PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help finding printer on WAN

nosehat
November 29th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I have a network printer that plugs directly into my home wireless router. I'd like my Ubuntu desktop and notebook computers to be able to print to it.

On my wireless network at work, I've set this up for the notebook by putting the local URL of the printer in the Printer Properties, Settings, Device URl: "Socket://xx.xx.xx.xx" and it works just fine. It works because the printer on my work's wireless network is always at the same local URL.

At home however, depending on how many devices are connected to it, my router is prone to assigning different URLs to the different devices. Sometimes the printer is at 192.168.0.101, and sometimes it's at 192.168.0.103, for example.

Is there a way to set up (install) the printer on my Ubuntu machines, such that the OS finds the printer on my local WAN, even if the URL shifts? Also, is there a good tutorial online somewhere covering Ubuntu printer installation in depth?

Thanks in advance!

bananas4370
November 29th, 2010, 04:37 AM
At home however, depending on how many devices are connected to it, my router is prone to assigning different URLs to the different devices. Sometimes the printer is at 192.168.0.101, and sometimes it's at 192.168.0.103, for example.

Is there a way to set up (install) the printer on my Ubuntu machines, such that the OS finds the printer on my local WAN, even if the URL shifts? Also, is there a good tutorial online somewhere covering Ubuntu printer installation in depth?

Thanks in advance!

Can't you assign an IP address in the printer? I have a Kyocera FS-1300D and a HP 4050n is set up this way, and I put the local URL of the printer in the Printer Properties, Settings, Device URl: Socket://xx.xx.xx.xx:9100

Cheers
Patrick

nosehat
November 29th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Can't you assign an IP address in the printer?

Is this typically done in the printer itself, or on the router? I've poked around the interface that my router's firmware provides, but I didn't see anything that suggested this was possible.

The printer itself just has a single button on it. Perhaps the official driver would let me do this, or some other windows software that came with the printer?

My printer is a Brother HL-2070N, and my router is a Linksys WRT54GL, if that helps.

bananas4370
November 29th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Is this typically done in the printer itself, or on the router? I've poked around the interface that my router's firmware provides, but I didn't see anything that suggested this was possible.

The printer itself just has a single button on it. Perhaps the official driver would let me do this, or some other windows software that came with the printer?

My printer is a Brother HL-2070N, and my router is a Linksys WRT54GL, if that helps.

It's usually done via a web page or on the controls of the printer. I found this, so hopefully it will help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=68403

Cheers
Patrick

nosehat
November 29th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks again. From the thread you linked, it looks like locking the printer to a specific IP address is done in the router, not the printer:

Go to your Router's admin web page ... What you are looking for is the DHCP address of the printer. Reserve that address for that printer. This keeps the printer from moving around if that DHCP address is reassigned while the printer is turned off. Remember this IP.

Unfortunately, I didn't see an obvious way to do this with the web interface generated by my router's firmware.

I'll keep looking for this option, but I guess my original question still stands:

Is there any way for Ubuntu to automatically find this network printer if the IP moves around from time to time on my WAN?

bananas4370
November 29th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks again. From the thread you linked, it looks like locking the printer to a specific IP address is done in the router, not the printer:

Unfortunately, I didn't see an obvious way to do this with the web interface generated by my router's firmware.

I'll keep looking for this option, but I guess my original question still stands:

Is there any way for Ubuntu to automatically find this network printer if the IP moves around from time to time on my WAN?

Sorry I can't be of any more help. You might want to check the Brother web site and see if they have any suggestions concerning IP addressing. The Kyocera we have here had to be setup under windows initially. They have a utility that scans the network to find the printer (I believe this is done by MAC address), and then allows you to assign an IP address. After that you can access the printers web page. Maybe Brother have a similar utility.

Cheers
Patrick

cjv8888
November 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I think what you can do is to set the router to have automatic DHCP to start at, say 192.168.0.105 and then give all the home computers a manual ip address for a number below this (between 100 and 104), then your printer should always be assigned ip address of 192.168.0.105.
See if this works. :p

nosehat
November 29th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all the help.

It turns out the Brother printer has a web interface just like the router does. Putting the IP address of the printer into my browser let me access a whole bunch settings I never knew about, including specifying a static IP address.

Presumably the printer demands this address whenever it comes online, and presumably the router respects this request (I'm not sure what the router would do if it's already assigned this address to something else).

This is very counter-intuitive to me. I assumed that the router would have the final say about how the local network is arranged, not the individual devices. I guess I have a lot to learn about networking!

So, the immediate problem is solved, although I'd still love to see a good tutorial on how Ubuntu handles network printers, since this solution seems a little kludge-y to me. :D