PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] installing on a brand new blank hard drive

Victor Anderson
November 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi all, I am new to linux and have searched over a period of days on the internet for any reference to installing XUBUNTU 10.10 onto a brand new hard drive that has no operating system on it I have successfuly made the CD using this PC I am on now and Nero Burning Rom from my Nero 9 aplication but I have built a new PC that I wish to put XUMBUTU onto, has anyone any ideas please, with windows it is easy but I am at a loss with Linux.

Cheers.
Victor

Hippytaff
November 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hi and welcome :-)

If you instert a live cd and enter the boot menu in the bios...choose boot from cd and then you should be able to install it by following the instructions...should work with any buntu variation, but I've only tried with Ubuntu

Victor Anderson
November 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hi and welcome :-)

If you instert a live cd and enter the boot menu in the bios...choose boot from cd and then you should be able to install it by following the instructions...should work with any buntu variation, but I've only tried with Ubuntu

Cheers mate, that is a big help, do you plug into your internet router before installing as I will have to wait till the bad weather in the North clears to allow me to get to the computer shop to get a modem cable long enough.

Cheers.
Vic:D

Hippytaff
November 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM
It's a good idea to be plugged by ethernet so that when the installation detects hardware it can download and install the correct modules (drivers). It is recommended :-)

You can try it without, would just mean things might not work 'out of the box' and you'll have to add the drivers when you manage to get online.

Victor Anderson
November 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
It's a good idea to be plugged by ethernet so that when the installation detects hardware it can download and install the correct modules (drivers). It is recommended :-)

You can try it without, would just mean things might not work 'out of the box' and you'll have to add the drivers when you manage to get online.

Cheers mate, that is the info I have been searching for these last few days, thank a lot, a great christmas present, haha.

Vic :D

Hippytaff
November 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
No problem...Glad to be of service.

Remeber to mark the tread as solved in the thread tools at the top of the page for others with the same question :-)

Enjoy the Xubuntu :-)