PDA

View Full Version : Beer! :p

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Just wondered if theres any homebrewers out there in the Ubuntu community?
I am an all-grain ale brewer and I used Brewtarget for the first time to mash a new recipe up.

If you are interested I used 3.5kg of pale malt (Maris Otter), 500g of crystal malt, fuggles and challenger hops with some late fuggles to take the edge of the maltyness.

So far I started with a OG of 1.048, my SG after 4 days is 1.022 and I have a nice dark amber hue :D

I found brewtarget good but its a bit too clinical and I found it difficult to 'tune' it to my mainly homemade brewhouse kit. Anybody else used it?

Sean Moran
November 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Just wondered if theres any homebrewers out there in the Ubuntu community?
I am an all-grain ale brewer and I used Brewtarget for the first time to mash a new recipe up.

If you are interested I used 3.5kg of pale malt (Maris Otter), 500g of crystal malt, fuggles and challenger hops with some late fuggles to take the edge of the maltyness.

So far I started with a OG of 1.048, my SG after 4 days is 1.022 and I have a nice dark amber hue :D

I found brewtarget good but its a bit too clinical and I found it difficult to 'tune' it to my mainly homemade brewhouse kit. Anybody else used it?
I reckon it helps kill off quite a lot of the bacteria and greeblies in the water 'round here.

ukripper
November 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Only like London Pride(brewed in my area) or Guinness if LP not available.

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Only like London Pride(brewed in my area) or Guinness if LP not available.

Hmmm Guinness! Ive found a place locally that stocks bottle of Guinness Foriegn Extra (thicker with an ABV of 7.5%!) so I've been drinking a lot of that! :P

Dragonbite
November 30th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't quite call it "brewing", but I do homebrew with Mr Beer products. When my wife gave me the kit, though, she included a recipe book so other than the first batch I ever brewed, I haven't done a straight batch yet.

Right now I have an Apple Ale which is going to be very "iffy". It's in the bottles but I don't know if the yeast was alive enough, or how sitting in the keg extra long is going to effect it (I hear it makes it more bitter). Who knows, we'll see.

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I don't quite call it "brewing", but I do homebrew with Mr Beer products. When my wife gave me the kit, though, she included a recipe book so other than the first batch I ever brewed, I haven't done a straight batch yet.

Kits are brewing, things can still go very wrong! LOL
I started with kits and I still do one no and again if I have space in my brew schedule.

Right now I have an Apple Ale which is going to be very "iffy". It's in the bottles but I don't know if the yeast was alive enough, or how sitting in the keg extra long is going to effect it (I hear it makes it more bitter). Who knows, we'll see.

Have you got a hydrometer? Thats a good way of telling for sure, other than that if your brew clears generally it means primary fermentation has stopped.

You can leave the brew in the fermentaion vat for as long as you want but you run the risk of infection or off flavours developing the longer you leave it.

zer010
November 30th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I don't brew beer, but I do make a good homemade red wine. :)

Dragonbite
November 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM

I've wanted to try wine sometime.

Evil-Ernie
November 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Nice! Im going to try a fruit wine as the missus said she would like a peach wine.

Now for beer I use fermenting vats with a non-airtight lid, I take it for wine I would need to get a sealed container (ie a demijohn) and an airlock?

zer010
November 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
It's a fairly easy process. It's just basically water, juice, sugar and yeast. The one thing that must be done is venting. When yeast eats sugar it excretes equal parts alcohol and CO2. The CO2 must be vented while not letting external air get back into the container. I do this by running an airline into a bottle of water. CO2 bubbles out of the water and no air gets in.

zer010
November 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
You can find my Winemaking .pdf here: http://www.filedropper.com/winemaking
It has accompanying pictures to show my exact setup. This is the recipe for a basic red wine that many have loved.

MooseDog
December 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM
no brewing here, but ubuntu was used extensively in creating this site:

http://www.alchemistbeer.com/

gimp, nautilus, gedit, ubuntu, wordpress...a mash tun of f.o.s.s. coming out at a desirable 7.5% abv.

jfloydb
December 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
I used to homebrew (about 10 + years ago). I got the bug after reading Charlie Papazian's book "The Joy Of Homebrewing". After I got the hang of it, I used malt extracts and specialty grain malts to produce some very good Ale. In four years I brewed more than 400 gallons of beer. I even grew my own Hops and propagated (if that's the right term) my own Yeast. It was quite fun and satisfying. But it's a hobby that, once you put it down, it gets away from you. It's hard to start-up again.

I'm the type that deep-fries turkeys and makes Turduckens. I suppose that the same impulses keeps me fooling around with Linux (all-be-it easy-to-use Ubuntu). I like the challenge of something that offers a satisfying reward.

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
I find myself getting more and more into it. I just started with a basic bitter kit and a 5 gal fermenting bin. Then I moved onto extract and now I'm full grain with a lauter tun, boiler etc etc

Im starting to get more into yeast, for FG Ive kept to the dried top fermenting cultures like Gervin English Ale or Muntons Premium Gold but Im thinking of trying a bottom fermenting lager yeast at some point, also I would like to look into propagating so any advice is gratefully recieved :D

handy
December 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM
A mate (who owned a canoe hire + some, business) & I brewed about a thousand long necks (750ml) nearly 20 years ago now. The motivation was doing it for my wedding.

We were doing 2 x large plastic barrels (as used for holding peoples gear in the centre of a Canadian canoe) at a time. Each barrel produced 75 long necks per brew.

It was great fun, the wedding was of course great (would have been without the beer). I learned that brewing beer is not a good idea for some of us, as it is just too easy to drink too often if not too much when it costs so little & is always readily available.

So I haven't brewed since 1992.

Evil-Ernie
December 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
A mate (who owned a canoe hire + some, business) & I brewed about a thousand long necks (750ml) nearly 20 years ago now. The motivation was doing it for my wedding.

We were doing 2 x large plastic barrels (as used for holding peoples gear in the centre of a Canadian canoe) at a time. Each barrel produced 75 long necks per brew.

(quick head calculation) so from that I deduce the barrels were at least 10 gal each, the vats I use are only 5 gal! So you was making 20 gal a time! :O

I think you deserve a round of applause for that! :popcorn:

handy
December 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
(quick head calculation) so from that I deduce the barrels were at least 10 gal each, the vats I use are only 5 gal! So you was making 20 gal a time! :O

I think you deserve a round of applause for that! :popcorn:

I have to admit that there weren't 1,000 bottles of beer on hand for the wedding... ;)

Dragonbite
December 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM
I have to admit that there weren't 1,000 bottles of beer on hand for the wedding... ;)

No, because you kept partaking in the process ;)

handy
December 1st, 2010, 07:52 PM
No, because you kept partaking in the process ;)

Which was the best part of the whole process.

When we started manufacturing the stuff, the first few weeks were completely dry... It was good to get past that. :)

Evil-Ernie
December 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
When we started manufacturing the stuff, the first few weeks were completely dry... It was good to get past that. :)

Oh the horror of sobriety!! LOL