PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04 tells me I am running short of disk space

10.04newbie
November 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The system keeps reporting that I have only 500MB(approx) disk space left, yet when I check the properties of all of the directories in terms of disk space used, the total comes out at 10GB approx , wheras gparted tells me I have used 25GB. How can this possibly be ??

cariboo
November 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Could you open an Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type:

df -h

and paste the output in you next post?

10.04newbie
November 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Here is the output :-

.Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 27G 25G 520M 98% /
none 371M 348K 371M 1% /dev
none 375M 300K 375M 1% /dev/shm
none 375M 328K 375M 1% /var/run
none 375M 0 375M 0% /var/lock
none 375M 0 375M 0% /lib/init/rw

ppv
November 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
It has been used to 25GB...

10.04newbie
November 30th, 2010, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE][It has been used to 25GB/QUOTE]

I know that's what the system is telling me but it is not borne out by the usage indicated when I check the size of each individual folder in the file system !

akand074
November 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE][It has been used to 25GB/QUOTE]

I know that's what the system is telling me but it is not borne out by the usage indicated when I check the size of each individual folder in the file system !

The usage indicated when you check the size of each individual folder doesn't include hidden folders. Some applications store a lot of data in hidden folders.

lobralleo
December 1st, 2010, 04:52 AM
You could start by cleaning the apt cache; from the terminal, just type:

sudo apt-get clean

This should make some space available - potentially up to a few GB, depending on how many updates your system has been through.

10.04newbie
December 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Akand074-My preferences are set to show all hidden files.

10.04newbie
December 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Apart from the drive activity light flashing for about 15 minutes, sudo apt-get clean did not achieve anything. Usage still showing as 25gb

Apart from the recommended system updates, the only other large package I have installed is Kaffeine. I have not created any data in my home folder .What would you assume the disk usage should be ?

baddnady23
December 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Please try the
sudo apt-get cleancommand and repost the output of
df -h

Zimmer
December 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Thumbnails??? do you do a lot of picture processing?
Install Geequi and go edit>preferences>thumbnail maintenance to delete old thumbnails..

Use the disk useage analyzer to check the /home folder

coffeecat
December 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM

Which individual folders have you checked? Did you check the /root folder? A fairly common cause for this situation is if you have ever deleted files with a root nautilus. They will still be sitting there in root's trash.

10.04newbie
December 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Have already done this, baddnady23 (see above) and the output of df -h is the same as before.

All folders were checked (root folder has 5gb) and I had already taken this into account.

I don't do picture processing so no problem with thumbnails.

philinux
December 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM
Have already done this, baddnady23 (see above) and the output of df -h is the same as before.

All folders were checked (root folder has 5gb) and I had already taken this into account.

I don't do picture processing so no problem with thumbnails.

Check this out. My / partition only has used about 4 gig. It could be backup files or root trash.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoverLostDiskSpace

Or you've some large files in your home folder.

10.04newbie
December 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks Coffeecat - You've hit the nail on the head. My root folder has a cross on it, so I used Nautilus to open it and, sure enough, the trash folder contained over 17GB, which I have now deleted.

akand074
December 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Akand074-My preferences are set to show all hidden files.

Even so. I found out the other day when I had 15GB space left in my 1TB hard drive. I checked all my folders and particularly one folder I have a hidden folder with 175GB of stuff. When I checked properties of the folder that contained that 175GB folder it didn't come up. Only hidden folders that are actually selected are included. So if you have it "show hidden folders" then check the properties of /home, it won't count your hidden files within /home, but if you wen to /home/username/ and highlight everything including hidden files it will count them (but none in the subfolders if you have any hidden there).

Unless you already did that. Well then not sure. Has to be something. Your filesystem (the OS and applications) should really not be more than like 7-9GB. Is your entire hard drive 25G? My 1TB hard drive only has 918GB usable after formatting it. so if you have a 25GB hard drive you'll only have about 21GB usable I'd say.