PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu?

sbmuser
November 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hello there,

I am considering a dual boot with my existing Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

The question is not HOW, but rather WHY.

The main arguments I have heard for Ubuntu are:

It's faster
It doesn't get PC viruses
Almost every application is free

Now, I already have a machine fast enough for my needs. I also have a very good AV software program that has protected me against threats sufficiently in the past. Furthermore, I have a good application library as of right now.

I am not trying to undermine Ubuntu. My main question is if there would be a good reason for me to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7. I mean, I love the virtual desktops, but that's all I'm seeing so far.

I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

exterran
November 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
It sounds as if you have already convinced yourself that you do not need Ubuntu or any other Linux distro, so do not bother to install it. If, on the other hand, that other operating system is not satisfying your every need and you would like to prove to yourself that Linux is a trustworthy alternative, feel free to install and experiment.

slixz85
November 28th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I support ubuntu fully but coming from windows you definitely need to install alongside windows because it does take some getting used to if you have never used linux especially, but the application possibilites can be endless and i am runnin a laptop with just 1gb mem and 1.8 ghz processor and it does load quickly.

so best answer for you without knowing anything is just install it alongside windows or better yet burn you a live cd and check it out from the live cd without ever installing anything on your hard drive it will just run from your memory.
keep in mind of course when runnin it off a cd it will be superslow just because of the obvious its not on your hard drive ready to go.

if your a gamer however and thats what you like to do. install it and use it for everything but gaming keep windows for gaming. linux isnt commercially available like windows so the support for gaming is a bit behind but as far as desktop environment and how it looks it is ahead of windows in my mind, you can modify anything to make it look how you want

slixz85
November 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
yeah you just gotta hop in the water and make sure it aint too cold. but it could warm up fast for ya

sikander3786
November 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Can't answer that "Why" specifically.

Better if you boot from a Live CD/USB without making any changes and try Ubuntu yourself. Then make a decision if you need it or not.

I am not going to argue on the vastly debatable topic "Windows vs Linux". Choose the one that better suits you. If you are happy with Windows, just stay with it. Unless you've got some real interest in Linux/Ubuntu, you won't enjoy it I bet.

And I think you are here to satisfy your brain, "Ahhhh, I really need Ubuntu" :lolflag:

Good Luck!

Simian Man
November 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
There are two main groups who Linux is good for. The first is those who are just into computers. With Linux, you can pull the covers back and see how everything works, it has a lot of great programming tools, and experience with it is good for those in the IT field. Then there are those who need an OS to run on there older/virus-ridden hardware.

It doesn't sound like you're in either group, so I'd recommend sticking with Windows.

freesitebuilder
November 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Main reason I switched was that my XP was coming to the end of it's supported life (and that was 5 years ago!) and I couldn't afford to buy a new PC that would run Vista. I allowed for a six-month minimum learning curve - in fact I soon got used to Ubuntu, although like any OS there's always something new to learn.

dondiego2
November 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Sound like your happy with Windows and you've already made your decision. It's a personal decision and that's why there are choices. We shouldn't have to try and convince you. Nobody convinced me. For my purposes, I thought it was a much better system than Windows and I've been running it for a year now and don't see any reason to switch back. I'm too used to Ubuntu now and I would miss it. But that's me. You may have a different opinion.

So run whatever OS you want that serves your purposes.

madjr
November 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
3 years ago i had the same question.

but in reality you need to try it for yourself and see if you like it or not.

personally for me it has become like a hobby (something i didnt expect)

this is why i read blogs like omgubuntu, i never get bored. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

anyway, ubuntu has saved my quite a few times, first with xp , then with vista.

First it was like a backup OS, then it became my main OS.

I had viruses wreck my work environment and data stolen, (passwords and even info from one of my credit cards, which someone in a foreign country attempted to use. Gladly they failed, but not by much i suppose) am not sure how that happen, but i suspect it was a trojan horse, some type of keyloggers or worm the antivirus didnt detect.

since then, any stuff that involves my sensible data or download any program (even insert foreign usb drives) i do it only on my linux partition. I prefer even to browse the web using linux. I now am safe from windows viruses/malware/spyware and not "maybe" safe.

I just read that Millions of facebook users are infected and they dont even know it. and yes, their computer came with an antivirus.

Linux has always been focused on security first (no direct root access by apps) and even the lower market share helps a bit.

i dont want to make anyone panic here, but that has been my personal experience. I know the majority have better luck, but some of us dont.

Linux isn't perfect and may still be missing some stuff, but not having to do maintenance work daily or every other day (being security, defragmenting or cleaning the registry) has given me the peace of mind i have now, which is priceless.

if you're happy windows user then there's is no need to switch, but instead have it as a backup os, just like windows is my secondary backup and somewhat gaming os (having the option is better than not having it). But like i said, people should try stuff and see for themselves.

fatharraxman
November 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM
William van Hagen wrote a nice answer in his book Ubuntu Linux Bible:Ubuntu means “humanity to others,” but the title bar on the Ubuntu web pages has often stated
“Linux for People,” and that’s what Ubuntu is really about╃—╃a Linux distribution for people who
want to get work done with a minimum of fuss and bother. Never mind that it’s also a technically
sophisticated Linux distribution with up-to-date software. Does it do what I want it to do?
The answer is unquestionably “Yes!” However, if you’re unconvinced or find yourself in a discussion
about Linux at a cocktail party, you may want more empirical data. Here are a few of the
attributes of Ubuntu Linux that make it an attractive distribution to just about anyone:
Regular, u LL p-to-date releases: The Linux kernel and the thousands of software packages
that make up the Linux user and administrative environment are constantly being
updated. As discussed earlier in this chapter, providing the latest and greatest kernel and
application software on a regular schedule is a fundamental principle of Ubuntu Linux.
LLCommitment to quality: The quality of a Linux distribution hinges on two things: how
good it is in the first place, and the distributing vendor’s degree of commitment to fixing
problems that arise. In both cases, Ubuntu shines. Each release goes through extensive
internal testing by the Ubuntu team and extensive public testing of release candidates.
Once a release occurs, updates for that release are delivered for a minimum of 18
months (as needed, of course).Community and commercial support: Much of the support for any Linux distribution
comes from its user community, and it’s hard to beat the passion and commitment of
the Ubuntu community. However, just as no business can afford to depend on an operating
system without a reasonable maintenance commitment, no business can afford
to depend on an operating system without some chance of guaranteed support. As
discussed later in this chapter, a complete spectrum of commercial and community support
is readily available for Ubuntu Linux.
LL Easy retrieval and application of updates: The previous bullets have stressed the
importance of being able to keep installed Linux systems up-to-date. Ubuntu provides
great tools that notify users when updates are available and makes them easy to obtain
and install. Ubuntu’s graphical Update Manager and Synaptic Package Manager tools
(discussed in Chapter 19) are the best examples of such tools that I have ever used.
LL Focus on usability: Ubuntu defines itself as “Linux for People” and provides custom
graphics, window decorations, and color schemes designed to provide an attractive,
usable desktop environment for real people for personal use and to get work done. Like
any other Linux distribution, you can customize this extensively, even switching to any
of a variety of other window managers or desktop environments that are easily retrieved
and installed through tools such as the Synaptic Package Manager. Ubuntu uses the
GNOME desktop environment by default, which is well known for its support of and
sensitivity toward accessibility requirements such as keyboard equivalents for menus
and menu commands.
LLFocus on internationalization:

fatharraxman
November 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
1- because it is always free and some times very very cheap
2- because it is save and secure
3- because it is fast and got a glorification of desktops
4- because it is a community powered; you can ask any question any where any time and you will be answered professorially
5- because it is the future of OS: Google,Yahoo,Novel,IBM,Intell,Dell,Hp,apple (Macintoch OS X) all moved / moving to Ubuntu
I am very besy as a dovtor I need to go now but I am very sorry for the last 12 years I spet using Windows really
test it and you can find more answers to why :P

Jay Car
November 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hello there,

It's faster

Now, I already have a machine fast enough for my needs. I also have a very good AV software program that has protected me against threats sufficiently in the past. Furthermore, I have a good application library as of right now.

I am not trying to undermine Ubuntu. My main question is if there would be a good reason for me to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7. I mean, I love the virtual desktops, but that's all I'm seeing so far.

You seem quite happy with Windows. Ubuntu isn't Windows (For some people that's quite enough reason to use Ubuntu.)

The thing is, switching away from Windows takes some planning and learning new habits (and UN-learning a lot of old ones!). It can be frustrating sometimes, especially if your expectations are not immediately met. A little patience and perseverance are necessary (in my case, some might describe it as stubbornness and determination), but well worth it in the end.

Considering the huge amount of information regarding alternative operating systems available - with just a few Google searches (or Bing! searches, if you must) - you've surely already read about all the benefits to be gained by switching. If you still need folks to "convince" you further, then you likely aren't ready to make the change.

If you DO make the change, do it because you actually want to, not because someone else thinks/says you should. You'll save yourself a lot of grief, and save Ubuntu Forums from one more "Ubuntu sucks, I'm going back to Windows" post a month from now.

Seriously, if you want to try it, try it. Nothing could be easier than using a Live CD (or USB), or a Wubi install, or a dual boot. If after you've tried any of those you still see no benefit, then don't use it.

It's not about what works for Ubuntu users, it's all about what works for you.

cap10Ibraim
November 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
If you want to have a new experience , discover , and learn more
then install linux

dFlyer
November 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hello there,

It's faster

As I alway say an OS is a personal choice. If your happy with the one you have stay with it. If your not happy there are options, many out there to try in the form of linux. The distro you choose is up to you.

lswartz
November 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Wow, so many good answers. That should also be included when you are making your decision

cmcanulty
November 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM
try wubi it installs within windows and can be removed through the normal uninstall in control panel it is ubuntu only a bit slower as the computer is still running windows in background. You n also do a dual boot system
http://wubi.sourceforge.net/

pbpersson
November 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
1. Linux is maturing at a rate faster than Windows in some cases. This is because companies and individuals all over the planet are working on applications and features for this operating system, since it is open source. Microsoft wants to be "in control" of Windows so they are one company competing against the world.

2. Every other major operating system on the planet is based on Unix or Linux - including Macintosh. Here again, it is Microsoft against the world. It is my suspicion that over time Windows will not be able to compete with the technical advances in the Linux/Unix/Macintosh camp.

3. Everything is done differently which is quite often better. For instance, in the Windows world if you install a brand new OS you need to either get out a stack of disks (with the original CD keys) to re-install everything or go to twenty different web sites and download everything. On my machine I have nearly 2000 packages installed - they were all installed using one application and I get updates for all of them from one source automatically. If I want to re-install my operating system or move to another machine I just send a snapshot file over to that machine and with one command that machine will install all 2000 packages in un-attended mode.

Linux is so different! :)

Disclaimer: Linux is not for everyone, there can be a steep learning curve, your actual results may vary. ;)

cdude42
November 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
3 years ago i had an old XP machine with 256mb of Ram and a 1.7 Ghz processor. I needed a speed boost and a friend told me about ubuntu. I really had no idea what ubuntu was, but one day, i burned myself a CD and installed it. I had never tried the OS or even seen any images. I now look back as a faithful ubuntu user. I would never switch back to windows.

slixz85
November 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
boy we jumped all over this topic quick. go help someone else you guys LMAO

onaridge
November 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
My 5 cents: No matter how good your AV, a virus will get past you, or spyware...eventually. I feel a lot safer doing my banking and not worrying about spyware every time I boot. Speaking of boot, you don't have to shutdown daily, and can keep Ubuntu running for weeks. Windows will just slow down and stop if you do that. It's nice to be bale to just flip up the top of my laptop and not wait to boot. I love the multiple desktops. You don't have that in Windows. Ubuntu is pretty much maintenance free. Windows is not. You have to defrag frequently. There are also endless updates, patches upon patches in Windows. I just have better piece of mind with Ubuntu.

weasel fierce
November 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Im going to be the idealist guy and ask:

What is freedom worth to you?

juancarlospaco
November 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Because i can.

neu5eeCh
November 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Because it's fun. Fun. Fun. Fun.

There are hundreds of programs available through the Software Center. If you were to reproduce the same on the Windows side, it would cost you thousands of dollars (if not tens of thousands). If money is no object, then stick with windows.

Ubuntu is always updating and trying out new features. There's a fantastic feeling of experimentation and exploration in the Linux community. It just doesn't exist in Windows (for me at least). With Windows, you get what you get. Like it, lump it, or, if possible, pay money to change it. The Windows desktop isn't remotely as configurable as a Linux desktop (not without paying money). And once you pay that money, you will have to pay it again with the next version of Windows - ditto for most, if not all, the software you're presently using on Windows.

I'm not rich. After Win7 (which is lovely and as good as Win2000) I decided I just couldn't afford to update everything. Third party software makers salivate every time MS updates Windows. Enough.

But most of all, Linux is fun. I love being able to tweak (and wreck) my system.

Having used Linux for the past year, I'm already getting more and more interested in programming (I used noodle around with Basic and Pascal).

zipteye
November 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I think windows 7 is pretty darned good.

I downloaded linux due to school. First Fedora, but it pissed me off so I went with ubuntu.
Everything said here about ubuntu can also be said about Mac OSX.
Except... there are a lot more apps that can be had and run (from what I'm seeing) with Ubuntu than with Mac.
Apple used to build bullet proof hardware and O.S., but they have switched to the intel chipset, so now you can pick up some of the viruses that windows does.
So can linux.
The code base is much better from apple though, or at least has been in the past. No need to let your customers essentially beta test the OS because you didn't do it right the first time.
Apple and Linux usually dont have any glaring security holes.

The coolest thing to me?
The Live Cd.
Since linux doesnt honor the NTFS file permissions on your windows, you can pop the cd in and see and access any file you want no matter what the file restrictions are. You can even see deleted recycle bin stuff.

akand074
November 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'd say the reason to try Ubuntu over Windows based on why I use Ubuntu over windows is the fact that your a lot less limited on Ubuntu. Other operating systems like Windows, and even worse operating systems made by Apple are strongly designed so that you can only do what they allow you to do, you can only look at what they allow you to look at, and can only change what they allow you to change. It also allows proprietary software to take advantage of you.

Anyways that is not the main reason. Ubuntu is a lot more customizable, you can change just about everything, the look and feel, the way it runs based on what you do. I can do things 10x more efficiently on Ubuntu compared to Windows now. Also theres a lot of times when you want to do this one task and probably will never do it again. In windows it takes a while looking for a quick "free" software to do it. I found myself before installing dozens of software only to find out that the "trial" doesn't allow me to do what I want, or you have to go buy software in which you can't return if it doesn't work out the way you thought because you've already used up the product key for it (or other ways of getting software.....). Anyways its such a pain. In Ubuntu one quick search, I find a few good softwares, I can have all of them installed/uninstalled in minutes to check them out, get the job done, then uninstall it. Not to mention you have a lot less to worry about, I sometimes intentionally click on something I know is a virus to laugh at it failing because it doesn't work in Ubuntu.

Another thing purely for novelty is things like Compiz and desktop cube thats really cool and using multiple desktops I find really handy personally. Easier to organize things I'm working on by grouping them in different workspaces. Sometimes just to move things I don't want to close out of the way until I want to use it again later.

Also in Windows I would be damned if I could last two or three days before my computer gets unbearable to use without restarting the computer. I keep my computer on at all times, the record longest I've personally had it was about 52 days without it shutting off still running like a champ. I only turned it off to boot into a new kernel update (I had actually completely skipped one kernel update). Also I found my computer knowledge increased quite a bit ever since I moved to Ubuntu from Windows.

Those are some of the reasons I use Ubuntu over Windows. But honestly, it seems like you have no problems with Windows right now, sometimes its best to not fix what is not broken. But if you were interested, you can try Ubuntu from a live CD, or even better just install it side by side with Windows, and give a try sometimes. Thats how I started, I liked Ubuntu for the novelty, but it was different and I couldn't be bothered to go through the learning curve for it a the time but I booted into it for fun occasionally to play around with the desktop cube. Then one day I got super fed up with Norton on Vista and I swore to myself that I would never go back to Windows on my desktop again. I shut down, booted into Ubuntu and never booted into Windows on any desktop I've had from that date and don't regret it.

I did not mean for that to become a personal story haha but with whatever you choose good luck. What is important is that you use what works best for your particular needs.

Lancro
November 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Install it with wubi, its what I did, in less than a week I was only using ubuntu, If you dont like it, just control panel, remove programs, ubuntu, and Its out in less than 10 seconds, so Its easy to try, Its free to try, nothing to lose, and you can see for yourself if linux is made for you.

anewguy
November 28th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I would really *nix* the wubi idea - if you scan the forum you find people have more problems with it than it is usually worth. Why? Because most don't realize wubi is just to try out ubuntu - after you like it you need to do an install instead.

Regardless of that, I'll throw in my 2-cents worth.

Overall, are you happy with Windows and able to do everything you need to? Then there is no reason to switch. In a case such as yours, where your needs are already being met, it is a choice of trying something new, not that you "have" to.

Regardless of viruses, etc., that aren't present in the Linux world, if you're happy don't switch.

I'm a big fan of ubuntu and linux, but I also know that for most people a computer is just a means to accomplish an end. If you can presently do all you want to then there is no reason to try linux.

Dave ;)

Penguin=)
November 28th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Why Ubuntu?.

Because its awesome.

Its faster
Download everything (most things) free!
No viruses
Good interface
No hassle
Great for gaming
Easy to boot (really fast too!)

so i reccomend you get Linux, ubuntu is best but you may go for another distro.

Hope this was usefull.:popcorn:

JBAlaska
November 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Here's a experiment, go to a major windows forum and post that your thinking of trying Linux/Ubuntu and see what replies you get.

If you do that, please post a link for us. Thanks!

3Miro
November 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Math geek answer: y0

Serious answer: google "free as in freedom"

msandoy
November 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
You seem to be quite comfortable with windows, but since you are actually asking this question, it means you have an interest in learning. I have used Windows and Linux in dual boot systems for years now, and that is the best sollution if you have specific program needs, not covered by the open source community.
Think of this like buying a car. Take it for a test drive to make up your mind. For me, I chose to keep both.
Linux is great for learning how the computer actually works.
Good luck!

Random_Dude
November 28th, 2010, 11:44 PM
For fun?
That was one of my reasons, alongside with curiosity and interest about computers. And for the record, I'm not in the IT field. I just like to experiment. :D

Just make sure you really want to learn, because you'll definitely run into some issues that require you to google around a lot. If you don't have the patience (which is understandable), just stick with what you have, nobody's judging you. ;)

Cheers :cool:

fatharraxman
November 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I scanned the answers above
I amused reading them all and really learned much from them
as a result I didn't found any one tried Ubuntu over Widows and then turned back to windows, no one, SO I BET, you will have the same fate, (if you tried), please take a look, how many answers do you have here? oh my god
isn't this alone a convincing answer for you to try Ubuntu?
ok if not, or let us assume this is not a convincing reply to you;
(I know it is not important to convince you trying something you don't like), but I am in contrary to most ideas here; believe that you are not happy with windows, yes, you said that you have the most powerful AV, every application on earth, very rich and can buy any thing for your Windows, but YOU CAME TO UBUNTU FORUMS and got an account !!!...why?
this is a very strategic step towards Ubuntu usage and guess what !
you will never be able not to try Ubuntu, I beg you to try.....
I tried
and
failed
I have every thing in my X-Windows (7)
(I don't assume that because I did every buddy should )
but I believe that no matter how many answers you got here or will get.......no matter how nice answers you google on the internet ........the most attractive answers will show up from you after using Ubuntu
seem as if am trying to convince you? ohhh not so much
I convinced many programmers, users, doctors, kids, politicians, in just few weeks,or to be accurate in less than one month, but NOT thee...... ok ?
am only saying this for real
and for knowledge .....to me....Ubuntu is a magic
no one can defeat it... no one
not true mumbo-jumbo as many may misunderstand me but a magic of its own charm,ummmm.....
yes, I downloaded it in about 6 hours, installed it in 15 minutes
updated it in an hour with a very bad internet connection
this is impossible in Windows, isn't it?
I installed it inside windows,this is impossible too in windows, isn't it?
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it after burning it in a USB in about one hour, I was testing 4 USB creator softwares all of which were free available online with very small size to download
waw ........ great
I switch between interferences easily, waw ....
waw again
I keep windows 7 seeing its files,but windows was unable to see all my Ubuntu files as if Ubuntu inside widows is a spirit, if you believe in those (never mind)
I learn......... ok
this is the most important to me, linux and Ubuntu is an open school, a free scholarship if you like , I understood many computer basics (just in one month I learnt more than what I did in the past 12 years of using windows )so I feel as if I can manage windows much better if I returned to it one day (which is imposable even if I have to)
yah.....
and
yes Ubuntu is made for windows users even if the creators didn't mean to, but it is a hunter of windows users, and you will be one , if not yet,
you don't need?
of course you,you may feel so, but you need (not you have to)it, you need it because every body does
you need it not because it is free (no money needed) or free(freedom) or neat or so and so
you need it because you asked why
so let me have a turn and ask you why ? why you ask why? if you don't need ( I know your about a dual boot already, but let us consider it a general discussion, not an individually arrowed argument)
maybe because you feel you are not very sure, about how dreadfully you need it, but ......let me say : you urgently need it
if you are a Windows user I mean, let me assume that you are a normal user like me, seeing all these answers above from all those nicely caring people , ok..and I ask you to ignore them.
ignore me too.
I can list all the why using Ubuntu now from these answers but give me a seconds and ignore us all
Look around, and you will learn that every thing is developing swiftly,even the universe, there you came from, I mean the past
windows is the past
Ubuntu is the future
and you now in the middle of them
read those classic novels, listen to these classic musics
but of course you will need to close your doors and have a walk in the 21st century streets one day
you are looking from the window now
believe me
you will have to have a walk
let me ask you back in correction to the title of your nice thread:not pretty why but; when Ubuntu?
I support Mark Shuttleworth (the founder of Ubuntu)over the first bug he reported and Ubuntu will remove it for sure do you know what is that bug? Microsoft Windows marketplace
If you are less than 60 years old you will attend that brilliant moment

Spr0k3t
November 29th, 2010, 12:40 AM
A very simple answer to the why.

Every computer system should have a way to function as a simple user medium separate from the primary operating system.

Not one antivirus software is 100% foolproof or completely fail safe. According to the major vendors and tech web sites, there's an average of 200 threats created on a daily basis. These threats can be anything from viruses, malware, rogues, rootkits, replicators, backdoor trojans, remote installers, or even duplicates of any of the previously mentioned with a different fingerprint/naming scheme. Having a secondary operating system accessible only from booting from it will help keep many of these threats from destroying the computer as a usable system.

If not a form of Linux distribution in general, then at least some alternate operating system which would allow you to access the internet and file structure on your primary system drive. If need should be there, even having a LiveCD at your disposal would potentially save your system from being a door stop or even give you the possibility to retrieve destroyed files or resurect a dying hard drive.

Outside of that, I see no reason to have a second operating system on your computer. Whichever operating system you choose to have as a pending backup system, make sure you know how to use the operating system so you are not fumbling around with all thumbs and two left feet trying to make heads or tails. With Windows 7, the only way to install another version of Windows is to install it to a completely separate partition or hard drive. Not for the faint technical trivet.

cmcanulty
November 29th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Ubuntu doesn't require so much computer resources that you have to constantly upgrade your machine to have it work in new version of OS. My laptop with 1GB RAM would hardly work with vista or windows 7, yet it is pretty speedy in Ubuntu even though I tend to multi task too much.

slixz85
November 29th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Just get it. You will be reading this for days

new_tolinux
November 29th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Well, aside from all those ubuntu-is-the-best-and-only-comments..... hmm
As said above, the choice for an OS is a personal thing.

I used Windows 7, and it's pretty good as a desktop-OS.
Since about a month I use 10.10 as my primary-OS, but.... it hangs from time to time, which Windows didn't. Don't know if that's 10.10, because I have a server running 8.10/9.04/9.10 and yet 10.04 without any problems (desktop versions installed).

Big plus for Windows is that most programs that you'll have to buy just are for Windows ;-) Wine seems to do the trick sometimes, but well, it's never as good as the original thing.
Big plus for limux is that there aren't any real viruses out in the wild for linux systems, which saves you the processor-time of a virusscanner, but that can change tomorrow.

All that said: you should not use Ubuntu or linux if you're not willing to give it a real try. Both Windows and linux have their own plusses and minusses, so to be honest it's just a matter of what fits best.

My personal opinion: Linux is still very much like Windows 3.1, it looks awfull and there's still a lot to be done from the command prompt. It only handles newer hardware better than Windows 3.1 ;) and it's easier to find software.

Khakilang
November 29th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I've been using Windows since 95. The reason I switch to Ubuntu is because I don't want to constantly scanning for virus, defrag the hard disk, clean registry and daily security updates. It simply annoying and a waste of time. With Ubuntu I have more free time on my hand that is why I can afford to spend my time here. Beside it is the most user friendly Distro I can find.

TeeRoy32
November 29th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Well i chose Linux because of all the virus and security hassles (i even had a 12 year old kid hack into my system even with av firewall a antispyware) but i went with opensuse first wich was quite difficult to setup to some one used to windows but i stuck it out and got it working but i was having trouble getting media to work in anything other than vlc. A quick google search found me mint wich played all my media out of the box. But the set up didn't apeal to me (looked to much like windows xp) a bit more digging told me it was just a respin of ubuntu so i tried ubuntu and media didn't work straight up but a quick look in the Ubuntu software center found me the codecs (easier than the first time in xp and struggled till i stumbled across k lite codec pack after a lot of surfing). All my stuff works and it looks so much like osx which does appeal to me but the price of the mac and the restrictiveness of it don't. I been using Linux for six months now i haven't had any stuff-ups with my OS unless i **** around experimenting but with a live cd with system recovery it doesn't take long to get everything up and running again. When ever xp stuffs up the recovery on the windows CD is text based and doesn't work very well any way. Vista sucks,wipes and blows and seven costs to much. Ubuntu is Linux for the masses and easy to use and also one of the fastest and most up to date Linux. Scratch your curiosity give it a go you owe it to your self . DUAL BOOT its easy as

Zlatan
November 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hello there,

It's faster

On your antivirus:
link (http://www.computer-2tr.co.cc/traditional-antivirus-programs-useless-against-new-unidentified-viruses.html)
Another thing that you'd like in Ubuntu- no licence keys.
And another- Ubuntu Software Center.
And another- no CDs needed when new hardware added.
And another- changing looks easily.
And another- you will not be stuck in current version of your OS for years.
And safety.
And so on...

HermanAB
November 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hmm,

Windows is fragile and requires constant tender loving care and maintenance.

Nobody pays me to fix my own computer all the time, so I prefer Linux, as it can run for years without any maintenance.

My last web/mail server ran for 4 years with no updates and no restarts, till the PSU burned out. The new one has now been going for just over a year. Don't try that with Windows.

c00lwaterz
November 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
If i were you, I will dual boot. If you are into game then install windows to play games then use primarily your ubuntu as main for regular and daily work. In my experience, I use windows and ubuntu and at first I use a lot windows task then now it's like 80% of the time i use ubuntu. My windows vista is now so silent that I didn't use it for a week. because I use windows sometimes when i need it but right now I almost forgot to use it lols. maybe when playing games, I will use windows, but for daily and regular task such as web surfing, research, instant messaging, watching videos, listing music and other stuff, I will use ubuntu.

Ubuntu is free, and it has friendly community like this one. I feel very safe here. I mean, many people here come to help, respond to your topic. Other forum is boring, Not the topic but the people is not active and some people only give nonsens replies. I like the community here.

There are also many free software such as LMMS, RythmBox, Banshee, Totem, VLC, simple Games, open office, and etc... the ubuntu software center is a big help and a genius invention that ubuntu made. It provides updates for free software application you can easily choose from.

I will never delete my ubuntu. I will always use ubuntu. If i don't play games anymore, then i will stick to ubuntu. ubuntu is faster and you can use a cheaper specs than buying expensive machine just to satisfy your need for windows.

all i can say is, install what you want, but ubuntu is always here and you can come back anytime. ubuntu will always welcome people. the ubuntu door is always open for humans. Sometimes, I wish i can contribute here with great work but im not that good in programming. I have experience entry level programming before but not hard core. I also forgot how to program because of my environment., I mean, i don't program anymore., i do business (small business) for more than 4 years. and little contribution that i do is using this software and testing it. I also active here in community and if i learn the way of ubuntu, I can help others as well.

many people in ubuntu contribute in, helping others by responding here for technical issues, some people make themes, designing desktop, etc..

you can answer your question "why"?
you know what you need and it's all with you. :p

Dragonbite
November 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hello there,

It's faster

Actually it depends on "how" you use your computer, and "why" you are considering Ubuntu or Linux?!

People have their own reason for using Ubuntu and you'll need to find your own.

I use Ubuntu because it is more stable than the Windows I have used, safer, runs on my hardware faster, provides a boat-load of applications without having to shell out some dough and frees me up from having to use trialware or spend money for applications or services that I may or may not really want.

I dual-boot my Ubuntu desktop because I want access to the Windows 7 hard drive for compatibility reasons. There are just some times, like remoting into work, formatting my USB drives, using Visual Studio (express) and more, that things work better in Windows than Linux. Unfortunately my system doesn't have the right CPU for running in XP Mode (so I can't use some of my older programs), my graphics card can't handle Aero (so I miss out on the eye candy, plus it grinds to a crawl anythign that relies on it) and most of my odler programs don't work on it (and I'd rather not pay for upgrading them).

So I rarely boot into Windows, and having a laptop from work I have even less reason to boot into Windows at this point.

If everything works for you, then "why" are you looking at dual-booting with Ubuntu? What do you hope to gain from it?

fatharraxman
November 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
My personal opinion: Linux is still very much like Windows 3.1, it looks awfull and there's still a lot to be done from the command prompt. It only handles newer hardware better than Windows 3.1 ;) and it's easier to find software.
This I feel is UNFAIR
There is no any any sameness between those stuff called Windows 3.1 and the now used Linux including Ubuntu friend,not a bit similarity
as you know the windows command line is very primitive in comparison to Ubuntu even in the new endeavors of Microsoft to enhance MS DOS, it still very far from Linux Terminal powers, Microsoft tries to enhance their command line ??? ohhhhhh yes
oh yes because Microsoft is convinced the command line is one of the attractive tools for Linux and if you tried the command line in the version you mentioned and command line in windows 7 you will notice those efforts so, if you mean this command line in linux is fussy, and you are annoyed turn from time to time into terminal you are in need to take a deep breath, and revise the what have been written about command line , am going summarize to you now why command line?
~$ Unlike any windows version of command line, Linux (including Ubuntu)provides thousands of command-line utilities that range from simple programs for creating,
examining, and modifying files and file permissions to complex utilities that enable you
to fine-tune the performance of your hardware and low-level operating system capabilities,
~$ Many of these applications have graphical equivalents,
especially user-level applications and system configuration utilities
~$ If you don't like using command line ok, you can, but there came the days when your computer fall to configure one or more hardwares at boot here you will dreadfully need the command line which Linux is obeying blindly, and you can fix what ever hangup there (GUIs such as KDE, GNOME and so on in linux also start as command at boot level)
~# I liked this post :
“Linux: the operating system with a CLUE...
Command Line User Environment”
~$ All advanced Linux users consider command line interface more powerful than GUI
~$ ls
~$ you don't need to use command if you don't like in Linux if no problem came alongside(most of..)
~~#@# but don't simply take Linux now to be resembling windows 3.1 even command line in those UNIX at those days were powerful than cmd
;)

Spice Weasel
November 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM

PLEASE DON'T compare the horrible, unproductive UI of Windows 3.1 to the wonders of UNIX window managers.

And you've been able to do near anything from a GUI since Red Hat 8.

Except that it's more tedious to do from a GUI and takes longer.

Dragonbite
November 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Linux can look good or not depending on what your tastes are. Using KDE 4.5 on Fedora looks better than my Windows 7 machine because Fedora can actually make use of desktop effects while Windows 7 can't with my nvidia graphics card. Ubuntu's Gnome style has always been a point of debate. Personally I feel it looks better than Windows.

Command prompt? What's that? I can manage to do everything via GUIs and not touch the command line except when I want to (and yes, it is because I want to, not because I "have to"). Maybe you have a problem, but I haven't.

Considering Windows 7 can't run Aero because of my graphics while Linux gives me full DEs, and my scanner is not recognized in Windows 7 but runs just fine in Linux I actually think Linux is doing a BETTER job of hardware detection.

So, this thread looks like it's just becoming troll-bait, and here I thought it was possibly an actual conversations. ho-hum.

Zlatan
November 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Well, aside from all those ubuntu-is-the-best-and-only-comments..... hmm
As said above, the choice for an OS is a personal thing.

I used Windows 7, and it's pretty good as a desktop-OS.
Since about a month I use 10.10 as my primary-OS, but.... it hangs from time to time, which Windows didn't. Don't know if that's 10.10, because I have a server running 8.10/9.04/9.10 and yet 10.04 without any problems (desktop versions installed).

Big plus for Windows is that most programs that you'll have to buy just are for Windows ;-) Wine seems to do the trick sometimes, but well, it's never as good as the original thing.
Big plus for limux is that there aren't any real viruses out in the wild for linux systems, which saves you the processor-time of a virusscanner, but that can change tomorrow.

All that said: you should not use Ubuntu or linux if you're not willing to give it a real try. Both Windows and linux have their own plusses and minusses, so to be honest it's just a matter of what fits best.

- you can buy programs inlinux as well (actually you can pay for linux too, no problem with that)
- would like to see you using that wonderful windows 3.1:) but some guys prefer calculators as well... I can only respect your taste:)

new_tolinux
November 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM
- you can buy programs inlinux as well (actually you can pay for linux too, no problem with that)
- would like to see you using that wonderful windows 3.1:) but some guys prefer calculators as well... I can only respect your taste:)
Lol :popcorn:

I actually do have 1 pentium 75 running DOS and Windows 3.1, although I never really used Windows 3.1 because DOS is more or less my second language ;-)

But otherwise, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 as a server and currently 10.10 on my workstation, but that last one could change back to Windows 7, because that seems to run more stable on my hardware (<1 year old).

NightwishFan
November 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
A good friend of mine wanted me to install Ubuntu as a back up system and something for him to play with. He is a gamer but not a major one. After his Vista broke the second time (I restored it from a recovery partition before) he decided to just use Ubuntu rather than fix it. He was looking up linux games on the web. and found Glest, Warzone and Wesnoth, and he was surprised to find they actually were in the software center, which impressed him heavily. So the software center is a good feature of Ubuntu to check out. :)

dpny
November 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Of all the Linux distros, it has the best community and is the easiest to get started with.

Rachel_Eliason
November 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
My two cents:

Ubuntu is fast: Sure windows is fast enough to do what you want, but it's not fast enough to keep up with my ADHD driven attention span!:D:D

Ubuntu is stable: It's not just virus, which all of my window using friends complain about, it's about all sorts of malware and plain buggy software. the Linux world has plenty of examples of buggy software (free sometimes mean you get what you pay for) but they don't mess with Ubuntu as bad. In ubuntu bad software usually just doesn't work. On windows (my experience stops around xp) bad software messed with os, or with other software. Printer software changes settings that your games need, etc. It can be a real mess to debug.

Ubuntu is doubly cheap. For starters it's free, the applications are free. Also it runs well on older hardware, meaning you can buy used computers or delay upgrading your system much longer. That can save a ton over the long term.

Zlatan
November 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Lol :popcorn:

I actually do have 1 pentium 75 running DOS and Windows 3.1, although I never really used Windows 3.1 because DOS is more or less my second language ;-)

But otherwise, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 as a server and currently 10.10 on my workstation, but that last one could change back to Windows 7, because that seems to run more stable on my hardware (<1 year old).

What were these stability issues? Related to software or your specific hardware? Did you file a bug report? Did you mess a lot with your Ubuntu installation before it became unstable?:)
You know what I mean...
BTW, does your hardware belong here (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/certification/)?

sbmuser
December 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I appreciate all the feedback given to this problem. Thanks a lot to everyone who responded! :)
btw Simian Man I actually do like to understand how a computer works (I'm sorry for not mentioning this).
You just gave me good reason to use Ubuntu! Thanks! :)

I also am amazed at the sheer number of responses. Like many of you guys said, the learning curve for ubuntu for me will be very small. I really do appreciate that.

I thank also those who showed mr that even with a good AV, ubuntu beats windows on security.

Overall, I thank you all for letting me know that ubuntu will be a valuable byte investment :D

Cheers

fatharraxman
December 5th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Cheers

Thank you too for opening such an important blackboard Which I used to refer for my friends who asked me why Ubuntu
cheers
:popcorn: