PDA

View Full Version : Boot USB Not Loading for Maverick Netbook

szczecinmeister
December 1st, 2010, 04:39 AM
I installed the desktop beta on a usb drive and it was complaining about not being able to find the syslinux kernel(?) basically it couldn't load it as a boot device.

I figured it was something wrong with the way I put it on the usb drive, so I used a later non-beta version and it got to the loading screen - GREAT - but ran into more problems. I could do the scans - and did them they were all fine. Then I went to install it and it didn't install - it just came up with a huge amount of text on the screen. I could use commands like ls, but I was at a loss.

So again, I figured it was the installer, so I downloaded the netbook edition just last night, and now it's at "SYSLINUX 3.82 2009-06-09 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2009 H. Peter Anvin et al" the cursor just flashes and goes nowhere

Help is very much appreciated, and I thank you kindly.

~~ Background knowledge ~~
It might help to know...
This is on an Asus 1001px
It had lucid lynx installed. I attempted to use the recovery partition to put windows XP back on, and it seemed to work, brought up symantec ghost etc. Next thing I know grub is confused and I'm left with a netbook-sized doorstop. By confused I mean "error: unknown filesystem. <linebreak> grub rescue> _"