PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New sounds

johnnie1uk
November 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Is it possible to add new sounds to be used as notifications. if so how do i go about it please.

Wobblybob
November 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
For Gnome desktop, the sounds for startup etc are stored here

/usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo

you could just replace them with sound files of your own in .ogg format. If you want to do this via GUI interface open a root instance of the nautilus explorer by opening a Terminal [Applications], [Accessories], [Terminal] and typing

gksudo nautilus

press enter and then enter your password, nautilus will open as root and you can navigate to the above folder to copy your new sound into it.

johnnie1uk
November 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks very much

Liverbones
December 1st, 2010, 01:28 AM
Honestly, while that is a working solution, it's a bit clunky. It sounds like what you're wanting is a separate sound theme from the default Ubuntu sound theme, and this is almost as easy to do as simply replacing the sounds in the Ubuntu theme. Honestly, creating a new sound theme is remarkably easy.

To do it graphically, simply open Nautilus as root (gksudo nautilus) and go to /usr/share/sounds. From there, create a new directory for your sound theme and name it whatever you like (you could even copy the ubuntu/ directory as a template for your sound theme). Inside your new directory you will need a stereo/ directory and a plain-text file called index.theme. The index.theme file contains some information about your new sound theme, like so:

[Sound Theme]
Name=Theme Name Here
directories=stereo

[stereo]
OutputProfile=stereo

Save the index.theme file, then proceed adding your sound files to the stereo/ directory. The Ubuntu sound theme contains great examples of the name scheme for the files.

The only reason I'm suggesting this as opposed to the previous solution is because this one is rather bullet-proof: you're creating a brand new sound theme as opposed to overwriting one that's already there. This means that if, at any point in the future, the Ubuntu sound theme gets an update, your sound theme won't be overwritten by the update. When possible, I highly recommend keeping things separate as opposed to editing the themes that come with the system, just so you don't have to go back and redo anything.

Hope that was helpful. If you need me to explain anything further, just let me know. :)

johnnie1uk
December 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks again. very usefull information

johnnie1uk
December 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Just put on some new sounds and all working great, thanks again.

A-Brit-in-spain.blogspot.com

hellblazer
December 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
whoops sorry! maybe I need glasses, or more sleep.

move along nothing to see here