PDA

View Full Version : Problems and questions about installation.

synthetics
November 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Hello! I'm rather new to Ubuntu ( and Linux in general ). Today I got my disc for the install of Ubuntu 10.04. As soon as I got home I attempted to download it, however I recieved an error message. It read :

No network interfaces were found. The installation system was unable to find a network device.
You may need to load a specific module for your network card, if you have one. For this, go back to the network hardware detection step.
I was really confused. I went back and repeated the steps a few times but it never recognized my network card. ( Which I must admit, I don't really know what that is but I'm certain I have one nonetheless. )

Anyways at this point I decided to continue with the download, hoping that once I got the whole thing download I would be able to either figure out what the problem was and fix it. However the next step with the partitioning confused me as well. What I want to do is make my computer completely run on only Ubuntu. I'm using Ubuntu with wubi right now and I love it. Is there a partitioning option to do this: completely erase the windows part of my computer and completely run on Ubuntu? My computer didn't come with a reformatting disc so at this point I can't exactly do that. If necessary I will get one, but if it's just as simple as choosing a partitioning option then I'd much rather do that.

Anyways I know this is really long and I might not be making much sense, but anyone willing to help me out would be great. When I got to the partitioning options I aborted the download until I can figure stuff out. As much as I would love to have Ubuntu right this moment I'm not willing to download it if it will mess up my computer. Especially since I have next to no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks everyone in advance!

synthetics
November 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Bump.
:C

synthetics
December 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
Is there anyone who could help me out?

slicepotato
December 11th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I have the same problem and I've spent 2 days on trolling walkthrough after help document, after support article, after nothing fixes this. I was trying to install Server 10.10 64-bit on a Dell Dimension 9200 and everything is awesome until it gets to the network hardware discovery section of the installation. Just as soon as it starts the NIC goes from green to orange, the link LED on the router goes out and that's it. Curtains. No clue why it just fails. Once I hard boot, the light on the router pops up again.

I can, however do a fresh install of windows 7 Pro 64-bit, XP Pro 32-bit, XP Pro 64-bit and windows 2000 with absolutely no problems. Havent tried Desktop 10.10 or any of the 32bit versions of Ubuntu, but that shouldn't matter especially if I can get 4 other (different) operating systems installed with 0 issues.

So what gives? Should I try another version of ubuntu? Do I have a broke box with a crappy onboard Intel 82566DC Gigabit card? Why won't it just work?