopped, or is it just me?

endotherm
December 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
Wow! :lol:

I abhor the "free as in beer" saying. It's ridiculous. I want to know where these people are from if the beer flows freely. ;)

you weren't around in the 70's when all this was invented. the beer did in fact flow. it was a different time.

I've always held that if I give you a beer, you may drink it, or do pretty much whatever you want with it, but if you throw it in my face, pour it in my fish tank, or in a state of inebriation, pee on my floor, then you are out! but you can talk your mind if you want.

aaaantoine
December 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM
It refers to free, like freedom - rather than getting something for free that you'd normally pay for (beer).

Not only is it a bad saying, but it's a bad saying that's over-used.

Personally, I've gotten into the habit of referring to any "free" technological thing as either "gratis" (no price tag) or "libre" (no restrictions), depending on which term applies. Neither word really gets used in common English, and I prefer my words to be as unambiguous as possible.

Add those to the list if you want. :P

forrestcupp
December 1st, 2010, 11:07 PM
you weren't around in the 70's when all this was invented. the beer did in fact flow. it was a different time.Well, I was born in '72, so I'm not quite old enough to remember that. :)

Add those to the list if you want. :P

Gratis and libre are annoying, but they're way better than "free as in beer".

cartman640
December 2nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
For me it is marketing phrases like "mission critical" and "synergy" which annoy me. That and anything related to the Web 2.0 movement being used incorrectly.

cariboo
December 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
Wow! :lol:

I think the meaning seems to have changed over the years. free as in beer was beer that you made your self, just like a free operating system that you made yourself.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 2nd, 2010, 01:26 AM
The phrase "user experience" has been used so much it is worn out. What does "user experience" actually mean?

Another one is "cloud". Not everyone seems to agree on what the word means. When the word "cloud" is used, some people think of Virtualization of data centers also know as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) like Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud or Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, others think of Applications as a service (AaaS) like Google DOCs, others Storage as a Service (SaaS) like UbuntuOne, and so on. Just using the word "cloud" doesn't tell me very much.

aaaantoine
December 2nd, 2010, 03:59 AM
For me it is marketing phrases like "mission critical" and "synergy" which annoy me. That and anything related to the Web 2.0 movement being used incorrectly.

"Mission critical", IMO, is not so much marketing speak as it is a phrase describing a business component. For example, if a company's primary business is eCommerce (another buzzword, yeah, but it's an effective one), their website is considered mission-critical.

For an example of something not mission-critical, a restaurant's website is typically just a marketing piece.

Dustin2128
December 2nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hard drive space != performance. I could have a 6GB HDD with KDE4 installed, and if I had decent hardware, it'd run fine. I've got around 220GB storage on my desktop, but a pentium 4, geforce 4, and 1GB RAM; thus KDE4 runs horribly.

Windows Nerd
December 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
All of what you see on this thread already...

But my most hated overrused word with computer is the word hacker with the wrong context. Most people associate hacker = cracker. I HATE THIS. But I also love it when media gets the definition right. Tells you the author does their homework.

zer010
December 2nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
the same people that call a tower the "CPU".
old computer education caused these kinds of misunderstandings a lot.

Not really buzzwords, but like those, people who refer to the monitor as a computer....

Yougo
December 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Not really buzzwords, but like those, people who refer to the monitor as a computer....

This is becoming more and more true (again) though...

try explaining to these people that the workplace where they sit and the computer they work at could be in completely different places :P my mom has to work with citrix, ontop of a local desktop, and has to switch between them often. hit alt-f2 and alt-tab and your desktop is replaced by a desktop that looks the same, but doesn't have your files, but does show your windows in the taskbar. one thing is here, the other on a server, it's driving her nuts :P

cascade9
December 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
'Innovation'. I dislike 'the cloud' almost as much, but that actually means something...when you see laptop adds harping on about 'innovation' when its pretty much the same hardware (and exactly the same OS) as whateverbody else is using its just marketing. As in 'watch out, dont step in the marketing!'.

Hard drive space != performance. I could have a 6GB HDD with KDE4 installed, and if I had decent hardware, it'd run fine. I've got around 220GB storage on my desktop, but a pentium 4, geforce 4, and 1GB RAM; thus KDE4 runs horribly.

Actuallly, HDD space DOES impact perfromance. Bigger drives = higher data density = better transfer speeds.

BTW, I've use KDE 4.X on a similar systems (mainly a AMD 2200+ and Intel 2.53, with 512MB-1GB RAM, and a GF4Ti or GF6600GT. Yes, I played 'how does THIS run' with the RAM and video cards, swapping them around). While is was hardly a speed demon, it was usable.

sydbat
December 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
http://pedallas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tron.jpg

Do his legs look shopped, or is it just me?I really wish they would have "shopped" out his camel toe...

cariboo
December 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I really wish they would have "shopped" out his camel toe...

You can fix it with Gimp. :)

bmeakings
December 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Definitely cloud.

Gaming also has its share of buzzwords I hate:

Hacker - Referring to people who use cheat programs. They're cheaters FFS. Calling them hackers just makes them think they're cool.

Bottleneck - In its basic form, how component X affects component Y's performance. I suppose it's important in determining how to upgrade your system but the B word is really beginning to get on my nerves.

Gamer/Extreme/Hardcore edition - When used for hardware, it basically means shiny and overpriced.

forrestcupp
December 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
I just thought of one I hate almost as much as "cloud". It's "wiki".

Wikipedia, Wikimedia, wikiHow, WikiLeaks, Wikispaces, WikiMatrix, WoWWiki, and on and on and on ...

Spice Weasel
December 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Aye. Wikis are good, but the name is horrible. It is even worse when said out loud (especially when you have an IT teacher that pronounces it 'Wyekee')...

jjpcexpert
December 3rd, 2010, 06:01 PM
Unity.

The actual version has caused hellish disunity, but a GNOME Panel arrangement is one I like.

___________ for only $/£/¥__.99

It's a discount of 1 cent/pence from the estimate.

Windows 7

It's everywhere. I like it's touch features, but c'mon! It's got restrictive licensing. Why isn't there just one upgrade/install version?

The views in this post are those of Jack Johnson and if they represent other views, it is by pure coincidence.

jjpcexpert
December 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Definitely cloud.

Gaming also has its share of buzzwords I hate:

Hacker - Referring to people who use cheat programs. They're cheaters FFS. Calling them hackers just makes them think they're cool.

Bottleneck - In its basic form, how component X affects component Y's performance. I suppose it's important in determining how to upgrade your system but the B word is really beginning to get on my nerves.

Gamer/Extreme/Hardcore edition - When used for hardware, it basically means shiny and overpriced.

Usage of bad language by bmeakings highlighed in red.

Spice Weasel
December 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
What's so bad about For Fred's Sake?

Oxwivi
December 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
what's so bad about for fred's sake?
+5 :lol:

sydbat
December 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
What's so bad about For Fred's Sake?ZOMG!!1! You used that 4 letter word!!!!! BAN HIM!!! BAN HIM NOW!!!11!!

endotherm
December 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
ahh the ambiguity. is it the reader or the writer with the dirty mind. the world may never know.

JJ, my only problem with that post, is that I like the word 'bottleneck'.
imageine this sentence:

have you identified the {bottleneck| the specific component that is slowing down the other components} ?

samalex
December 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Agile and Cloud are the two biggies for me. Seems EVERY issue of SD Times has these two words no less than 3 times on the cover articles, and most other tech trade mags follow suit.

Following up to these is Social Networking.

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
December 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
A suite of software applications is not a Solution.
New hardware is not a Solution.
The minimum wage guy who plugs in ethernet cables is not a Solution.

Nothing like a game of Buzzword Bingo.

Enterprise-grade social cloud solution reliability assessment roadmap!

bmeakings
December 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM
ahh the ambiguity. is it the reader or the writer with the dirty mind. the world may never know.

JJ, my only problem with that post, is that I like the word 'bottleneck'.
imageine this sentence:

have you identified the {bottleneck| the specific component that is slowing down the other components} ?

I think the main reason I dislike the term is because the forums I usually browse - The Steam forums - has the question asked so many times I've developed some sort of pavlovian aversion against it. The effect on me is like asking a Linux user which is better out of GNOME and KDE :p

BTW, if "FFS" was considered against the rules I'm sorry. But I'm pretty sure stronger words have been used here 8-[

infestor
December 4th, 2010, 01:15 AM
mobile/mobility...how it is perceived: "if a thing is mobile, it is cool!"

i also detest the new smartphone hype

bananas4370
December 4th, 2010, 01:41 AM

I hate when people to applications as sexy.
Misspellings of Microsoft and Windows.

Cheers
Patrick

Ric_NYC
December 4th, 2010, 01:58 AM
"Sexy"...

Cell phones are "sexy"... Tablets are "sexy"...
:rolleyes:

3rdalbum
December 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM
*killer. Like "iPod killer".

MooPi
December 4th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Has anyone said "user friendly", & "the year of the linux desktop" kinda gets on my nerves too. I think it's already the year of the Linux desktop, because it's what I use :-)

phrostbyte
December 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
But we are talking about solutions that leverage core skillsets and world-class team synergy through sodomy to provide clients worldwide with robust, scalable, modern turnkey implementations of flexible, personalized, cutting-edge Internet-enabled e-business application product suite e-solution architectures that accelerate response to customer and real-world market demands and reliably adapt to evolving technology needs, seamlessly and efficiently integrating and synchronizing with their existing legacy infrastructure, enhancing the e-readiness capabilities of their e-commerce production environments across the enterprise while giving them a critical competitive advantage and taking them to the next level.

yetiman64
December 4th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Has anyone said "user friendly", .....Yep, in post #12 :), though you're more than welcome to it as I detest it ;)

...., & "the year of the linux desktop" kinda gets on my nerves too. I think it's already the year of the Linux desktop, because it's what I use :)
+ 1, agree stongly.

Edit: I just noted post #13, check it out MooPi :lol:

Spice Weasel
December 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Has anyone said "user friendly", & "the year of the linux desktop" kinda gets on my nerves too. I think it's already the year of the Linux desktop, because it's what I use :-)

I use it to refer to every single year.

"Happy year of the Linux desktop 2011!!!"

It has become more of a joke in recent times. :P

forrestcupp
December 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
But we are talking about solutions that leverage core skillsets and world-class team synergy through sodomy to provide clients worldwide with robust, scalable, modern turnkey implementations of flexible, personalized, cutting-edge Internet-enabled e-business application product suite e-solution architectures that accelerate response to customer and real-world market demands and reliably adapt to evolving technology needs, seamlessly and efficiently integrating and synchronizing with their existing legacy infrastructure, enhancing the e-readiness capabilities of their e-commerce production environments across the enterprise while giving them a critical competitive advantage and taking them to the next level.Wow, just wow!

I use it to refer to every single year.

"Happy year of the Linux desktop 2011!!!"

It has become more of a joke in recent times. :P
Lol. That's pretty good. Of course, if I said that around any of my family and friends, they'd just look at me like I'm an idiot and not have a clue what I'm talking about.

Yougo
December 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM
But we are talking about solutions that leverage core skillsets and world-class team synergy through sodomy to provide clients worldwide with robust, scalable, modern turnkey implementations of flexible, personalized, cutting-edge Internet-enabled e-business application product suite e-solution architectures that accelerate response to customer and real-world market demands and reliably adapt to evolving technology needs, seamlessly and efficiently integrating and synchronizing with their existing legacy infrastructure, enhancing the e-readiness capabilities of their e-commerce production environments across the enterprise while giving them a critical competitive advantage and taking them to the next level.

through what you say?

ALLWAYS read the fine print :biggrin:

A_T
December 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Ymmv

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2010, 05:14 AM
No-brainer.

owners4life5
December 11th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I was about to post hacker too. Even "technical" blogs use it to describe some programmers.

So I'll say... 'geek'. It's become so overused that it has lost its sacrosanctness and now you'll simply get everyone saying "omg I'm such a geek, I used twitter on my iphone durr hurr" with all of her friends conveying similar messages to her.

that is the way i feel. give 'them' a terminal, and tell them to update the kernel, then reboot.

ki4jgt
December 11th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Memory you never know what people are refering to HDD or RAM.

uRock
December 11th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hacker and virus. It seems that every malware conversation that comes up at school or around friends, they always refer to any vulnerability as being a virus. The look you get when you try to explain the difference and use the analogy, "that thing biting you leg can not be called a virus, it is a mosquito, but chances are it will give you a virus when it is done eating." Not every piece of malware can be called a virus.

toupeiro
December 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I really wish they would have "shopped" out his camel toe...

Pretty sure those are called buck knuckles on a guy...

Anyway, Cloud, cynergy, and scale are ones I typically dislike.

Arex Bawrin
December 11th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hacker, Open Source, 'free' software, cloud, and app.

I cry a little when I hear someone say there's an app for that.

weasel fierce
December 11th, 2010, 08:07 AM
"ready for the desktop"

"intuitive"

and any variation of "if linux wants to xxxx it must do xxxx"

StephenDavison
December 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Using the word "ping" to mean "to attempt to contact somebody", as-in "to find out the status of something." I apologize if this was submitted already: I didn't bother to read the previous posts.

bouncingwilf
December 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Have we all forgotten that appalling buzzword used by suits in the nineties (and later) "Paradigm" ??

Bouncingwilf

Spice Weasel
December 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hacker, Open Source, 'free' software, cloud, and app.

I cry a little when I hear someone say there's an app for that.

If you hate both open source and free software, what do you use?

graabein
December 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I have to go for 'automagically'. Like it's not pure logic in code and we know this.

KdotJ
December 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Virus. Used by non-technical everything is a virus, "I have a virus", "a virus must have got to my email account". When a word document gets unfortunately corrupt for whatever reason, "I must have gotten a virus"

Spice Weasel
December 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Virus. Used by non-technical everything is a virus, "I have a virus", "a virus must have got to my email account". When a word document gets unfortunately corrupt for whatever reason, "I must have gotten a virus"

"My GNOME panel has disappeared. It must be a virus."

I am not kidding. A family member said this to me.

lisati
December 11th, 2010, 12:47 PM
+1 for the misuse of the word "virus" for any kind of malware and/or stupidity.

ki4jgt
December 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
+2 for virus!

Johnsie
December 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
"Open Source"

A. Most people are not programmers so this is meaningless to them
B. Most programmers hate maintaining other peoples work
C. It would take a significant amount of work to make big changes to many apps
D. Most open source applications lack significant financial investment so don't do the job as well as other applications that do have significant financial investment. Detail stuff.

chucky chuckaluck
December 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM
"robust" shouldn't be used to describe software.

koenn
December 11th, 2010, 11:06 PM
"robust" shouldn't be used to describe software.

hm, why ?

AFAIK, robust software is software that deals well with unusual circumstances (heavy load, user stupidity, malicious input, ... ).

So it's a perfectly acceptable term to describe that, imo.

JDShu
December 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I also do not like "The Cloud". The IBM commercials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO03sasHFkI) are bad. The Microsoft commercials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lel3swo4RMc) are terrible.

chucky chuckaluck
December 12th, 2010, 12:00 AM
hm, why ?

AFAIK, robust software is software that deals well with unusual circumstances (heavy load, user stupidity, malicious input, ... ).

So it's a perfectly acceptable term to describe that, imo.

'Robust' implies having been outdoors.

Austin25
December 12th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Where does it (http://www.google.com/dictionary?q=robust&langpair=en|en&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NRUETY-2GYWvngeLg-DlDQ&ved=0CBYQmwMoAA) say outdoors?

Aries-Belgium
December 12th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Facebook: the Microsoft of the social networks.

toupeiro
December 12th, 2010, 02:03 AM
TWEET! I hate tweets....

forrestcupp
December 12th, 2010, 03:02 AM
'Robust' implies having been outdoors.It just means strong or healthy.

Facebook: the Microsoft of the social networks.
I hate it when people use "Facebook" as a verb. "I Facebooked John yesterday."

Austin25
December 12th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I hate it when people use "Facebook" as a verb. "I Facebooked John yesterday."

I agree. Names are not verbs. Twitter makes another good example.

chucky chuckaluck
December 12th, 2010, 03:42 AM
It just means strong or healthy.

Exactly.

JDShu
December 12th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Names become generic all the time.

Verbs:
To Google (a subject)
To Photoshop (somebody's face)
To Tase (a rioter)
To Zip (up your jeans)

Not a big deal to me.

markp1989
December 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I hear the word "lag" get used alot out of context when on xbox live, I often hear "He lagged it" when another has cheated (by bosting or some other method) even if there was no issue of lag there.

HappinessNow
December 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Nah cloud is to ethereal to be hated, Woot really pushes my buttons!

ericmc783
December 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Some very good ones here.

I will say "virus", as in, when the slightest thing goes wrong with a particular program, people ask "is this a virus" and "could this be a virus?". ugh......

trekrem
December 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Are you thinking of rugged? Which I guess I could see being associated with the outdoors more than robust.

Not exactly computer related more corporate/management speak, although I see it in email at my current job all the time... 'Going forward', god I hate that term. Why not just say 'from now on'?

For example... "We have been using the TPS report form since 2005, from now on, please use the CSQ report form."

radar920
December 13th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'll take "app" for 100, Chuck...

This..

I hate the word "app".

holes88
December 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
"cloud" "app" "apple"

Barrucadu
December 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM
"cloud", "web 2.0", "app".

Argh, so irritating.

handy
December 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM
cutting edge

wishyjr
December 13th, 2010, 10:58 AM
"People Ready"

how ****ing condescending is that please?

Random_Dude
December 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
"People Ready"

how ****ing condescending is that please?

Never heard. But agree.

aytech
December 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
first thing that comes to my head: "PC" as in "Windows"

Spice Weasel
December 13th, 2010, 12:00 PM
first thing that comes to my head: "PC" as in "Windows"

I want to shoot someone at Microsoft for that "I'm a PC" ad... It put me off TV, for like, forever. I barely watched it before that.

forrestcupp
December 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Names become generic all the time.

Verbs:
To Google (a subject)
To Photoshop (somebody's face)
To Tase (a rioter)
To Zip (up your jeans)

Not a big deal to me.Using Google and Photoshop as verbs is just as annoying as using Facebook as a verb.

"People Ready"

how ****ing condescending is that please?When you think about it, that's not nearly as bad as "Fool proof". That's about like saying "It's so easy a caveman could use it." :)

sydbat
December 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
cutting edgeDon't forget "Bleeding Edge". Put a damn band-aide on it.

MisterGaribaldi
December 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
don't forget "bleeding edge". Put a damn band-aide on it.

rofl! +1

aytech
December 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I want to shoot someone at Microsoft for that "I'm a PC" ad... It put me off TV, for like, forever. I barely watched it before that.

You must admit, Novell ads (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eTguZ5OzJ4&feature=related) are hilarious despite of the "PC" thing

Dustin2128
December 15th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Ack- new one. "Automagically", saw it on some apple commercial. I just hate it so much...

lisati
December 15th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I wonder if someone should review this thread in its entirety, and "do a powerpoint" :D

Endomancer
December 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
:D yes a photoshopped powerpoint that automajically retweets itself whenever someone clicks the "big blue E"

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
virus. And the completely wrong virii.

Also, as has been explained so often here, virii is not the plural of virus. It is not a latin word. It does not make you look 1337. It is stupid. Stop using it.

This times a million.

gupti
December 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Windows. Especially when I'm arguing with my friends on which OS is best (I'm not the one saying windows).

uRock
December 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I wonder if someone should review this thread in its entirety, and "do a powerpoint" :D
That'd be a fun topic to cover.

@gupti I prefer to hear Windows instead of one of the many mockeries that people use. When I talk about Windows with people I usually use XP, Vista or Seven, respectively.

steveneddy
March 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Be careful before you chuckaluck it!

):P

~Hinterland
March 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM
'Unlimited' data plans

Dustin2128
March 13th, 2011, 08:39 PM
'Unlimited' data plans
Yeah, that one's got to be one of the worst offenders

Paddy Landau
March 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
anyone uses you-buh-ntuu? i'm using you-buh-ntuu. you-buh-ntuu is way better than windows. you-buh-ntuu Just Works™. you should use you-buh-ntuu, too! i could install you-buh-ntuu for you right now, i always carry the you-buh-ntuu cd with me!
"Ubuntu" is a South African word, from Zulu and Xosa. Its pronunciation is (roughly) oo-boon-too, with the accent on the second syllable.

handy
March 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Unity, due to all the us vs. them crap that goes with it.

Dustin2128
March 14th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Unity, due to all the us vs. them crap that goes with it.
eh, I wouldn't consider that a buzzword. Buzzwords are basically words that sound good but carry little to no intrinsic meaning in context or at all.

handy
March 14th, 2011, 01:48 AM
eh, I wouldn't consider that a buzzword. Buzzwords are basically words that sound good but carry little to no intrinsic meaning in context or at all.

Like I said.

Dustin2128
March 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Like I said.
After thinking about it for a few seconds, I agree with you. The drama is just... ugh. It's unbecoming for a linux distro. Wait a second... ;)

handy
March 14th, 2011, 02:53 AM
After thinking about it for a few seconds, I agree with you. The drama is just... ugh. It's unbecoming for a linux distro. Wait a second... ;)

Its [edit:] being the argument, is /edit just plain boring...

I'll leave now. :)

wilee-nilee
March 14th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Its just plain boring...

I'll leave now. :)

What; no plug and play for you!!!:)

Foxcow
March 15th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I absolutely hate "app"

Paddy Landau
March 15th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I don't know if this counts as a computer buzzword, although that's where it started: the word "lol". It used to mean that you're laughing (laugh out loud), but people have overused it so much it has no meaning any more. It's more like punctuation instead.

For a while, my one son and his friends stopped laughing and said "lol" instead -- surely it's not healthy to forget how to laugh?