PDA

View Full Version : Always have a Ubuntu CD with you!!

simpleblue
December 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
For kicks I've been carrying a Ubuntu CD with me in my backpack.

I went to hang out at a friends house and they told me about the issues they were having with their Windows XP. I told them very briefly about Linux and said I could have the computer fixed within 15 minutes if they wanted to try it. They said 'yes.'

Before:

- Screen dimmed to the point of almost not being able to see it
- Sound too low to comfortably listen to
- 5 or so popups (security and others) at startup
- Net not connecting
- The second time installing because of viruses
- Slow bootup and freezing

After:

- Bright screen
- Sound working
- No popups
- Net connecting first time
- Fast bootup
- Everything we tested is working
- I am apparently a computer god for being able to install this, lol :p

Always bring a Ubuntu CD with you!

To save space you can bring a USB flash key chain with Ubuntu on it. ;)

And even better, you could take a snapshot of your system with remastersys and have everything (codecs/vlc/banshee...) automatically installed and ready to go, while leaving all your personal stuff out of it:

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

Timmer1240
December 1st, 2010, 05:06 AM
I love Ubuntu all my friends have the idea if its linux its harder than windows and arent even interested.Well constantly cleaning up malware spyware browser redirect problems ect. ect.doesnt seem vary user friendly to me so Im sticking with Ubuntu!My friends windows machines are always screwed up in one way or another Mine just keeps on keeping on!

TiBaal89
December 1st, 2010, 05:14 AM
Hahaha, awesome... you're a computer GOD. Sounds good to me. :D

I did that once, hoping to have a similar experience. Rather, when the opportunity presented itself, I found that the CD and its case had broken into thousands of pieces inside my bag. Oops!

CharlesA
December 1st, 2010, 05:20 AM
I have a copy of Ubuntu 10.04 (both desktop and server) on my multiboot thumb drive.

It's come in handy more then a few times.

earthpigg
December 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM
i keep an LTS cd in my trunk.

CoffeeCoder
December 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
I've got a Ubuntu DVD I have in very easy reach, in case someone contacts me with a computer problem and it might come in handy...and it might help make another convert. :P

witeshark17
December 1st, 2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah, Very good idea! :KS

julio_cortez
December 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
I have a copy of Ubuntu 10.04 (both desktop and server) on my multiboot thumb drive.
It's come in handy more then a few times.
Yeah, I have something like it, too. Just 10.04 desktop (x86), but it came in help more than once, especially fixing that odious "C:\Windows\system32\config\system: file corrupted or missing" issue (that happens every now and then in XP) or backing up data from refusing-to-boot machines before repartitioning/reinstalling them.

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have a 9.04 and a 9.10 disk out to people trying out Ubuntu, I keep my 10.10 disk at home. I also have 9.10 on a 2gb pen drive I carry with me just in case ;)

I like the idea of taking an image of your system with remastersys, I will look into that tonight ;)