PDA

View Full Version : Firefox faster than Chrome ?

leclerc65
November 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I test my Desktop with this:

http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/

Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 clocks in at 50+ FPS while Chromium 9 get 14. Does that mean that Firefox is much faster ? The card is NVidia 9400GT GeForce. Moreover how do you know that hardware acceleration works ?

Mmmbopdowedop
November 30th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I don't really care which is fastest, the milliseconds are not noticable.

Firefox integrates nicely, has a nice UI, add-ons and whatever else I need.

If it doesn't work for you don't use it.

Chrome's UI is terrible imo.

I know i'm gonna stick to FireFox forever whatever the competetition.

Opera is ugly as hell.

NightwishFan
November 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Perhaps Chrome does not have a compatible render accel in your build. That does not make it slower, and in my opinion is no reason to stop using it.

holiday
November 30th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I find Firefox loads very slowly and tends to feed on the CPU more than Chromium, but I know people who say the exact opposite. Perhaps it depends on the system - and of course the bottleneck for browsers is always going to be the network. No matter how lightening fast the browser displays, it has to wait for the network.

Both browsers have annoyances, but both are capable and reliable browsers. I will sometimes use Firefox for some sites, but Chromium is my default.

It's good that we have the choice and that they are both free and install easily to Ubuntu.

Lucradia
November 30th, 2010, 02:38 AM

Opera is ugly as hell.

+1 to that.

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2010, 03:27 AM

I couldn't disagree more.

geo909
November 30th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Oh, come on guys! What's next vi vs emacs?!

aysiu
November 30th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I don't really care which is fastest, the milliseconds are not noticable. Amen. If you need a computer program to measure speed differences, the differences shouldn't matter any more.

jerenept
November 30th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I test my Desktop with this:

http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/

Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 clocks in at 50+ FPS while Chromium 9 get 14. Does that mean that Firefox is much faster ? The card is NVidia 9400GT GeForce. Moreover how do you know that hardware acceleration works ?

You are aware that that benchmark is developed by Mozilla Labs, right? If you want a true test of browser speed, you need to use at least 3 benchmarks; 3 good ones are: V8 by Google (http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v6/run.html), SunSpider by WebKit (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html), and that same one you are using now.

Dustin2128
November 30th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Oh, come on guys! What's next vi vs emacs?!
Emacs for life! ;)

jerenept
November 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Emacs for life! ;)

YAAAAAAAWN you ppl need some GUI in your lives (and a 300MB text editor isn't my idea of a good time)

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2010, 05:17 AM
YAAAAAAAWN you ppl need some GUI in your lives (and a 300MB text editor isn't my idea of a good time)

But you can play tetris in emacs!

jerenept
November 30th, 2010, 05:31 AM
But you can play tetris in emacs!

I am curious, what else can emacs do? Send and receive email?

RiceMonster
November 30th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I am curious, what else can emacs do? Send and receive email?

It can do anything but edit text.

jerenept
November 30th, 2010, 05:41 AM
It can do anything but edit text.

Oh good....

leclerc65
November 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
You are aware that that benchmark is developed by Mozilla Labs, right? If you want a true test of browser speed, you need to use at least 3 benchmarks; 3 good ones are: V8 by Google (http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v6/run.html), SunSpider by WebKit (http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html), and that same one you are using now.
That's my feeling when I saw the word "Mozilla" in the link too, but the 4.0 beta 7 is indeed more snappy than the old 3.6.
By the way, in the latter 2 tests, Chrome beat Firefox.

tgalati4
November 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The big difference is when firefox crashes, it takes down all of your tabs immediately. When chome crashes, only the offending page or plug-in gets shut down. Speed is irrelevant if your tabs are gone.

aysiu
November 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
When chome crashes, only the offending page or plug-in gets shut down. That sounds great in theory, but I've had the flash plugin fail on Chrome across tabs several times in multiple operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Speed is irrelevant if your tabs are gone. Actually, speed is just irrelevant if you need benchmarking software to measure the differences. If I can't tell the difference with my human eyes, I don't care about the difference.

zer010
November 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I used to use SRWare's Iron but I always had problems with Flash crashing. That's one reason I stick with FF. The FF4b7 is pretty snappy though. I've only seen a few bugs in it so far.

andymorton
November 30th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Opera is ugly as hell.

If you find the right skin then I think Opera can look great. Although I wish the transparent skins would work in Linux like they do with Windows.
Firefox 3.6 is noticeably slower than Chrome in my experience but I can't tell the difference with version 4 beta 7.

I'mGeorge
November 30th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Firefox faster than Chrome ?, maybe in Firefox's dreams. Chrome/Chromium are not just faster but way more faster.

NightwishFan
November 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Speed is relative.

aysiu
November 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Chrome/Chromium are not just faster but way more faster. I don't know what "way more faster" means, but Firefox is fast enough for me. At a certain point, "faster" becomes meaningless. It's like people bragging about the iTunes App Store have 300,000 apps as opposed to Android Market's measly 100,000 apps. I have about 10 apps installed on my phone. I don't really care past 50,000, let alone 100,000.

Firefox loads pages for me nigh-instantaneously (at least as far as my limited human eyes and reflexes can tell), so if Chrome's "way more faster" loading is faster, that doesn't really make my browsing experience any better. Sorry.

I'mGeorge
November 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Firefox loads pages for me nigh-instantaneously (at least as far as my limited human eyes and reflexes can tell), so if Chrome's "way more faster" loading is faster, that doesn't really make my browsing experience any better. Sorry.

Well I use both and I believe you can really see the difference when it comes to surfing on the internet speeds. I could actually say that chromium it's the instantaneous one comparing it to firefox just because I use both at a daily basis. But yeah I have to agree Firefox has it's good parts too but speedy internet surfing it's just not one of them if we bring chrome/chromium into discussion either.

czr114
November 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I use Firefox exclusively (with ABP and NS), and its virtually instantaneous when the network is cooperative.

The only noticeable lag comes in when a website makes use of the demon spawn Flash, and even then, it's not a problem on good graphics hardware.

spupy
December 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Chromium 9 - 193 FPS
Firefox 4.0b7 - 80 FPS
Konqueror (WebKit) - 33 FPS
Konqueror (KHTML) - 23 FPS

With no HW accel:
Firefox - 2 FPS, whole system becomes slow
Chromium - 23 FPS, system keeps running ok.

What now?

EDIT: Nvidia 8600GTS, ArchLinux, KDE

EDIT: To check hwaccel in Chromium, goto "about:flags" and enable "GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D".
In firefox, Menu->Edit->Preferences->Advanced->1st Tab-> Check "Use HW accel when available".