PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No GUI after kernel upgrade

gewitty
November 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I'm running 10.10 with an NVIDIA card which has a customised xconfig file (to allow use of an EDID file). This was working OK until I ran a set of security updates which included a kernel upgrade. Now when I try to boot the machine, it goes straight to terminal mode and will not run the GUI.

I recall seeing something about this before, but can't find the thread. It's a fairly simple fix to get the graphics running again, but I can't remember what the solution is.

Can someone remind me please?

sikander3786
November 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Press and hold down the Shift key from Bios Screen. Select older kernel from Grub menu and let us know if that works.

gewitty
November 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks. I can't get to the machine at the moment as I'm travelling. But I'll check the older kernel when I get back.

dino99
November 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
update the system:

sudo update-usbids && sudo update-pciids

and you might either remove or rename xorg.conf as now kernel directly deal with X

gewitty
November 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
update the system:

sudo update-usbids && sudo update-pciids

and you might either remove or rename xorg.conf as now kernel directly deal with X

I'm still going to need to use xorg.conf as I have to include a line to point NVIDIA at the custom EDID file that I use for my monitor.

gewitty
December 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Press and hold down the Shift key from Bios Screen. Select older kernel from Grub menu and let us know if that works.

Using the previous kernel works OK. But I still haven't figured out why the new kernel broke my Nvidia graphics set-up. If it's any help, my xorg.conf file looks like this (the option to use a custom EDID file is highlighted in red):

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 260.19.21 (buildmeister@builder103.nvidia.com) Thu Nov 4 20:57:26 PDT 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP:/home/dave/edid.bin"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

sikander3786
December 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Never used a Custom EDID so not sure why that isn't working. Some-one more experienced might answer that.

How were the Nvidia drivers installed? From the repositories? Or if compiled manually, you might need to re-install them every kernel upgrade.