PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper UK PAYG mobile

fidelandche
November 30th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Hi all,

Not been about for a while, but I thought I would pop in to promote a UK based PAYG mobile company that is a lot cheaper than the rest. What you get is 4p p/m calls and 2p per txt. If you top up £10 once every three months and you have someone else on the same network your calls, txts and video calls are free, with no cap on usage. They also do these things called goodybags, which is a mix of minutes, texts and free internet if you buy the £10 bag. When I say free internet, I mean free internet there is no cap on usage. It runs on the O2 network and the sim cards will work in any O2 phone they do not have to be unlocked, other phones like the Iphone needs a bit of playing with to get the correct settings same as a blackberry, but most smartphones work. Also the network is only run by about 14 people so like Unbuntu they use a internet community to help sort out problems. if you take part in the community you can earn cash to put credit on your phone, have for yourself or give to charity, but the choice is yours ( I have only been on the network for a month and I will be getting £15 in December!!!) Also if you get sim off one of the members when you activate the sim and top up £10 you will get £5 free credit. In case anyone is interested the company is called GiffGaff

http://giffgaff.com/

t0p
November 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Well, this giffgaff sounds pretty good - almost too good to be true. I mean, that "unlimited" data allowance... if it means I can tether my computer to my cellphone and browse/upload/download to my heart's content without any penalty clause kicking in... it that's true, it's great. If it's true.

I haven't checked out giffgaff.com (http://giffgaff.com) yet; but believe me, I will be going through it with a fine comb and my bulldust detector set to Kill.

fidelandche: You don't by any chance work for giffgaff do you?

fidelandche
November 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM
fidelandche: You don't by any chance work for giffgaff do you?

Nope, don't work for GiffGaff.

It is unlimited data as long as you buy a £10 goodybag or a greater priced one. But tethering is against their T&C's

t0p
November 30th, 2010, 03:37 AM
But tethering is against their T&C's

Ooh, I better not do it then! LOL!

On a perhaps more serious note: my (so far only cursory) look at their site didn't spot any mention of 3G or HSDPA connectivity. Do GiffGaff provide meaningful fast connectivity? Or are they GSM dinosaurs? Cos no way am I gonna switch providers to one who doesn't give at least an almost nationwide 3G network.

EDIT: Rather disconcertingly, a Google search for

3G HSDPA site:giffgaff.comseems to turn up a lot of complaints that 3G/HSDPA connectivity is bad. Since a lot of their marketing seems to be aimed at smartphone users, this high-speed connectivity deficiency isnot a good thing. And that's not even mentioning those diabolical villains who will tether their phones to their laptops expecting decent mobile broadband speeds.

fidelandche
November 30th, 2010, 05:56 AM
GiffGaff use the O2 network and masts, so as long as the coverage from O2 is good there should not be any reason why 3G speed is slow.

There have been some complaints about speed, but most of these appear to be resolved with a simple reset of the phone or manually inputing the settings on the phone. A lot of the users on there have a Iphone4 and once the settings have been put into the phone all appears to go well. I only have a phone with GSM and the speed is not that slow (I have seen windo$e boxes run slower!!) I also use Opera mini 5 as my browser.

jshepherd
November 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Dunno about that but here in the UK you'll struggle to get better value than Tesco mobile. If you top up by £15 they;ll triple it to £45! Tesco also use o2 network. I've strictly been a contract phone man for many years but once my current contract expires I'm off to Tesco.

rich52x
November 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM
The O2 simplicty PAYG is pretty damn good if you ask me, just £5 a month for unlimited texts (gasp!) or £10 for Unlimited texts and minutes, there are more options as well.

http://freesim.o2.co.uk/MIyqQEeN?cm_mmc_o=TBBTkwAL*lbF+BEkY*5zYT+lbF5kbgbf Y+C+5Ayw*5zYT+lbF5kbgbfY+C+5Ayw+C+w0zgf+TwEwybgljl bF5kbgbfY+5zYTjw0zgf

fidelandche
December 1st, 2010, 01:11 PM
OK, I understand what you are saying but with GiffGaff unlimited means that, unlike Tesco/O2 etc, they all have a cap you just have to read their T&C's. If you have a smart phone again they have a cap on the amount of data used, but again with GiffGaff if you buy a £10 goodybag you have unlimited data with no cap.

Johnsie
December 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM
The Internet on that company is actually VERY limited. The small-print will catch you out.

Personally I have a 30 day contract with Three. I pay them £15 every month and have never gone over my allowance. I'm a programmer at work and use a smartphone, email and web-based services alot. I can cancel out of that contract at any time. I didnt want to tie myself down for 12/24 months. I would hate having to top-up PAYG. With the 30 day contract I get a bill and pay by direct debit so I never need to top up.

fidelandche
December 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Ok, the internet with GiffGaff is unlimited as long as you buy at least a £10 goodybag each month. There is no cap on the amount of data used. Yes not having the option of DD is annoying but you can buy one goodybag and then queue another to start as soon as the first one runs out.

fidelandche
December 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
The Internet on that company is actually VERY limited. The small-print will catch you out

Where do you get information from?? Part of this company's promise is unlimited internet.