PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't sudo while drinking

peturingi
November 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Saw this.. (http://www.brokenhumor.com/link.php?id=224)

Then I rememberd.. I was drunk when I did sudo rm -rf / on my workstation.. just out of curiosity

markp1989
November 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
you prob should let people know what that command does encase any one else catches curiosity and does it

(btw it deletes everything on your system)

Lancro
November 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Thats one of the greatest vulnerabilities of linux, Its not protected against drunken users.

matt_symes
November 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hmm. sudo rm -rf / is not a good idea. (New users _dont_ try it. It will wipe your installation.)

Great link though, and sooooo true.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 28th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I would recommend not posting on-line, emailing, or doing anything other than playing games and reading forums/blogs when drinking.
:lolflag:

I'mGeorge
November 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Heh alcohol for linux has the same effect as a good detergent, it leaves your hard disk all cleaned up and sparkly white

Paddy Landau
November 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
And I thought alcohol killed viruses :)

3Miro
November 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I busted my Gentoo install once when I had a bit too much to drink. Sudo and su don't mix with alcohol.

Spice Weasel
November 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Bloody hell, why were you on the computer when you were drunk? :P

Random_Dude
November 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Thats one of the greatest vulnerabilities of linux, Its not protected against drunken users.

Someone should file a bug report.

radar920
November 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Same with the microwave, have you ever burned the roof of your mouth biting into a hot pocket drunk at 2am.

endotherm
November 28th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I've long held, that the first step to partitioning, is to do a quick field sobriety test.

chucky chuckaluck
November 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I think I've done more installations of Arch when drunk than not.

#pacman -Ss bloody_mary

#no package found. walk it off

3Miro
November 29th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Bloody hell, why were you on the computer when you were drunk? :P

What do you mean? Is English not your first language, because you seem to imply that it is possible for a person to not be in front of his/her computer?

saulgoode
November 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
you prob should let people know what that command does encase any one else catches curiosity and does it

saul@tesla:~ $ sudo rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on `/'
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe
saul@tesla:~ $

wojox
November 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Friends don't let friends sudo while drinking.

czr114
November 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I once put the f in fdisk.

Won't do that again.

Backup fully and backup often.

matt_symes
November 29th, 2010, 01:32 AM
saul@tesla:~ $ sudo rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on `/'
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe
saul@tesla:~ $

Excellent. When was that added?

wilee-nilee
November 29th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Seek professional help if the drinking is a addiction.

sisco311
November 29th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Excellent. When was that added?

hardy or intrepid (coreutils >=6.10). 174283

Soupy Twist!

jwbrase
November 29th, 2010, 04:45 AM

I think the thread title and the phrase "I was drunk when" pretty well imply that the actions discussed are not safe.

zer010
November 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I would recommend not posting on-line, emailing, or doing anything other than playing games and reading forums/blogs when drinking.
For those that might still be tempted late at night to PWI (Post While Intoxicated), here's a handy add-on that I haven't tried....:lolflag:
http://www.socialmediasobrietytest.com/

deanjm1963
November 29th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I love sudo while drinking - there's heaps of stuff that I've installed that I would never have thought of installing unless I was in a happy state - and 8 times out of 10 - it's been very good! Cheers all ... now where's my vodka :shock: ?

ctrlmd
November 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Saw this.. (http://www.brokenhumor.com/link.php?id=224)

Then I rememberd.. I was drunk when I did sudo rm -rf / on my workstation.. just out of curiosity
i don't see anything empty black screen nothing else ><''

NightwishFan
November 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
A cold is worse than being drunk. I once deleted all my personal data installing OpenSUSE 10.3 (it doesnt have a forced partition step, if you forget to manually choose it, it just does the default layout). Fixed in 11.0 . I was too busy sneezing to notice I forgot to partition. T_T

Oxwivi
November 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
No, no, pressing next on a a familiar installer is more dangerous. I had flash disk connected to my computer when I was reinstalling Ubuntu, I didn't notice when it came to the partitioning step that it mentioned my USB not the HDD, I just went ahead and chosen to use the whole space. Wiped the USB clean, it did.

Khakilang
November 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
One of my friend try to retrieve mail when he was drunk and he was complaining the internet was very slow so upon checking I told him it could be a virus and he immediately went out and see a doctor.

robsoles
November 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
For those that might still be tempted late at night to PWI (Post While Intoxicated), here's a handy add-on that I haven't tried....:lolflag:
http://www.socialmediasobrietytest.com/

Classic! I should probably install that but I think I'd just kill it at the crucial point it could save me a bit of face so, oh, never mind :p

Random_Dude
November 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Friends don't let friends sudo while drinking.

You might get caught by the cyberpolice and charged with a SUI.

nlsthzn
November 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
This thread is full of win :D

Hexley
November 29th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hmm.. alcolocks for sudo? (Password for the password) :P

julio_cortez
November 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
This thread is full of win :D
Yeah, I used to do that when I was drunk, too.. They were the good old days of Windows 3.1 and when DOS booted and I found myself in front of the CLI showing C:\ > I admit that I often typed
C:\ > win

No, seriously, I was too little even to know what alcohol was, at the time Win 3.1 got released. I was just 7 :p

Famicube64
November 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Just a reminder, running this command will also wipe any external drives mounted. Yeah, yeah, I did it once.

matt_symes
November 29th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Just a reminder, running this command will also wipe any external drives mounted. Yeah, yeah, I did it once.

Ouch. ;)

julio_cortez
November 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Just a reminder, running this command will also wipe any external drives mounted. Yeah, yeah, I did it once.I also did it on purpose to see how much damage it could do to my system (and no, I was not drunk.. I just had to wipe the entire disk and re-partition anyway so I already had backed everything up).

I can confirm the damage is HUGE! Ubuntu install heavily damaged, Windows install completely destroyed, data partition gone.
It's been a massacre :popcorn:

oldos2er
November 29th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Linux will never hide your car keys. :)

98cwitr
November 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Ive executed that command sober before :?

chriswyatt
November 29th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Posting on forums and social networks while drunk is dangerous enough. :o

I got back from a club once and logged on to a forum, and I must've been close to passing out as I found just complete jibberish posted on this forum the next morning, promptly deleted it when I saw it! I think I'd started typing something that was going to make sense, and then some nonsensical words, followed by random letters and then followed by a string of dots. :\

endotherm
November 29th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I'm reminded of a mini-game from some TV show last year. the game was called "Drunk or Kid", and involved someone telling a tale of stupid actions (like jumping off a roof onto a trampoline), after which the audience placed bets on whether the action occured when the teller was Drunk, or a Kid.

Christmas
November 29th, 2010, 11:50 PM

I second this strongly. And watching YouTube clips and listening to music. :guitar:

t0p
November 30th, 2010, 12:06 AM
There ought to be a law against using computers/the internet while under the influence. You know how some laptops come with a fingerprint reader? Well, they should come with a breathalyzer too, or maybe a needle that pin-pricks your finger then reads the blood/alcohol content.

While we're at it, how about heavily-armed SWAT-type teams monitoring our internet usage, ready with the stun grenades if we criticize our Glorious Leaders? And maybe mind-reading apparati to do away with thought crimes?

endotherm
November 30th, 2010, 12:50 AM
There ought to be a law against using computers/the internet while under the influence. You know how some laptops come with a fingerprint reader? Well, they should come with a breathalyzer too, or maybe a needle that pin-pricks your finger then reads the blood/alcohol content.

While we're at it, how about heavily-armed SWAT-type teams monitoring our internet usage, ready with the stun grenades if we criticize our Glorious Leaders? And maybe mind-reading apparati to do away with thought crimes?
oh I don't know. most of the Internet appears to be designed on the assumption that the client is inebriated. hence the blink tag. popular memes in particular seem to gravitate to poor spelling and grammar. perhaps soon intoxication will be mandatory, as the only people that use the internet sober are the cyber-criminals. everyone else is encouraged to give their credit card numbers to as many people as possible. it helps teh enconomy, ya know.

giddyup306
November 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM

I tried it in VB with 10.04 out of curiosity.

bob_gates@ubuntu:~$ sudo rm -rf /
[sudo] password for bob_gates:
rm: cannot remove root directory `/'
bob_gates@ubuntu:~$

robsoles
November 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM

If you really need to trash your VM then just replace that forward slash with a star (asterisk, [Shift]+[8] on my keyboard) - I won't post the command proper because we are not to post malicious commands and it is surely a malicious command if you try it with the change I have blabbed: No warnings, just deletion in progress. A safe way to check this out more is to boot from a LiveCD and choose 'Try Ubuntu' and grab it's terminal and knock yourself out but don't mount your actual (nor any you care for the files in) filesystem(s) as their content will wiped if root has write privileges over them for goodness sake!

I reckon the original post of this thread would probably have been jailed if it had contained the line I indicate, I'm thinking twice about submitting this post - it's an unrecoverable operation, you could get me drunk out of my mind and I would still 'do what I had to' to stop you from executing this command on / on an installation anyone cares for, right up until I pass out!

The only errors the command throws when you are at / (ie., cd /[Enter] into terminal) and enter the rm command as implied are things it can't delete even as root - X remained up behind my terminal but I have no point of reference to anything by GUI nor terminal after executing this borker off a LiveCD in a VM.

I'mGeorge
November 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
'cause if you do

sudo apt-get gimme whisky

you might get a whole bottle of ubuntu whisky and adding that to your drunkenness you could end up in an alcoholic comma

fatharraxman
November 30th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I learned that I should luck my Ubuntu installed-computer before drinking, but am not caring for my Windows installed-device, it may stay bare(Windows?......I hope I'll open it While drunk;) )

Oxwivi
November 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I wonder if it's possible to manually crack into Windows while drunk...

matt_symes
November 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
wonder if it's possible to manually crack into Windows while drunk...

That's possible while asleep :)

Grenage
November 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM
There ought to be a law against using computers/the internet while under the influence. You know how some laptops come with a fingerprint reader? Well, they should come with a breathalyzer too

They do exist, iirc.

Anywho; if one is sitting alone on a computer and getting drunk, lost data is probably the least of their issues. Making some actual friends, or at least drinking socially, would be a better way to go.

julio_cortez
November 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
And maybe mind-reading apparati to do away with thought crimes?Oh funk. I'm in serious danger then.
With all the times I thought "if only I could kill $name" I would be in prison in no time..

DZ*
December 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM

In Maverick VM (under Fedora host), it printed

"it is dangerous to operate recursively on /
use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe"

When I added that, it trashed the system with some "permission denied" errors, and it didn't completely die until reboot. System monitor continued running, but the time switched to GMT NOTE: this can trash the host and any mounted media too if you forget to unmount them.

sisco311
December 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM
When I added that, it trashed the system with some "permission denied" errors

virtual filesystems

, and it didn't completely die until reboot. System monitor continued running, but the time switched to GMT

RAM

NOTE: this can trash the host and any mounted media too if you forget to unmount them.

+1

be careful when you remove /