PDA

View Full Version : Lightworks video editor beta available

forrestcupp
November 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Some people here know that Lightworks (http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=registers) recently became open source. The beta is finally available, and you can register for it at the link.

I'm pretty sure they have a Linux version. I haven't downloaded it yet, but the screenshot looks awesome.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
No, they don't have a Linux version (yet) but they say they will start developing one in a while.

forrestcupp
November 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Well, at least they have a working version and it's headed in the right direction.

samalex
November 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I just got an email about the pubic beta (guess I'm on their mailing list somehow)... Blah on not having a Linux version, but I wonder how well this'll work with Wine? It also says some Matrox Video for Windows Codec is required which I bet would choke in Wine. Might try it tonight.

forrestcupp
November 30th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I installed it in Win7. When I opened it, it went through the initialization, then just closed. Boo.

linuxforartists
December 1st, 2010, 05:41 AM
If anyone gets Lightworks and uses it, I'd appreciate hearing their comments. I've been watching Lightworks ever since EditShare announced they were opening it up.

It'd be awesome for Linux to have something that can rival Final Cut Pro.

CoffeeCoder
December 1st, 2010, 06:05 AM
If they port it over to Linux within the next couple of years, I see no need to purchase a Mac, ever. :D

forrestcupp
December 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
If anyone gets Lightworks and uses it, I'd appreciate hearing their comments. I've been watching Lightworks ever since EditShare announced they were opening it up.

I tried, but I couldn't get it to work at all. It just keeps closing right after the initialization. I even set it to XP SP3 compatibility. Maybe it doesn't work with 64-bit.

forrestcupp
December 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
For the people who care, I found out how to get it working in Win7 64-bit. It's a known issue, but there is a workaround. You have to go to the program's folder and start it by running the 'ntcardvt.exe' file. Then you'll have to force close the program. After that, you can open it normally with Lightworks' shortcut without having to force close it. If you keep running the ntcardvt.exe file, you'll have to keep force closing it.

Personally, I don't like it at all. If I really needed it, I'm sure I could learn it and like it, but I have Sony Vegas, so I'm not going to put that kind of time into Lightworks. It's too different to just pick it up quickly. But for people who don't have other good options, it may turn out to be good stuff.

Right now, it only picked up my avi files. It didn't recognize any of my mpgs. It has kind of a pretty UI, though.

sydbat
December 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
I wonder if it would work in a virtualbox XP?

DeadSuperHero
December 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM
I can't wait for the native client. :D

Any idea as to what toolkit the client is being written in?

forrestcupp
December 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM
I can't wait for the native client. :D

Any idea as to what toolkit the client is being written in?

Well, the Windows version doesn't look native at all, so I doubt if they're using any widely used toolkit. It doesn't have any standard menus or controls. It looks like they just draw everything manually.

alexan
December 1st, 2010, 10:53 PM
I'll put this software on my "list to consider" in the late 2011.

* Support for Linux and OSX is scheduled for late 2011

Until then.. I've better stuff to wine/vm

AlexDS
December 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
For the people who care, I found out how to get it working in Win7 64-bit. It's a known issue, but there is a workaround. You have to go to the program's folder and start it by running the 'ntcardvt.exe' file. Then you'll have to force close the program. After that, you can open it normally with Lightworks' shortcut without having to force close it. If you keep running the ntcardvt.exe file, you'll have to keep force closing it.

Personally, I don't like it at all. If I really needed it, I'm sure I could learn it and like it, but I have Sony Vegas, so I'm not going to put that kind of time into Lightworks. It's too different to just pick it up quickly. But for people who don't have other good options, it may turn out to be good stuff.

Right now, it only picked up my avi files. It didn't recognize any of my mpgs. It has kind of a pretty UI, though.

What version of Wine do you have ?

forrestcupp
December 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM
What version of Wine do you have ?

I'm running it in Windows 7. I haven't tried it in wine.

AlexDS
December 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm running it in Windows 7. I haven't tried it in wine.

i have tried with wine 1.2 and nothing :| It doesn't open

forrestcupp
December 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
i have tried with wine 1.2 and nothing :| It doesn't open

Did you try installing the necessary codecs first? Who knows if that will work with wine?

As for me, I didn't like it enough to put any more work into it. If I didn't already have the latest Vegas, it might be a different story. At least we know they're working on a native Linux port.