PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Frustration

vanoccupanther
November 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Hello,

So my computer/OS crashed, whole computer would not get past the looking for repairs window, its a Toshiba Satellite A200 running Windows Vista. I decided it would be a good idea to say **** it and install a new OS. I downloaded Ubu 10.10 on my brothers computer and burnt it onto a CD. Attempted installation came across 2 issues

Stuck on "Who are you?" Screen, specifically 'Ready When you are..' it wont highlight the forward button for me to get to the next screen.

Once it got past but I was shown a new window with a fatal error "grub-install /dev/sda5 - fail"

Please help as I am not tech savy?

Many Thanks

Quackers
November 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Welcome to UF :-)
In the "who are you" page you cannot start or end your username with a capital letter. This is a common problem.
With regard to the second problem grub wouldn't normally be trying to install to sda5. It would normally install to sda.

vanoccupanther
November 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll give both these answers a shot and I'll come back to you - probably be an hour or so.

later

Quackers
November 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM
No problem, I'll doubtless be here :-)
If not there are many more-abled people here to help you.

vanoccupanther
November 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks Quackers, that has been doing my head in all night. Once I didn't put any capital letters in the who am I section the second issue did not seem to arise. One thing I will mention as my computer did crash I had to choose the CD/DVD as the first boot in the BIOS (to load the CD). Upon restarting my computer it froze, took me a sec but then I realised so I restarted and switched back to my hard drive as the first boot.

Thanks again - be well!:popcorn:

Quackers
November 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
You're very welcome - enjoy! :-)
I'm surprised about the boot order though. Mine is still set to cd/dvd first and I have no problem booting from the hard drive at all. Curious.