PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to copy profiles to multiple hard disks.

mraio
November 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Greetings!

First and foremost, I really appreciate this newer release of Ubuntu 10.10.

My boss wanted to use SLAX, but I had great experience with 8.10 and I have installed 10.10 on laptops and netbooks.

Okay, on with the challenge for the day:

I have configured a user's profile on 10.10 to startup Firefox in kiosk to go to our secure portal.

The problem is...I don't particularly care to REDO configure a user's profile session over and over.

So, if any of you whiz kids out there can come up with a better way to copy a user's profile...particularly the files that are used for Mozilla Firefox so that I can just copy and paste the files onto another hard drive with a fresh 10.10 that would be great.

The ONLY issue I have working with Linux is that I can not rapidly deploy my settings I have set for 'user' as I can with Windows. I am sure if there was a way to do this, deployment of Ubuntu 10.10 would go MUCH faster.

As it stands, if I am able to pull this off...there will be a potential of removing Windows desktops. Which is fine for me because I can manage desktops a little easier on this platform than Windows.

This is what I have installed in Ubuntu:

IcedTea (for Java plugin for Firefox)
Profile Editor
R-Kiosk

All those work great with Firefox, but getting those installed on a new system is a bit daunting...especially when some users suggest doing cloning when in reality...I plan to do the install via LiveCD and THEN hopefully create the user on the fly in Terminal and copy the user files needed off a flash drive into the home/user folder.

Once again, anything you can offer to make this process easier is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

psrdotcom
September 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM
You can write a script to copy the profiles. Instead of doing it manually.

Get the settings file from the user profile directory.