PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Text File Icons

squrl
November 30th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have searched but not finding much. I would like to remove the icon that is attached to text files so there is no icon on a text file.

So far I have edited the icon so it doesnt show up. That requires a new blank icon and has to be applied to every new file to make it effective.

The questions are --- Where are the icons parked or kept. What is the name of the icon for text files. Is there another way to create a text file without an icon? Maybe better yet is there a how to for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks

squrl
November 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
bump

Hippytaff
November 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure you can 'not' have an icon :-s

you can hide the files by putting a . in front of the name ie .textfile

AlphaLexman
November 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Are you using 'nautilus'?

Nautilus will read the first few lines of a text file and put the text into the icon. How much text depends on the size of your icon.

It might be too much trouble, but you could just put a few blank lines at the beginning of your files.

squrl
December 1st, 2010, 12:43 AM
I am using nautilus but.... I want to get rid of the icon period. It isn't whats in the icon its just having it create more clutter

bug67
December 1st, 2010, 01:51 AM
Try poking around in /usr/share/icons. You'll need administrative privileges to change anything. Alternately, if you just want to change the icon itself to something of your own choosing, right click on the file and then choose "properties." Click on the icon box and navigate to whatever .png you wish to use.