PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 10.10 freezing at start up after installing updates

lxlflylxl
November 29th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hi, i have been running Ubuntu 10.10 for about a month or so now without any major problems and last night the update manager popped up like it does with some upgrades i needed to install. So i installed them and clicked restart to install updates. When i restarted and logged in, i clicked firefox, the loading bubble popped up and then froze (note: freezes when using transmission, empathy, and various other apps not just firefox) . I kept restarting and never made it past 5 minutes without it freezing up. So i booted into windows removed everything linux, reinstalled it, and everything worked like normal. Then did the updates again and same exact thing after restarting.

Is anyone else having this problem and/or know how to fix it?

also safe mode seems to work without freezing up.

Thanks,

Fly

nedkelly1
December 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
I have same problem in both netbook and desktop versions of 10.10, after installing updates this morning. It appears to be when a pop-up appears when the cursor hovers over something e.g. text in OpenOffice WP, images / text on web pages (Midori and Firefox).

lxlflylxl
December 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM
yeah i used the computer janitor tool and it made it a little better i think, but it still is freezing up every time i want to copy a big file to a flash drive or extracting something then the files get all corrupted lol.

im pretty sure there have to be other people with more knowledge who have had this same issue

JaJaBinks
December 28th, 2010, 03:47 AM
cant help you with a fix, but same problem. installed 10.10 on HP Pavilion Elite HPE-377a. worked ok until i installed the updates. Now i only get as far as the desktop and cant do anything, not even reboot. have to power off. I can get access to terminal by starting in recovery mode, but no idea where to start looking for the problem.

adduds
February 19th, 2011, 05:58 AM
same problem? fix ever found??

JaJaBinks
February 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I dont know if a fix has been found, but it appears that the problem only occurs following a re-start, but does not occur following a cold boot. I have simply worked around it by always shutting down and doing cold boot.

Hope that helps