PDA

View Full Version : My hatred for intel wanes: Intel Core

zachtib
April 20th, 2006, 11:02 PM
with the introduction of intel's new core duo processor, and the supposed 'Conroe' chip coming out later this year, I may actually use Intel again on my next pc build, which I was planning on using a new AM2 processor on.

I've looked all over the internet, and only found one desktop motherboard for the Core cpu (besides asus's micro board) and that is an AOpen. unfortunately, it uses an intel chipset, and i really want to get a board with an nForce.

so, im both asking for people's opinions on the new Core cpus, and also asking you to keep your eyes out for core motherboards. hopefully, asus will release an nForce5 CoreDuo capable board soon, but well just have to wait and see.

also, what are your opinions of AM2?

Mathias-K
April 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Indeed, according to Anandtech the upcoming Conroe will be miles ahead of anything K8. A whopping 40% in gaming. Have you read the AM2 tests? I have seen gains in performance of more than a few percent.

In my logic (as a hardware reviewer and frequent reader of various hardware buzz) Conroe seems to be it in 2006. I would not be so keen about combining Intel CPUs with nVIDIA chipsets. The stability under pressure from the nForce4 IE was poor compared to that of Intels own 955X chipset.

I think the hottest combo will be a lowly clocked dual core Conroe, a half-cheap board and 2GB value RAM.

Of course, were in a Linux forum. Here, just being nVIDIA is a good thing :)

zachtib
April 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
yeah, well i want a board that can support SLi
i know nothing about intel desktops, as ive spent the last year-ish researching AMD, so i don't know whats good and what's not.