PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10 clean install freezes...

Keeby Swaggz
November 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
seems I'm not the only one... so, quick background... my specs are in my sig...

had Vista 32, clean-installed 7 64... had to revert temporarily... then again clean-installed 7 64, failed... over and over again, no matter what... so **** Windows...

now, Ubuntu... started with 10.04 LTS, checksums matched, good disc burned slow... every attempt to install would freeze at various different points, no rhyme or reason... tried everything I could think of... googled the **** out of it... no fix...

so, why not try latest stable... got 10.10, checksums matched, good disc burned slow... also did USB... to simplify, disconnected one hard drive... booted, selected Try Without Installing... checked drive, good... tested memory, good... wiped drive to remove Windows NTFS... manually partitioned 1gb boot, 80gb root, 12gb swap, and the rest /home... file system EXT4...

begin install, all goes smooth... first three partitions are a breeze... then about 1/3 of the way into CREATING FILE SYSTEM EXT4 ON /home the install freezes... regardless of what I've tried, it freezes in the same spot every time...

I'm not sure what to do... I've tried everything I've read in many various online posts... I'm not an open-source kinda person, but I'm fairly savvy and have learned by working my way through many situations... I'm a noob to the ubuntu system, controls, language...

all help is greatly appreciated... please try to explain in "layman's" terms for me, and be patient if I need a little hand holding... I'm doin' my best to help myself, but I'm at my wit's end...

thanks...

AbeJarano
November 30th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I'm not so Ooboontoo savvy either ;) Try simplifying. Set the BIOS to defaults. Use only one drive. Try the text install if available. Use EXT3 system. Partition only one volume and the swap area or let the system set up the drive. Hope this helps.

Keeby Swaggz
December 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
thanks for the input... I tried your suggestions, with the same results... I then tried yet a few more ideas, without success...

finally, I kinda started over from scratch... on the install, I let Ubuntu use the entire hard drive and partition it itself... this time, it seemed to get most of the way through before an error message popped up "ubiquity-dm stopped unexpectedly"... the install did not complete, but the system didn't freeze either... in my opinion, it's a bit of a plus lol... before, all my install attempts resulted in freezes and I had to restart... this time the install just stopped and returned me to the liveCD desktop...

so... anyone else that can offer further guidance??? I think I will try one more time, like this last attempt, only I will select advanced install options and try to tell Ubuntu where to put GRUB...

but I'd surely appreciate more input... thanks...

cyberphrog
December 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM
You may also want to check your HD for faults. I had a similar issue a few months back and turned out to be a bad HD.

Keeby Swaggz
December 14th, 2010, 04:15 AM
thanks again for the help... I checked my hardware, RAM tests fine and both hard drives tested fine... the 250gb shows "a few bad sectors" but otherwise passed...

anyway, I was finally able to get 10.04 installed... I had to use Parted Magic to pre-partition the hard drive... previous installs always froze during the built-is gparted function... the Parted Magic route took a full 12 hours, but it got me installed...

HOWEVER, now the hard part lol... workin' out the bugs... a subject for another thread lol...

thanks again... please close this...