PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Connecting to the wireless

teaicky
November 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I just downloaded Ubuntu on my HPmini, so I'm really new to it... I got a problem connecting to the wireless. I have searched bunch of guides and materials online, but still haven't solved the problem.

I found this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349254 in the forum, but I couldn't open the .iso link he provided (it has been removed...). Also, I couldn't install apt-get install wicd since I'm not connected to the internet. I just didn't figure out a way how to connect the wireless.

Anyway, here is what I got when I clicked on the network connection.

Wired Network
disconnected
VPN Connections >

Also, here is what I got entering the code "iwconfig"

lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.

Thanks a lot...!

mr_luksom
November 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Does ubuntu recognize your wireless card?

lshw -c network

teaicky
December 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
But I am not using a wireless card...
Anyway here is what I got.

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 60:eb:69:6e:4a:a6
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI latency=0 multicast=yes
resources: irq:42 ioport:5000(size=256) memory:50010000-50010fff memory:50000000-5000ffff memory:50020000-5002ffff
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:56000000-56003fff

teaicky
December 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Sorry I mean, I think my wireless card has not been set up... The above is what I got.

andymorton
December 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Have you installed any wireless drivers. Depending on your connection you won't be able to connect without them. If not go to Administration > Additional Drivers and install the B43 one.

andy

anewguy
December 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
The easiest way to get your wireless working (BCM4313) is:

- temporarily hardwire a connection to your router
- in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get update

- go to System/Administration/Additional Drivers - if there is a driver there for your wireless, enable it and wait a few minutes as it may need to download something via the hardwire connection

- physically disconnect the hardwire cable

- right-click network manager - be sure "Enable Wireless" shows and is enabled

- left-click network manager - do wireless networks show now?

Things to remember:

- there are other ways of getting this working if you cannot temporarily hardware a connection

- if this is the first time this adapter has been used to connect to your router, and if your router has MAC filtering enabled, you need to add the MAC of the adapter to the router table

Dave ;)

teaicky
December 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I don't find anything in the Additional Drivers now. I will try to connect to a cable tonight.

Thanks a lot everyone!!

:)

Trandre
December 1st, 2010, 10:25 PM
I just solved a simular problem just now by.

1.system--> administration --> users and groups --> Advanced settings --> user priveliges --> enable contect to wifi and ethernet

2. turn off the wifi hardware switch(this was a laptop) restart your computer --> turn on wifi hardware switch and presto I was on.

teaicky
December 1st, 2010, 10:36 PM
I just solved a simular problem just now by.

1.system--> administration --> users and groups --> Advanced settings --> user priveliges --> enable contect to wifi and ethernet

2. turn off the wifi hardware switch(this was a laptop) restart your computer --> turn on wifi hardware switch and presto I was on.

I just tried but it didn't work... I think I miss a wireless driver. I will try connecting to a cable tonight. Thanks a lot!

:)

teaicky
December 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
The easiest way to get your wireless working (BCM4313) is:

- temporarily hardwire a connection to your router
- in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get update

- go to System/Administration/Additional Drivers - if there is a driver there for your wireless, enable it and wait a few minutes as it may need to download something via the hardwire connection

- physically disconnect the hardwire cable

- right-click network manager - be sure "Enable Wireless" shows and is enabled

- left-click network manager - do wireless networks show now?

Things to remember:

- there are other ways of getting this working if you cannot temporarily hardware a connection

- if this is the first time this adapter has been used to connect to your router, and if your router has MAC filtering enabled, you need to add the MAC of the adapter to the router table

Dave ;)

This works perfect. I got connected to the wireless now!!

Thanks a lot for your help! :p

anewguy
December 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Glad it's working for you!

Do us a favor and using "Thread Tools" on this thread, mark the thread as "Solved" so that others with a similar problem can look here and see if it helps them or not.

Dave ;)