PDA

View Full Version : How do you suppose this computer would work...

totalshredder
February 21st, 2005, 03:08 AM
Hey guys,

This might be the wrong forum to put this in, but I couldn't find any other places that looked good for it to go. MODs feel free to move it :)

Anyways, I am trying to get a quick PC for under 300 dollars for home use. It would run ubuntu. How do you fellows think this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1157241&CatId=336) computer would work? I would be able to add 512 RAM and a wireless card, which would bring it up to about two-fifty.

Here's what I want to know from you experienced linux users :)
Would this computer run ubuntu speedily? I mean, like, really well. I know having a P3 is infinitely better than having a celeron of the same speed (which is what I have now)
Would ubuntu be able to pick up my wireless card? (here (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=783131&CatId=368) )
And last; In your personal opinion, what do you think I should get to enhance the computer with the last 50 bucks? (I'm thinking a DVD-R or a Huge HD)

Thanks a lot guys, I would be really interested to hear what you guys have to say!!

Luke

TravisNewman
February 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM
I think that PC would run fine, especially with the ram upgrade. It runs amazingly on a 500 MHz with 512 megs of pc133 ram, so surely a 933 would as well.

I'd suggest getting a bigger hard drive, or another hard drive at least, and a dvd-r would be nice-- I still don't have one yet ;)

But I don't know about any wireless card-- I've never used wireless in Linux before, I've only used it when setting up wifi for others, and they all used Windows.

jdong
February 21st, 2005, 03:54 AM
I strongly recommend that RAM upgrade. Everything else looks ideal for Ubuntu and Linux in general.

darkoptix
February 21st, 2005, 04:43 AM
I'm running right now on a P3 600mhz quite well. I only have 256 ram in the computer right now, and it works, but with a ram upgrade, it would run perfectly.
I tried doom3 on it today, and it works pretty well, not playable, but better than what I would expect.
This PC looks like it wouldn't have any hardware problems, but i'm not one to say anything about wireless cards, as I have not tried them myself, even in windows.

totalshredder
February 21st, 2005, 04:46 AM
I'm running right now on a P3 600mhz quite well. I only have 256 ram in the computer right now, and it works, but with a ram upgrade, it would run perfectly.
I tried doom3 on it today, and it works pretty well, not playable, but better than what I would expect.
This PC looks like it wouldn't have any hardware problems, but i'm not one to say anything about wireless cards, as I have not tried them myself, even in windows.
Thanks a lot for your opinions. I still want to know how I would be able to deal with a wireless card... If it isn't possible I guess I could just run a really long cord down to the basement ;)

Luke

TravisNewman
February 21st, 2005, 04:54 AM
Well, some wireless cards pick up just fine in Linux, and some have to have the ndiswrapper, which is a pain but doable. I assume that some just flat out don't work at all. What kind of wireless card do you have? That would help someone who has more experience than me tell you how easy it is to get it set up. And if you haven't bought the card yet, you can find out which ones work well and get one of those.

poofyhairguy
February 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM
Hey guys,

This might be the wrong forum to put this in, but I couldn't find any other places that looked good for it to go. MODs feel free to move it :)

Anyways, I am trying to get a quick PC for under 300 dollars for home use. It would run ubuntu. How do you fellows think this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1157241&CatId=336) computer would work? I would be able to add 512 RAM and a wireless card, which would bring it up to about two-fifty.

Would this computer run ubuntu speedily? I mean, like, really well. I know having a P3 is infinitely better than having a celeron of the same speed (which is what I have now)
Would ubuntu be able to pick up my wireless card? (here (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=783131&CatId=368) )
And last; In your personal opinion, what do you think I should get to enhance the computer with the last 50 bucks? (I'm thinking a DVD-R or a Huge HD)

Thanks a lot guys, I would be really interested to hear what you guys have to say!!

Luke

Everything sounds good but the wireless card. The one you want to get requires windows drivers and mild hacking- not advised.

I personally bought another card when I got Linux that worked out of the box just so that I wouldn't have to mess with NDISWRAPPER. My Prism card sure works nice. Research a little in Google and find a better wireless.

For the extra money I advise you get a FASTER hardisk. Will make the whole thing run faster.

totalshredder
February 21st, 2005, 03:23 PM
Everything sounds good but the wireless card. The one you want to get requires windows drivers and mild hacking- not advised.

I personally bought another card when I got Linux that worked out of the box just so that I wouldn't have to mess with NDISWRAPPER. My Prism card sure works nice. Research a little in Google and find a better wireless.

For the extra money I advise you get a FASTER hardisk. Will make the whole thing run faster.

I really like the thought of a faster hard disk. I'm not really the type of guy that needs space on my computer, I've had to be a real miser at times, and would be happy with just 5 gigs or so.

I did not buy the card yet, I would very happily chose another card if it would work for linux. I only picked that card because it was the cheapest one that had a name I trusted. What should I look for in a new wireless card? Right now my wireless router is a 802.11b linksys. I would like to get a faster wireless card though, as I am planning on going up a level.

Thanks a lot

Luke

TravisNewman
February 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
The wireless router doesn't really matter from my experience. Belkin, Linksys, and D-Link cards and routers all work together, at least. It's all the same protocol, so it should all work together. If you want to upgrade the router to 802.11g, I'd advise D-link. I've NEVER had any problems with those (used to work for a local computer shop and did a lot of on-site wireless networking).

And sorry, I completely missed the link in your original post to the wireless card.

poofyhairguy
February 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
I did not buy the card yet, I would very happily chose another card if it would work for linux. I only picked that card because it was the cheapest one that had a name I trusted. What should I look for in a new wireless card? Right now my wireless router is a 802.11b linksys. I would like to get a faster wireless card though, as I am planning on going up a level.

802.11g cards and Linux don't go together to well. The b standard suits me fine. If you want something more, look here:

http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php

totalshredder
February 21st, 2005, 08:19 PM
Alright, I'm getting you guys on this. What about getting a wireless USB adapter, like such (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=866783&CatId=369) . How compatable are they for ubuntu/linux in general? That would be great because of it's versitility.

Thanks for your opinions!

Luke

Seandq
February 21st, 2005, 09:04 PM
Hey guys,

Luke
That computer's faster than mine which runs fast on Ubuntu.

jdong
February 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
USB wireless NIC's are a bad idea -- pain to get to work. May not even work with NDiswrapper.

poofyhairguy
February 21st, 2005, 09:22 PM
Alright, I'm getting you guys on this. What about getting a wireless USB adapter, like such (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=866783&CatId=369) . How compatable are they for ubuntu/linux in general?

They are "compatible" in the sense that you can use NDISWRAPPER to force the windows drivers to work. Basically I am saying it will work if you hack it to work. If you want a card that JUST WORKS (in my opinion) you need a card with a Prism chipset.

For laptops, I find that a Linksys WPC11 v.3 works great of the box (I sold my v.4 on ebay and got a v.3 instead just because I hate messing with NDISWRAPPER).

For desktops, nothing beats my WMP11 PCI card. Hoary got it to work with my wireless router on the install without me even telling it my SSID!

USB, 802.11g and such newer cards can work. I'm not going to say its not possible. In fact, a bet a Unix wizard would laugh at me for saying nsdiswrapper is hard (because to me hard= setting without a GUI). But I personally prefer hardware that autoconfigures itself to work with Ubuntu.

JayCnrs
February 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
As far as wireless I didn't even try setting it up I just ran a CAT5 cable down to my basement from the second floor. I am running Ubuntu on a 800 mhz PIII with 256 MB of RAM, running no problem and fast enough for me.

br0adband
February 22nd, 2005, 01:29 AM
My fiancee and I are in process of switching to Ubuntu from Windows XP. Currently her DWL-G510 card does not work under Ubuntu, and we've been having some issues trying to get MadWiFi to support it (since it uses an Atheros chipset).

She hasn't tried ndiswrapper yet but I'll bet that doesn't work either.

If anyone around here is using Ubuntu (any flavor) and a D-link DWL-G510 PCI adapter or a D-link DWL-G630 PC card adapter please give me a shout out and perhaps with your assistance we'll be able to resolve our issues and get her desktop with the G510 and my laptop with the G630 up and running.

Thanks,

Paul

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2005, 05:32 AM
She hasn't tried ndiswrapper yet but I'll bet that doesn't work either.l

I bet its the best shot you have. The newer versions work well if you can do it.