PDA

View Full Version : I'm back, and I have my own ISP again!

kevpan815
November 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I just wanted to let every one know that I am back running Ubuntu again, I finally have my own ISP again, and that I am looking forward to installing 11.04 Alpha 1 when it comes out. Hopefully my ISP will not cancel my access this time 4 over usage (my parents don't let me use Linux on their Comcast ISP, and U.S. Cellular cancelled my Account for over usage last time! This time I am with Verizon Wireless)!

nowin4me
November 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Hey! Welcome back, just came back myself.

akand074
November 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM
They can cancel your service for over usage? Are you kidding. I've never heard of such a thing here in Canada.. usually they just have hefty over usage charges that max out at around 30$. Perhaps I just never talked to anyone who may have abused it.

sandyd
November 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
They can cancel your service for over usage? Are you kidding. I've never heard of such a thing here in Canada.. usually they just have hefty over usage charges that max out at around 30$. Perhaps I just never talked to anyone who may have abused it.

I have.
I forgot to turn off my cell once while overseas in europe.
5 GB of 3G data later, Rogers suspended my account......
and restored it after I explained what had hapenned....

CharlesA
November 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Yes. It's listed under "fair use" if you go over the limit often enough, they'll disconnect you.

lisati
November 30th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Welcome back!

Dustin2128
November 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I'm getting a T1 line... in my home!

Quadunit404
November 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Welcome back person I probably haven't met yet ;)

I just came back myself a few hours ago due to me resolving some Internet issues related to my own ISP that began around 8:30PM Eastern time yesterday (it seems to be some sort of tradition for something to happen the first day we return from a vacation.) Comcast began recommending to their customers via automated messaging on their support hotline that they do a power reset of their modems (which means unplugging it and removing the battery if any, along with unplugging the router if any, then powering both back up) and since I did not feel like waiting for a support representative to be available as literally ALL of them are busy with worried customers, I went ahead and did the power reset of the modem and the Internet came back. I'm not sure if EVERYONE else in my area did that yet, but at least we're both back ;)

MisterGaribaldi
November 30th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Hmm... Well, I don't have a cap on my account, so that isn't really a problem. And why should they care *what* OS you're running?

Spice Weasel
November 30th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I torrent at least 30GB a month and I've never had any trouble. :o

Wait... your parents won't let you use a different operating system on a certain ISP? Sounds ridiculous.

iponeverything
November 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM

reliable but slow and expensive by broadband standards.

Spice Weasel
November 30th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Always at my PC, double-clickin' on my mizouse
Upgrade my system at least twice a day
I'm strictly plug-and-play, I ain't afraid of Y2K
I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him Money for short
I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support
It's all about the Pentiums, what?
You gotta be the dumbest newbie I've ever seen
You've got white-out all over your screen
You think your Commodore 64 is really neato
What kinda chip you got in there, a Dorito?
You're usin' a 286? Don't make me laugh
Your Windows boots up in what, a day and a half?
You could back up your whole hard drive on a floppy diskette
You're the biggest joke on the Internet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX-T8P7cRUc)