PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install with vista

rchubcitywihwy1480
November 28th, 2010, 07:04 AM
i have the latest ubuntu cd, just a few days ago,
i am running vista 32 bit home premium 2g ram would have adequate space on 160 hd , i just installed a new mb couple months ago
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

i have another 160 hd plus an external hd

can i in tall ubuntu on this without any certain difficulty?

i also have a toshiba satellite laptop but not sure if it is suitable?

2 questions

thanks in advance

wet-willy
November 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Yes, during installation you'll have to select custom partitioning or similar to point the installer to the second drive. If you do not, the installer might install on the same drive as Vista.

And it can be installed on the Toshiba also, it would probably shine better on it.

sikander3786
November 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
This will give you a basic idea of Windows/Ubuntu dual boot.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Then boot the Live CD and post your queries + the output of this command.

sudo fdisk -l

Toshiba laptop should be ok with Ubuntu. But the proper method of testing is to boot the Live CD and test all your hardware before installation ;-)

carlosr1
November 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I think you must installed Window7 that is upgraded window. Vista has no compatibility with most of the development softwares. I Toubled a lot cause of Vista. It's better to use Window7.

rchubcitywihwy1480
November 29th, 2010, 02:57 AM
i guess i better get another backup drive, before i do this
tks
:popcorn:

garvinrick4
November 29th, 2010, 03:55 AM
#Do what post #3 says, stick in Live Cd (Ubuntu install cd and choose Try Ubuntu) and run
Linux and see if everything works fine. Sound, video, internet and such.
#If all is fine install it, it is not that big of a deal. If a dual boot with 7,Vista, Xp they all work well along side of each other,
#Ask a question in these Forums and some good people will tell you how to install any way you want.
#Not rocket science just an install of a linux operating system, do not sweat it.

rchubcitywihwy1480
November 29th, 2010, 05:02 AM
ok

do you think any difference, the win 7 toshiba
or the desk top?

i realize it's what you now said , i did not know before try the cd.

anyway
yho?

tks

sikander3786
November 29th, 2010, 07:44 AM
do you think any difference, the win 7 toshiba
or the desk top?

Can't understand this. Please explain.

rchubcitywihwy1480
November 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM
after looking at various pages for ubuntu info, it may be to difficult for me,

there appears to be a lot of creating file names by typing, if so i have a problem using one hand so unless i can manipulate a copy and paste for a majority of this being i have never seen the system used, i may be asking for more than i can handle?

my previous question was rather ubuntu would work better on my desktop described above or the laptop/

sikander3786
November 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM
there appears to be a lot of creating file names by typing, if so i have a problem using one hand so unless i can manipulate a copy and paste for a majority of this being i have never seen the system used, i may be asking for more than i can handle?

There seem to be too much instructions for manipulating config files and type commands etc, but believe me, GUI tools for everything are available and some important of them are included in the default install. Others can be installed via Software Center with a single click.

There seem to be instructions on command line on the forums as it is easy to just copy/paste the command to your Terminal rather than advising Go To this> then this > then this tab > then select this option > then disable ;-)

my previous question was rather ubuntu would work better on my desktop described above or the laptop/

Can't answer that properly. It'd just be a guess but as mentioned earlier, boot a Live CD and see the difference yourself :-)