PDA

View Full Version : Going to use 100% for a DJ gig next Saturday!!

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
The time has come, 10.10 has been super-stable, Mixxx is working well with my custom skin and mapped control surface, sound is great, touchscreen working well...

I am doing my first gig 100% Ubuntu and open source rather than XP and VirtualDJ! :P

It is next Saturday (5th December) at The Night Owl in Cheltenham, the night is RAGE which is rock metal and punk, its FREE entry and we stay open till 5am!!!

If you are in the area please try to pop along and see how I get on ;)

I've got to be honest I am a little scared in case anything goes wrong and I have to eat my words about Ubuntu with some of my Mac fanboy collegues :D

NightwishFan
November 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I would test out Mixxx throughly. It is a great piece of software but I have found it to crash at odd times. :/

nlsthzn
November 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Good luck, hope it works out for you (but I agree... test test test)!

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Ohh yes I am fully aware of that! ;)
This is why I havent done it before, on Karmic I found Mixxx would occasionally shut down when analysing tracks. Since 10.10 that hasnt been a problem, I have put a playlist on and let it run for over 24 hours without a glitch. Ive also done some dry runs in my studio for a few hours with me mixing and using all the kit for that time, again not a problem :)

Guarenteed if there is a problem it will be when I least need it (ie live in the club!) but I am prepared. Ill be taking my XP hard drive with me so if worst comes to the worst I can swap drives and finish the show, also I take a CD case with a selection of the most popular and obvious tunes so I can just return to doing it the old fashioned way (I ALWAYS have a tune cued up on a deck anyways in case of emergencies)

Spice Weasel
November 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Good luck, hope it all turns out well. :D

Oxwivi
November 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Post back on how it turns out, yo!

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks all! Hopefully I will come back with positive results! :)

Dragonbite
November 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Good Luck!

Gotta post how it went, and any improvements you'd like to see!

madjr
November 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
can u give us a pic of your dj desktop?

Ozor Mox
November 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Awesome! I've played around with Mixxx, seemed cool. Hope it goes well!

julio_cortez
November 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
The time has come, 10.10 has been super-stable, Mixxx is working well with my custom skin and mapped control surface, sound is great, touchscreen working well...This is great news: I'm on 10.04 at the moment, and I can't use Mixxx because the waveform of the left deck (the upper one) doesn't display properly (it keeps appearing and disappearing). I guess it's due to me having an ATI card as it happens on Ubuntu 10.04, but it did exactly the same in Kubuntu 9.10 and Kubuntu 10.04.

Well, Mixxx performing properly will be a reason for me to update to 10.10 then!!

By the way, now I'm still making mixes on Windows 7 with Virtual DJ 2 (I've been using Virtual DJ on XP since v1 which I got off GameStop in 2004) and I'm finding it almost perfect for my needs (even if it has become kind of old).. But I'm looking forward to give Mixxx a fair second chance ;)

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM
This is great news: I'm on 10.04 at the moment, and I can't use Mixxx because the waveform of the left deck (the upper one) doesn't display properly (it keeps appearing and disappearing). I guess it's due to me having an ATI card as it happens on Ubuntu 10.04, but it did exactly the same in Kubuntu 9.10 and Kubuntu 10.04.

Well, Mixxx performing properly will be a reason for me to update to 10.10 then!!

Ok try changing your latency settings or pre-anaylse all your tracks and you should get your waveforms. Also I have designed a skin that works a lot better with waveforms, I will put it up soon.

10.10 is really good, I love it! :D

By the way, now I'm still making mixes on Windows 7 with Virtual DJ 2 (I've been using Virtual DJ on XP since v1 which I got off GameStop in 2004) and I'm finding it almost perfect for my needs (even if it has become kind of old).. But I'm looking forward to give Mixxx a fair second chance ;)

Thats why I have kept using my XP machine for DJing so long, VDJ is a brilliant piece of software and I really wish there was a Linux version. But as with all commercial releases they dont see the earning potential to warrant porting it.
Mixxx I believe is now at a point where it can be used live, I dont know if I will stick with it or slide back to using VDJ but nothing ventured nothing gained ;)

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
can u give us a pic of your dj desktop?

Just a printscreen or my whole hardware setup?

Screenprint I can get up tonight but for the whole lot setup Ill probably do that the weekend when Im in the club if you dont mind waiting ;)

slackthumbz
November 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Good luck mate, let us know how it goes :)

madjr
November 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Just a printscreen or my whole hardware setup?

Screenprint I can get up tonight but for the whole lot setup Ill probably do that the weekend when Im in the club if you dont mind waiting ;)

just a print for now !

we can wait for the rest :D

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 12:55 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=2122&pictureid=7087

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 12:58 AM
That is my custom skin to look nice an clean and have things in the place I want them, still needs a bit of work though. I will see how it is like the weekend and do some more to it after Ive live tested it ;)

Changturkey
December 1st, 2010, 01:46 AM
Good luck dude, show those OSX fanboys how it is done.

theraje
December 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hope it all goes well, E-E! Nothing worse than having your rig buy the farm at a concert themed "RAGE" full of rock/punk fans. Beware of flying rainbow-colored spikes made of hair and chemical compounds! ;)

Have a good time. These kinds of gigs are always a blast. Makes me long for the days of yore where we would give people a week to meet up at an abandoned church or gymnasium and have our own little ad-hoc concert. Then again, it is nice not having to worry about where I might happen to find myself when I wake up in the morning. :P

julio_cortez
December 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Mixxx I believe is now at a point where it can be used live, I dont know if I will stick with it or slide back to using VDJ but nothing ventured nothing gained ;)Probably in doing a house/dance/trance set with Mixxx there should be no problem (BPM are usually in the 125~140 range except from some songs I usually play that are 120), even if when you're live the unexpected is right behind the corner unfortunately.

Doing a rock/metal/punk gig is harder I guess, as BPM seem to spread a lot (judging from your screenshot) so stretching/phasing songs may be more complicated.
It heavily relies on how well Mixxx stretches the songs and how accurate is its phasing (I guess also phasing is harder to use as rock/punk songs usually don't have that 32/64/128 beat "intro" that house/dance tracks have and that can be used to phase the song correctly) but if you tried mixing in your studio and everything went fine, you should take this as a signal that Mixxx performs the way you need.

Well, I wish everything goes for the better.. Let us know!! :)

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Probably in doing a house/dance/trance set with Mixxx there should be no problem (BPM are usually in the 125~140 range except from some songs I usually play that are 120), even if when you're live the unexpected is right behind the corner unfortunately.

Doing a rock/metal/punk gig is harder I guess, as BPM seem to spread a lot (judging from your screenshot) so stretching/phasing songs may be more complicated.
It heavily relies on how well Mixxx stretches the songs and how accurate is its phasing (I guess also phasing is harder to use as rock/punk songs usually don't have that 32/64/128 beat "intro" that house/dance tracks have and that can be used to phase the song correctly) but if you tried mixing in your studio and everything went fine, you should take this as a signal that Mixxx performs the way you need.

Well, I wish everything goes for the better.. Let us know!! :)

I started out with mixing deep house and now I mess around with a lot of Electro, DnB, Dubstep etc which all tend to clump around the same tempos which when it comes to beatmatching is a lot easier than the cross-genre sets.

The trick is with the alternative music genres is to remember the audience are not expecting beatmatching or turntablism so all you need to do is keep the music flowing by using fades and segues or punch in the tracks on a big beat. I do so some beatmatching with RAGE which I tend to mix in early for more effect so in effect you have a 'mash up' which the kids love! :D

theraje
December 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
So, how did everything go last night? Inquiring minds wish to know. :)

Evil-Ernie
December 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Just got up! We didn't get home till gone 6.30am!

It started slow but later got really busy, it gave me good time to mess around a bit while there wasn't too many people there. I had a problem running Spotify and Mixxx at the same time, for some reason the soundcard locked out Spotify so it wouldn't play the track. After reassigning the sound preferences it started to work, I'm still not sure what I did but I will try it out again in the studio.

I did notice a slight glitch in the music very rarely when I uploaded a new track whilst once was playing, it only happened twice and it wasn't very noticable (a slight phasing sound for about 2 seconds) but after I increased the latency it didn't happen again.

All in all it worked well, Id still say VDJ is a lot better as a tool but I think with a bit of work Mixxx will be a suitable alternative so I am going to use it for some small low key private gigs I'm doing before Xmas before I take the decision to use it for my New Years Eve gig.

Photos are being uploaded now, they are pretty bad as I used my phone but they give a good idea of what the setup was like :)

Evil-Ernie
December 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs356.ash2/63648_133924259997042_100001384073344_198097_85120 4_n.jpg
Touch screen on top of PC base unit, control surface and keyboard.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs620.snc4/58047_133924146663720_100001384073344_198095_42591 47_n.jpg
Mixing console which had a main output and monitor outputs to separate channels

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1334.snc4/162689_133924093330392_100001384073344_198094_7860 873_n.jpg
Photo of Mixxx in action.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs614.ash2/156655_133924366663698_100001384073344_198101_6330 270_n.jpg
Some satisfied customers! :D

theraje
December 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Nicely done! Pretty awesome when you can go into something like that with a different setup, and be able to handle the glitches that invariably come about.

And w00t for satisfied customers! :D

Evil-Ernie
December 6th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Glitches were minor and were not showstoppers, be nice not to have them but hey-ho!

I remember the first time I started taking a PC to shows which raised eyebrows, we were one of the first to move away from physical formats. It came from me myself ignoring the use of CDs because I loved vinyl (still do) which meant I got left behind, after that I made sure I would embrace new technology and try and keep one step ahead.

To me using Ubuntu and Mixxx live is trying something different, when you are dealing with something creative I feel it is important to take risks and tread them new paths.

NightwishFan
December 6th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Glad it went well! Perhaps you using Mixx in such a setting you could help the project advance with your input, usage data, bug reports, and suggestions.

kaldor
December 6th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Maybe Ubuntu Studio would be a better choice for you when you next install Ubuntu (11.04)?

Good job :)

Evil-Ernie
December 6th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Mixxx has been very good, no real issues just getting my setup right so I have had nothing to report fix wise. However I am ongoing in designing the skin that I use, when I'm truly happy with it I will share it.

Ive looked at the Mixxx forums but I haven't joined as yet. TBH I'm not a big fan of internet forums (this is my most frequented one!) but in time I will have to sign up I think.

Evil-Ernie
December 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Maybe Ubuntu Studio would be a better choice for you when you next install Ubuntu (11.04)?

You know you are 100% right there, I have thought about using the Studio distro before but never quite got round to it. I think next upgrade will be the time to dip my toe into that particular pond! :D

NightwishFan
December 6th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Using a fully preemptable kernel will help big time with audio work. I am not sure if "realtime kernel" is required for most things any more.

nlsthzn
December 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Glad to hear it went well :)

julio_cortez
December 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Glad to hear everything went fine ;)

I'm still undecided whether to use Mixxx or not for the new year's eve party (provided that I'll just prepare also a couple of CDs to get me at least a couple of hours "free" from the console) but, hearing from you that VDJ is still superior in some things, I guess I'll ahve a go at Mixx to make the CDs and I'll stick with VDJ when I'll have to go "live".. I might consider the choice well, as I won't have either headphones or mixer, it'll be a plain PC with VDJ or Mixxx and 2.1 speakers (we will have a house for rent for the weekend so there will be no specific equipment apart from my external HDD with the music and a laptop provided by a friend of mine).

By the way, just in case: do you think I'll be able to run Ubuntu with Mixxx off a 4GB USB stick (provided that all the tracks I need are on an external HDD which I can use with both eSATA or USB)?

Evil-Ernie
December 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'm still undecided whether to use Mixxx or not for the new year's eve party (provided that I'll just prepare also a couple of CDs to get me at least a couple of hours "free" from the console) but, hearing from you that VDJ is still superior in some things, I guess I'll ahve a go at Mixx to make the CDs and I'll stick with VDJ when I'll have to go "live"..

I always have some CDs on me just in case so I switch to 'old school' mode if thing go belly up, no matter what you should have at least 1 CD deck working otherwise theres not much you can do!

I might consider the choice well, as I won't have either headphones or mixer, it'll be a plain PC with VDJ or Mixxx and 2.1 speakers (we will have a house for rent for the weekend so there will be no specific equipment apart from my external HDD with the music and a laptop provided by a friend of mine).

Consider getting a cheap USB soundcard, I got mine for about £10. Its for headsets so only has a lineout and mic. Sound quality isnt brilliant but ok for monitoring, Mixxx has no problem finding 2nd soundcards as long as Ubuntu finds them first ;)

By the way, just in case: do you think I'll be able to run Ubuntu with Mixxx off a 4GB USB stick (provided that all the tracks I need are on an external HDD which I can use with both eSATA or USB)?

Its worth a shot, you could whack a distro with Mixxx onto a pen drive and then try it out with little fuss before the gig.

phredbull
December 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I've installed Mint Fluxbox on an external USB drive, (along w/sound libraries and session files) because Gnome (w/or w/out compiz) ate up too much of my system resources. Fluxbox + faster HD = much more responsive system, seems to struggle less w/graphical stuff, allowing audio to flow better.
I still look to Ableton Live as the standard-bearer for live audio software!

Evil-Ernie
December 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I've installed Mint Fluxbox on an external USB drive, (along w/sound libraries and session files) because Gnome (w/or w/out compiz) ate up too much of my system resources. Fluxbox + faster HD = much more responsive system, seems to struggle less w/graphical stuff, allowing audio to flow better.

I might try this, sounds like a good plan. What size USB drive did you use?

I still look to Ableton Live as the standard-bearer for live audio software!

Never got on really with Ableton Live, some of my buddies used it and they hyped it up so when I tried it I was a bit disapointed. I'm more of a Cubase person traditionally.

Johnsie
December 7th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Not sure Linux is the way to go when it comes to working with audio/video... There's alot better competition out there on other platforms.

Evil-Ernie
December 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Not sure Linux is the way to go when it comes to working with audio/video... There's alot better competition out there on other platforms.

Its not the platform but the software I find is the key, its not the Windows platform I like for digital DJing but the VirtualDJ software, like music studios dont really like Macs more they like Protools which is on a Mac.

I think I have proved by doing a sucessful show using Mixxx on the Ubuntu OS that it is possible to use it professionally and even though I love VDJ Id have to say on the night working I wasnt thinking 'I wish I was using VDJ now', I just didn't miss using it.

Industry standard is all well and good but I feel that if you are creative you want to be unique, stand out from the crowd, not follow the masses and take risks.

Donalt2010
December 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just downloaded Mixxx 1.8.2 and apart from the default skin being a bit glitchey its working fine now by changing the skin ive got a better overall view of what i'm doing, not that i know completely what im doing. All i need now is a usb mixer and headphones.

Evil-Ernie
December 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Just downloaded Mixxx 1.8.2 and apart from the default skin being a bit glitchey its working fine now by changing the skin ive got a better overall view of what i'm doing, not that i know completely what im doing. All i need now is a usb mixer and headphones.

I use a Ion Discovery which is £99 from Maplin. It is seen as an entry level control surface but I like the big platters on it compared to Hercules systems around the same price (and a bit more) which have more like jog wheels you would find of CDJ players which I wanted to get away from.

The most useful piece of kit I have is the touchscreen, in the cramped environment of a DJ booth keyboards and mice are not easy to use and get in the way. The touchscreen makes life easier and I can even do a gig without the control surface if I wanted.

Donalt2010
December 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I use a Ion Discovery which is £99 from Maplin. It is seen as an entry level control surface but I like the big platters on it compared to Hercules systems around the same price (and a bit more) which have more like jog wheels you would find of CDJ players which I wanted to get away from.

The most useful piece of kit I have is the touchscreen, in the cramped environment of a DJ booth keyboards and mice are not easy to use and get in the way. The touchscreen makes life easier and I can even do a gig without the control surface if I wanted.

Now down to £79.99;) does it work well with Ubuntu? What would be the advantages of having one of them over a mixer? It looks kind of tacky, but then again as you say its entry level.

Evil-Ernie
December 7th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Now down to £79.99;) does it work well with Ubuntu? What would be the advantages of having one of them over a mixer? It looks kind of tacky, but then again as you say its entry level.

Well I orginally bought it for VDJ on a Windows XP system where is was fantastic, however on Mixxx I found the platters too skittish so I had to modify the mapping script to slow it down and give me a bit of control back. I remapped some of the buttons to my own preferences as well.

It doesn't have upfaders which I dont mind as I use the gains and crossfader but it could be a problem if you are used to using them.

Of course you could just get a 2 channel mixer and run off 2 soundcards which I have done before putting the outputs through my Gemmini mixer. Trouble is you have an on screen mixer anyway (dont forget I have a touch screen) so if you are on the road it just means another piece of kit to carry and wire up etc.

phredbull
December 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I might try this, sounds like a good plan. What size USB drive did you use?
I have a 500gb drive, (an NTFS partition that's accessible to WinXP, a swap part., a / part. w/Mint, a /home part., and an EXT4 part. accessible to Mint & my onboard Ubuntu).
I set this up for mainly 2 reasons; My comp doesn't have much RAM, and though I enjoy using Gnome/Compiz for daily use, it uses too much of the system for good audio processing. Mint Fluxbox is much lighter, and running it, and swap, on a faster drive makes a big difference. Plus, if and when I get a new laptop, my audio production setup will still be intact, regardless of the machine it's running on.

This may be true; I often say that Linux audio software is about 10 years behind the other 2 platforms, development-wise.
BUT...
-I like using/supporting FOSS
-I can run audio on a light-weight distro for better efficiency
-I can't afford to buy all the proprietary tools that I like, and I don't like using warez or [k]s.
-Development in Linux will progress faster than it did on other platforms, and usability will improve as it has for the desktop environment, (I hope).
And this:

Industry standard is all well and good but I feel that if you are creative you want to be unique, stand out from the crowd, not follow the masses and take risks.
I've spent years working in recording studios, and in a professional environment, you need the familiarity, functionality, and work flow provided by a program such as ProTools. But as a creative musician, I like the idea of pushing myself to do things in new and unfamiliar ways.

linuxforartists
December 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I think I have proved by doing a sucessful show using Mixxx on the Ubuntu OS that it is possible to use it professionally and even though I love VDJ Id have to say on the night working I wasnt thinking 'I wish I was using VDJ now', I just didn't miss using it.

Evil-Ernie, this has been one inspiring thread! Cool to hear you using open-source tools "in the field" like you did. The photos were great. Keep up the great work.

Evil-Ernie
December 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Cheers! :D

I think I need to go on the Mixxx forum and get more involved there. Its been inspiring that I've had some requests for advice on how to use Ubuntu for DJing so the demand and the will to change is there.

I wonder if the guys that make Mixxx would give official support to my clubs nights... hmmmm :-k

Dragonbite
December 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Cheers! :D

I think I need to go on the Mixxx forum and get more involved there. Its been inspiring that I've had some requests for advice on how to use Ubuntu for DJing so the demand and the will to change is there.

I wonder if the guys that make Mixxx would give official support to my clubs nights... hmmmm :-k

At the very least they should be interested in your experience with it "in the trenches"!

julio_cortez
December 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
On a different note, I think that the newest version of Mixxx has something wrong: I've installed Linux Mint 10 and got Mixxx via apt-get. Everything went fine but when I start it it asks me to choose my "default" music directory, then just sticks on a blank screen and I can't do anything but force reboot the PC.

By the way, I tried it also with Ubuntu 10.04.1 and it gives the very same trouble. Strange, the old version didn't do that and it works good under Windows (but not as good as VDJ unfortuantely)..

Well, it looks like I'm stuck with VDJ here.. And it solves my concern about which software to use for the new year's eve night at least :P

Evil-Ernie
December 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Hmmm, what directory is your music in and does it have full read/write privilages?

julio_cortez
December 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I've made the test with a few songs in /home/juliocortez/music (just in case, before making it access my external eSATA drive which has several GBs of house/dance/trance tracks) and it looks like it "accepts" the path, but it then switches to a completely blank screen (usually black) with me left able to do nothing but pushing the reset button on the front of the case :'(

When I get back home I'll try launching it via console to see what happens then I'll maybe open a thread in the "support" forum :)

Evil-Ernie
December 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Have you tried selecting other directories to see if there is also problem there?

When you fire up Mixxx you should get a second open window that scans the library for new songs, are you getting this far?

julio_cortez
December 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
YEAH!! I kind of managed to get it working by downloading debs for an old version (both mixxx and mixxx-data) and installing them via dpkg.
Now I have mixxx 1.6.0 which I know it's outdated but at least it's working again, and I also managed to make it recognise my tracks (which are in /media/Data/Dance).
In addition, the flickering on the upper waveform that I experienced with version 1.7 has gone ;)

Now it's only a matter of testing whether it's stable or not.. Thank you for the support :)

Evil-Ernie
December 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Sweet!! :)

I don't think you loose much in 1.6, if I remember correctly it wasn't as supportive as 1.7 for my USB control surface but if you are not using one (or using a more popular product) I think the 1.6 release is just as good.

Remember to fully test and iron out those niggly little problems before you do something live ;)

julio_cortez
December 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Sorry for being a pain but, seeing that you're using Mixxx since some time and I'm just moving now.. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

- Is there a way to "jog" the track which is actually in the headphone with the keyboard? More or less like it used to be with VDJ when pressing left arrow and right arrow..
- When a song is given incorrect "phase" (the BPM are right in number, but the phase doesn't match at all with the actual song), is there a way to manually set the phase of it? In VDJ there used to be a slider in the track properties to manually modify the phase

Thanks in advance, at the moment these are the only 2 things I need (apart from getting an USB audio card sooner or later to plug the headphones in).. :)

Evil-Ernie
December 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM
There is a keymap xtml file where you can assign keystrokes to different actions, I havent actually done this myself as I have the control surface.

The standard keyboard shortucts are listed here http://mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/manual#keyboard_shortcuts

I hope this helps.

Incidentally I have a private function Saturday (tomorrow) and Ill be using Mixxx and Ubuntu again ;)

julio_cortez
December 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I hope this helps.Yeah, thank you!!
The link you provided, lead me to THIS:
http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/midi_controller_mapping_file_format
And it was just what I was looking for: [channelN] jog is the command I would like to map (even if it looks like I'll have to define 2 sets of commands, one for each channel, it doesn't matter)..
You know, I'm really used to VDJ (which I can use also without headphones at the moment, just setting the right "phase" before starting to mix, then looking at the waveforms and then doing some jog on the track before raising the volume) and that control is kind of vital for me.. Thank you again!! :)

I hope everything goes well tomorrow, let us know ;)

Dragonbite
December 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
DJ software mixxx updates, adds Beta build (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/dj-software-mixxx-updates-adds-beta-build/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+d0od+(Omg!+Ubuntu!)&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Mixxx 1.9.0 comes with a new library format that will auto-upgrade your old one but will not be backwards compatible with Mixxx 1.8.1. So take note.

New features landing in the beta include: -

Shoutcast / Icecast support
Mixxx can now broadcast over the internet
External Mixer Support
Volume normalization via ReplayGain analysis
Revamped default skin
Improved FLAC support
Metadata writing
The time counters in Mixxx now display an extra millisecond
New MIDI mappings for, amongst others, Hercules DJ Console Mk4 and Numark MIXTRACK
Updated MIDI mappings for Hercules DJ Control MP3, Vestax VCI-100 and more

Library improvements include:

Played column indicates whether a song has been played in the current session already and also shows a played count
Ratings column
Enhanced search
Faster library scanning on large libraries
Inline Editing
Record in MP3/Ogg

Evil-Ernie
December 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I can confirm that Saturdays gig went well, no problems (except for a bit of sound interferance on the amp, nothing to do with the software or PC) so yet another success for my open source system! :D

I think I will wait until after the new year gig until I upgrade to 1.9.0 as if its not backwards compatible I want to make sure I have the time to fully test and implement it before my next gig.

Script Warlock
December 15th, 2010, 08:09 PM
i also a sound engineer use this app everytime i have shows, corporate and concerts, though i have my share of crashes nevertheless it works great for me, nah let mixx mature more in the years to come.. kudos to the mixxx dev team..

Evil-Ernie
December 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
i also a sound engineer use this app everytime i have shows, corporate and concerts, though i have my share of crashes nevertheless it works great for me, nah let mixx mature more in the years to come.. kudos to the mixxx dev team..

Have you had Mixxx crash live?!?

VittorioC
December 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I can confirm that Saturdays gig went well, no problems (except for a bit of sound interferance on the amp, nothing to do with the software or PC) so yet another success for my open source system! :D

I think I will wait until after the new year gig until I upgrade to 1.9.0 as if its not backwards compatible I want to make sure I have the time to fully test and implement it before my next gig.

Hey Evil-Ernie,

Mixxx 1.8.2 has been released to be compatible with 1.9.x series. Moreover it adresses a lot of bugfixes.
I saw your custom skin. It looks awesome! Do you have plans on releasing? I'd really like to try it.

\m/

dmizer
December 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evil-Ernie, this has been one inspiring thread! Cool to hear you using open-source tools "in the field" like you did. The photos were great. Keep up the great work.

Very much so. Thank you, and I hereby grant this thread 5 red ribbons! :)

:popcorn:

Roasted
December 17th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Glad it worked out relatively well for you. I'd be very happy to hear if you could take the time to help out the open source community and post your findings to the developers on their forum or whatever.

THAT is how things get fixed and how work gets done. Since I'm not a programmer, I do the next best thing - post everything I find (bug related) to developers to at least do my part to help in the only way I know how.

Evil-Ernie
December 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hey Evil-Ernie,

Mixxx 1.8.2 has been released to be compatible with 1.9.x series. Moreover it adresses a lot of bugfixes.
I saw your custom skin. It looks awesome! Do you have plans on releasing? I'd really like to try it.

\m/

I will check out 1.8.2 but I am not going to do any major upheaval to my system until I get NYE out they way is it is such an important gig for me to have anything go wrong on that night would be a disaster LOL. Also January is quiet gig-wise so Ill use that time to really mess around ;)

I will release the skin when I am 100% happy with it, which I am not yet (I am a perfectionist) but contact me with an email Ill be happy to send it to you to try out as is and maybe you can tell me how to improve it?

Thanks for the ribbons, I am not sure what that means but I'm chuffed to receive them! :D

VittorioC
December 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
- When a song is given incorrect "phase" (the BPM are right in number, but the phase doesn't match at all with the actual song), is there a way to manually set the phase of it? In VDJ there used to be a slider in the track properties to manually modify the phase

This sounds great!
you may want to post a wishlist bug to https://bugs.launchpad.net/mixxx
In my opinion, it should not be difficult to implement on Mixxx.

Evil-Ernie
December 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Ill be posting a few things on the wishlist ;)

I do hope to get involved more with the development of Mixxx as I think it is getting closer to being a real open source rival to VDJ.

Script Warlock
December 23rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Have you had Mixxx crash live?!?

crashes on betas yes, on stable no problemo....:p

Evil-Ernie
December 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
crashes on betas yes, on stable no problemo....:p

I only use stables live, too chicken to use betas LOL!

earthpigg
December 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
im glad it worked out! keep us posted on future shows

Script Warlock
December 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM
i use to test betas to help them improve.... coming screenshots this coming dec31 at shangrila hotel...

Evil-Ernie
December 29th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ive loaded the lastest beta on a second machine, Im gonna try and break it :D

My main 'live' machine is staying stable as I will be using that NYE, I am getting very excited now :guitar:

julio_cortez
December 29th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I've just mixed the CD for the NYE party, yesterday: it worked out well, even if I still have some minor beat mismatches when I try to phase songs together.
It happens also with VDJ (I don't use beatlock as it takes away all of the fun) but then I'm able to jog the active track with the left and right keys, thing that I don't seem to be able to do with Mixxx (even if I think I mapped the controls correctly).

I've enjoyed using Mixxx a lot, but on the other hand it looks like I'm not ready yet to take the risk of using it live at NYE. Surely I'll keep training, of course ;)

Evil-Ernie
December 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I've just mixed the CD for the NYE party, yesterday: it worked out well, even if I still have some minor beat mismatches when I try to phase songs together.

Cool, I hardly ever premix or record. For some reason I will always **** up recorded mixes or never be happy with them, I find the pressure of a live environment keeps me tight and my best mixes are always the gigs where Im on the back foot ;)

I've enjoyed using Mixxx a lot, but on the other hand it looks like I'm not ready yet to take the risk of using it live at NYE. Surely I'll keep training, of course ;)

It may not be the tool for you, I still find myself wanting VDJ on occasions. Over the Xmas period I tried the 'ITCH' system from Vestax. It uses Serrato software and as an all-in-one package it was great to use and gave professional results, my mate swears by it and struggles with VDJ now.

So whatever you use whether it be Mixxx, VDJ or another system the important thing is just to keep mixing and enjoy it :)

Evil-Ernie
January 4th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Just recovered from New Years Eve! Everything went well and even though I got stupendously drunk there was no mishaps... just ;)

julio_cortez
January 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Cool, I hardly ever premix or record.I usually just create a playlist but I make sure to set cue points and phases right (often I perform the mix "as it should be" before going live, but not recording it, just to make sure I've marked all the cue points and all the songs have correct phases).
I've made a CD for the NYE party just because I was planning to drink a bit so I thought it was wise to have something as a "backup" at least for a hour or two.. :razz:

So whatever you use whether it be Mixxx, VDJ or another system the important thing is just to keep mixing and enjoy it :)Surely I do, even if I'm just an amateur that does it for fun ;)

Evil-Ernie
January 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I usually just create a playlist but I make sure to set cue points and phases right (often I perform the mix "as it should be" before going live, but not recording it, just to make sure I've marked all the cue points and all the songs have correct phases).

Ahh I see, I used to set hotcues on VDJ for that but I havent really done that yet with Mixxx

I've made a CD for the NYE party just because I was planning to drink a bit so I thought it was wise to have something as a "backup" at least for a hour or two.. :razz:

Good plan ;)
How did the party go?

julio_cortez
January 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Ahh I see, I used to set hotcues on VDJ for that but I havent really done that yet with Mixxx
Yes they're very useful to know where to start fading in the next track and so on.. I probably would make a lot of silly mistakes without cue points being displayed :P

How did the party go?Well indeed, even if at midnight we all moved out for the fireworks (we were supposed to be something like a couple dozens of friends, but just ended up being in 10) and we came back at 2 am, with me putting on a CD and relaxing drinking my well-earned wine :lolflag:
During the time (more or less a hour and a half) I mixed "live", though, everything went well.. I've been at the console just for the minimal necessary time to phase and fade the songs, nothing more :D