PDA

View Full Version : USB Install ubuntu won't load

Donnit
November 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Since my internal harddrive connections do not work (and I don't want to lose 900GB of data on my external harddrive nor buy a new one) I am using a USB Stick.

I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 onto a 4GB USB stick however when I restarted my computer all i can see is a blinking white line at the top left corner... I have changed the boot order with USB devices and removeable storage being first but to no avail.

How can I get this to work?

C.S.Cameron
November 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Since my internal harddrive connections do not work (and I don't want to lose 900GB of data on my external harddrive nor buy a new one) I am using a USB Stick.

I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 onto a 4GB USB stick however when I restarted my computer all i can see is a blinking white line at the top left corner... I have changed the boot order with USB devices and removeable storage being first but to no avail.

How can I get this to work?

On some computers you need to set the flash drive as first hard drive in BIOS.

Also check the iso's MD5SUM.

Donnit
November 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM
On some computers you need to set the flash drive as first hard drive in BIOS.

Also check the iso's .

I am in bios now and I cannot see where to select the flash drive as the first hard drive. I see fixed HDD, Second HDD and e-SATA but they are say [None].

C.S.Cameron
November 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Setting the flash as first HDD may not be the case on your computer.
On some computers pressing F10 or F12 when booting will give an option of what to boot.
Plop boot manager may also work if you have a CD drive or are running Windows or Linux already.