PDA

View Full Version : I installed DDO to my desktop today..

Dustin2128
November 28th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I finally got my desktop net connected, and after some pain, got DDO installed. Personally, I'm highly shocked that it'll even run on my 64MB video card (technically, it scrapes the minimum requirements), let alone on linux, where overkill is commonly needed in wine, not to mention it looks rather nice and has a pretty good framerate. True, I did have to install some winetricks and pylotro, but I'm really impressed. I'm getting around 40-50 fps in dungeons, 30 or so in towns, and beautiful lighting effects. The only thing I didn't like was how terrible the water looked, but the geforce 4 series isn't actually direct x 9 compatible, so that can be overlooked. I know people say that wine'll never work since windows compatibility is a moving target, especially only using reverse engineering, but I can now run just about every piece of windows software I own with minimal difficulty; lotro/ddo were the only holdouts.

user1397
November 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I finally got my desktop net connected, and after some pain, got DDO installed. Personally, I'm highly shocked that it'll even run on my 64MB video card (technically, it scrapes the minimum requirements), let alone on linux, where overkill is commonly needed in wine, not to mention it looks rather nice and has a pretty good framerate. True, I did have to install some winetricks and pylotro, but I'm really impressed. I'm getting around 40-50 fps in dungeons, 30 or so in towns, and beautiful lighting effects. The only thing I didn't like was how terrible the water looked, but the geforce 4 series isn't actually direct x 9 compatible, so that can be overlooked. I know people say that wine'll never work since windows compatibility is a moving target, especially only using reverse engineering, but I can now run just about every piece of windows software I own with minimal difficulty; lotro/ddo were the only holdouts.you play both lotro and ddo? how do you like lotro now that its free to play?

Dustin2128
November 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM
you play both lotro and ddo? how do you like lotro now that its free to play?
it's alright, but the community's down the drain in free areas from a subscriber perspective, and free players are extremely restricted from a free player's perspective.

madhi19
November 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Great mind think alike I did the same thing last week. Took me an afternoon to both download DDO and the freaking patch! (: And some wine wizardry to get it to work but am impress on how well my desktop is handling it. With an Athlon 64 2Ghz single core and an old 128MB video I was expecting to be limited to low resolution but I tried high resolution first and it look great!

Dustin2128
November 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
The only bad thing about it is that the beautiful graphics and capabilities of the game are basically forcing me to buy a DX11 compatible graphics card. The cheapest Geforce 400 series card is 70$ new. Also, I know that microsoft has prevented DX10 and up from being installed on windows xp- does anyone know if I have to change the windows version in winecfg?

user1397
November 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
it's alright, but the community's down the drain in free areas from a subscriber perspective, and free players are extremely restricted from a free player's perspective.

that's what i figured it would be like. it makes sense from the business side though, so i doubt they'll ever change it back.

back on topic, i have no experience with ddo, but last time i tried installing lotro on linux (and that was probably a year ago), it was as simple as downloading pylotro and wine, and installing the game (even the high-res version worked). no real configuration needed. how is it now?

Dustin2128
November 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
that's what i figured it would be like. it makes sense from the business side though, so i doubt they'll ever change it back.

back on topic, i have no experience with ddo, but last time i tried installing lotro on linux (and that was probably a year ago), it was as simple as downloading pylotro and wine, and installing the game (even the high-res version worked). no real configuration needed. how is it now?
I'm not sure, my friend's got a windows 7 laptop which I just copied the files from, then used pylotro. I'm trying to get the lotrostandard.exe downloader working, but it doesn't seem to work in wine.

user1397
November 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure, my friend's got a windows 7 laptop which I just copied the files from, then used pylotro. I'm trying to get the lotrostandard.exe downloader working, but it doesn't seem to work in wine.

Oh that's right, they changed the way you download the client. It used to be you could download the entire client in parts, and wine would accept it no questions. But now it comes in the form of a downloader, and wine has issues with it, though I am not familiar if there are any workarounds.

madhi19
November 29th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah wine got two workaround installer that you get from WineHQ instead of DDO. One for low res one for high res!

Dustin2128
November 29th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Yeah wine got two workaround installer that you get from WineHQ instead of DDO. One for low res one for high res!
link please? Also for lotro if there is one? I don't have a windows computer and my flash drive isn't big enough for lotro.

madhi19
November 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
The WineHQ DDO page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2910)