PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] cannot get panel applets to install on gnome panel

yonnie
November 30th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I just installed ununtu 10.10 for netbooks on my netbook and cannot get some applets to install. Right-clicking on gnome top panel brings up nothing. Am wondering if gnome panel is even there? There's a bar and several applets off to the righthand area, but nothing in the middle of the bar. The familiar menu pull-downs's are missing too! As well as the bottom panel.

Also, right-clicking in desktop area brings up nothing either and the whole left-hand side of screen has odd-looking buttons.

If I wanted my netbook to remind me of a useless cell-phone I would have bought a cell-phone. I need the netbook to work and not have to fiddle with a bunch of dumb buttons.

How do I get rid of this and get the familiar Gnome stuff back without trashing the whole install?

kerry_s
November 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
that's because it's not gnome-panel or gnome desktop, 10.10 netbook uses unity created from mutter.

if you want those things log out & select the desktop version in the session menu.

yonnie
November 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Cannot find any such choice in the session menu. Can you please describe how to find this? And how to make it permanent? If this display mode is what they call Unity, it sux.

kerry_s
November 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
at the log in screen select your name, then look on the bottom, you will see a box named session.

once you select it, it will be default so no need to worry.

consider this first unity a test, the next version is going to be made with compiz & will be the default desktop, ubuntu is moving away from gnome desktop in the future.

yonnie
November 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I'm not getting any such box named 'session' appearing. Just 'Suspend', Restart, and 'Shutdown'.

Oh there it is! It didn't appear until after I started to log back on. Tricky.

Thanks, ever so much!

I can see how Unity would be easier than a mouse/scratchpad only if I had a touch-screen. Which I don't. And they need to preserve the gnome panels which make 'nix' so usefull over m$. This Unity for a desktop stinks IMHOP. Good only for really small displays such as mini-netbooks and cell-phones