PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard language standardized in wrong language

BCMerlin
November 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
While installing Ubuntu 10.10 I chose the wrong language for my keyboard. I tried to fix this in keyboard preferences and it seemed to work. The correct one I need is USA (and don't know exactly the difference between USA and USA alternative international). But every time I boot my laptop I get the old language back (Dutch) while USA is above the others in my preferences.

Which options do I have?

germanix
November 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Select System>Preferences>Keyboard to open the Keyboard Preferences dialog box. This dialog box has five tabs: General, Layouts, Accessibility, Mouse Keys, and typing break.
On the layouts tab, you can choose your keyboard model, add an alternative keyboard layout, and configure layout options. Typically, the generic keyboard works fine for most setups. However if you want to make full use of the extra keys on your keyboard, such as mail, Web, Power, Sleep, suspend and so on, you should select your keyboard model.
If you write in two different languages on your keyboard, it may be helpful to be able to switch between them. Click the add button, and select the second language from the list. To switch from one language to another, , you can add the keyboard indicator applet in a panel and toggle from one language to another by clicking the applet.
If you only want to use the USA keyboard, just choose it from the list under layouts and make it the default.
Hope this helps you.
Have a nice day.