PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help installing Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition on Samsung NC10

RWD123
November 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hey. Yesterday I was given a Samsung NC10 netbook. The previous owner had somehow managed to corrupt it and the OS had been erased so he told me I could have it if I could fix it because it would really help me with my school work.

I managed to download Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition onto a USB and run it by holding down ESC when the netbook started to get to the Boot Menu. I can try Ubuntu fine (and I must say it's brilliant) but am having HUGE problems with the install.

Install Ubuntu-Netbook>Has all the things required for best result ticked>selected erase and use entire disk>Install now

Once I've done all that it starts "copying files" then "[Errno 5] Input/output error" pops up then when I push ok it says the installer has crashed.

I've tried installing it loads of times, with internet on/off, plugged in/not, tried clearing data from the hard drive, re-downloaded the ISO document, tried using different USB ports and have tried using different devices but to nothing has worked.

If anyone knows of anything then PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY need this netbook for school

sikander3786
November 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Are you sure the machine is not overheating? Try to clean the dust by using some compressed air.

Secondly, are you sure both the USB driver and the HDD are both just Good?

Did you check the MD5SUM of downloaded image?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Have you got a CD-Drive in there?

RWD123
December 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Problems solved! It was just a dodgy ISO file. Re-downloaded it (for about the fourth time) and it worked :)

Thank you for your help