PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 10.10 server Problem

DeWayne24
November 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
This is where I stand at this time. I have used the MD5SUM on the Ubuntu files for 10.10 server both the I386 and the AMD64, and the Desktop I386. All three passed as being non compromised files. I then burned the files on CD's using infrarecorder as the web site shows.

Machine 1:
Asus M2N68-AM Mother board and Athlon processor
Western Digital 1tb hard drive
1 gb memory
64 bit

Machine 2:
ECS K7S5A Motherboard and Athlon Processor
2 - Western Digital 40gb Hard drives
PCI VGA Video card
1 gb memory
32 bit

Both of these machines are going to be used as servers.

Machine 1 and 2 can install and run Ubuntu 9.04 in command line on both. Problem on machine 1 I can update 9.04. On machine 2 when I update I get a number of errors and it will not install gdm.

Machine 1 can load Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit server, but after reboot shows nothing on the screen but blinking cursor. I can use a Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop 32 bit as a live CD and it works.

Machine 2 when trying to install either the desktop or the server I the get error:
Graphics initialization failed
Error setting up gfxboot

I am question if the fact that the motherboard does not have a built in video card if that is a problem with this machine. I can not get to any screen on either of these CD's to do the Ubuntu "checks"

Since the server version does not load or work correctly on either machine I am asking if there is a problem with the server package as distributed. Since the desktop works on Machine 1 it makes me think even more that there is a problem with the server packages. I have used all the tools that are available through Ubuntu to the best of my ability. With what I see I am thinking that there is a problem with the image used for the server. I would stay with 9.04, but there is not way to update this package.

I would really like to know what I am a missing here to make this work.

mörgæs
November 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Do the machines work when installing 10.04?