PDA

View Full Version : How would I manually degauss a monitor?

Dustin2128
November 29th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I've got a rather annoying magnetic distortion on my CRT monitor and I'd like to get rid of it. The built in degausser isn't working and I'd like to know how to do it manually.

Spr0k3t
November 29th, 2010, 02:28 AM
You need a degausing coil... they are very easy to use. However, if the monitor is under ten years old, the internal degausing coil should work... you just have to hit it many times over a period of a day or two.

handy
November 29th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Talk to a your local friendly electronics tech', he'll probably say if you bring it in I'll do it for you for nothing. As it will cost him only a few minutes of his time to plug in your monitor, give it a quick circular twirl with his magic wand & give the monitor back to you.

Dustin2128
November 29th, 2010, 02:49 AM
You need a degausing coil... they are very easy to use. However, if the monitor is under ten years old, the internal degausing coil should work... you just have to hit it many times over a period of a day or two.
It's around 12 years old. Should the internal one still work?

Talk to a your local friendly electronics tech', he'll probably say if you bring it in I'll do it for you for nothing. As it will cost him only a few minutes of his time to plug in your monitor, give it a quick circular twirl with his magic wand & give the monitor back to you.
I live in a pretty rural area, it'd take me quite a while to drive up to the nearest tech store. I've got a load of DIY tools that generate strong magnetic fields though, is it true that you can degauss with a power drill?

jmszr
November 29th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Dustin2128,

I've always just used a speaker (or, technically, the speaker magnet).

Lucradia
November 29th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Dustin2128,

It takes more than a month for "subtle" magnetic distortions to appear on Telesets and Monitors.

A pure magnet, however, will show the effect immediately. Also, a stereo system that's not name brand, or old enough, will act like a pure magnet, and it isn't the speakers, usually, it's the main system.

handy
November 29th, 2010, 03:13 AM
It's around 12 years old. Should the internal one still work?

I live in a pretty rural area, it'd take me quite a while to drive up to the nearest tech store. I've got a load of DIY tools that generate strong magnetic fields though, is it true that you can degauss with a power drill?

You could try it, though I'd wait until a bit before I needed to go to the big smoke. You could talk to the tech' dude(s) before hand on the phone & see how hungry they are. Solo owner run would probably be the most likely to be kind. That was what I used. I live in a rural area too. (thankfully :))

Dustin2128,

You could try that too, though I know speaker magnets are also one of the prime reasons people need to degauss in the first place.

Shame you don't have an old worn out 14" monitor to play with, you could refine your skills fist training on the thing -R&D. lol

Dustin2128
November 29th, 2010, 03:51 AM
people still use desktop speakers? ;)

handy
November 29th, 2010, 04:13 AM
people still use desktop speakers? ;)

Strange as it may seem, before computers people used to sit in front of TVs all the time & sometimes they messed up their display with the usually unshielded stereo speakers.

Also, plastic shelves that attach to the top of a CRT monitor were quite popular. Some people get into trouble putting desktop speakers or the central speaker of a 5:1 system on top of that.

CharlesA
November 29th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Wait, my center speaker is sitting on top of my monitor.

Oh, right, not a CRT. *whew*

I've used speaker magnets before, but since I have almost gotten rid of all the CRTs around here, I haven't degaussed anything in a while. :P

handy
November 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Lucky...

I've used speaker magnets before, but since I have almost gotten rid of all the CRTs around here, I haven't degaussed anything in a while. :P

So you use the same kind of technique as with degaussing wand, a quick circular swipe around the outside edge of the screen, close enough to have the desired effect?

CharlesA
November 29th, 2010, 04:57 AM
So you use the same kind of technique as with degaussing wand, a quick circular swipe around the outside edge of the screen, close enough to have the desired effect?

Yep. I didn't really have to do it manually all that often, but it worked when I had to.

handy
November 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Yep. I didn't really have to do it manually all that often, but it worked when I had to.

Thanks. :) Now I (we) know how. I doubt I'll have the need in the future somehow.

cariboo
November 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I've got a degaussing coil, but you're probably a long way from Williams Lake. :)

cascade9
November 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Neat trick- if you cant seem to deguass the monitor properly, then put it face to face with another CRT, as close as possible, then deguass the 2nd CRT. Works better if the 2nd monitor is bigger (ie a 17'' with the deguassing problems facing a 19'')

Only really nasty computer speakers are unshielded. I ran a centre speaker under (and over) my old CRT for years, never an issue.

handy
November 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Only really nasty computer speakers are unshielded. I ran a centre speaker under (and over) my old CRT for years, never an issue.

I know from experience my reasonably good quality, very large 120W RMS (3 speakers built in) centre speaker messed up the display on my 19" Sony G400 (or 4**) CRT. But that isn't what is generally called a computer speaker, let alone a nasty one... :p

I still use just that centre speaker, it is the only one I need for what I do in this little room - games, movies, audio-books, whatever.