PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Latitude C840 graphics driver

metalmaniac248
November 30th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hi there

I'm trying to get a dell latitude up and running with Ubuntu maverick and for the most part it seems to work OK

The big issue though is that i can't get the graphics drivers working, (it has a nvidia gefore 440 go in it) there is no drivers in the additional drivers windows (System > Admin > additional drivers) and i tried installing the nvidia-glx-96 which claims to be compatible with gefore 440 however no luck.

Any clues what I should be doing here?

Fafler
November 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
What happens when you try to install the 96 drivers from the terminal? The Open Source driver for the card should already be installed and people claims it works quite well. Can you use that? You probably already are.

metalmaniac248
December 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
The 96 driver installs, but then in additional drivers it shows as installed but not in use
And I'm fairly sure I'm not using the driver because I can't get any desktop effects working and video playback is terrible.

souta95
December 9th, 2010, 12:30 AM
There are issues with the legacy Nvidia drivers and Ubuntu 10.10. I learned this when I was messing around with my Latitude C840.

In addition to that there is problems with a bug in the LCD screen's firmware which causes resolution issues. I am currently trying to get Ubuntu 10.04 working on mine (the Nvidia-96 driver works in 10.04). So far no luck as I am getting really strange issues.

My forum post regarding my issues: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1640614