PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu discussed as Oracle target?

warp99
April 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Came across this link about the interest in Oracle buying Novell.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1950199,00.asp

One of the analyst think that ubuntu could be a possible takeover at a really cheap price. Any merit to this claim? :-k

imagine
April 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Oracle can of course use Ubuntu as an operating system for their database as long as they along with the GPL. However you cannot "buy" Ubuntu, ie the Ubuntu foundation, since it's not for sale.

warp99
April 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM
The article takes about aquiring Canonical Ltd, which is the distrubution company of ubuntu http://www.canonical.com/

That's what I'm wondering about. How would aquiring the distribution company would affect ubuntu or would it make any sense at all?

prizrak
April 20th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Canonical would have to agree to be purchased in the first place. As it is not a publicly traded corporation a hostile takeover is highly unlikely. If it does get taken over no one is stopping the community from developing it's own Ubuntu Linux, it's FOSS fork it if you like.

frühstück
April 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
As it is not a publicly traded corporation a hostile takeover is highly unlikely.

Unlikely? Unless Oracle hires a bunch of mercenarys, its not going to happen.

prizrak
April 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Unlikely? Unless Oracle hires a bunch of mercenarys, its not going to happen.
Like I said, unlikely ;)

warp99
April 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Another article about ubuntu and Oracle:

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1180607,00.html

This is getting interesting. ;)

John.Michael.Kane
April 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Oracle's new linux distro Orabuntu... lol

htinn
April 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM
What's unlikely is Oracle bothering to pay for something they can just fork anyway. Oracle is in the *software* business, not the distro business.

warp99
April 20th, 2006, 09:28 PM
What's unlikely is Oracle bothering to pay for something they can just fork anyway. Oracle is in the *software* business, not the distro business.

I agree with you that anyone can just fork a distro, but it not about the distro. It about branding. It's about the intrinsic value of the ubuntu concept. A classic case of it's not the steak it's the sizzle.

I don't believe that aquiring Canonical would bring any value to the enterprise level target Oracle is looking for. It would most likely undermind the ubuntu idea and users would bail ship.

Now if Canonical and Oracle worked out a distribution deal, well that's a different story. Your looking at adding value to the Oracle stack while at the same time perserving the ubuntu concept and ultimately putting a big torpedo into the SS Microsoft. :cool:

warp99
April 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I'm not the only one who thinks about distibution deals:

"We currently make some money offering certification related services (certifying developers, administrators, applications, and hardware) as well as customisation services (you want your own distro, based on Ubuntu, let's talk)."

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth

biarritz
April 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
:D This oracle buisness is just another example of an American company trying to associate itself with greatness from the British isles, and other European nations.

it happened a few weeks ago with Google poping up into the Ubuntu world, you can be sure it will happen again because they are too transparent.
=D>

ChrisNTR
April 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
Heh, This sounds good to me, I don't have to pay to use Oracle at the moment so Oracle and Ubuntu for free sounds like heaven...

djlosch
April 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM
first of all, ubuntu is primarily a desktop distro, and oracle isn't looking specifically for desktop distros.

second, EVERYONE, and i mean EVERYONE has a price, and if someone is insistent on not selling, it's called a planned accident.

briancurtin
April 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
However you cannot "buy" Ubuntu, ie the Ubuntu foundation, since it's not for sale.
everything in the world is for sale, its just a matter of how much money you are willing to put down.

Compucore
April 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well this is true for sure. But what is interesting for me over here anyways. And this is interesting though too. Since I have used their RDBMS systems at home through otn.oracle.com which you can try and develop with their databas software for free at home to learn and tinker with of what Oracle is all about. I've used 8i at the college computers, and 9i at home when I was still learning 8i at the college. and did a lot of workable sql statements that worked well for both version that I did it right when debugging the sql statements to make sure tht it worked in both versions at that time

Would it not be a good thing to have something that is from Oracle even for learning experience from them on a ubuntu. And still have them learn something back from ubuntu linux. If memory serves correctly Ubuntu got certified by IBM for being used with Ttheir DB2. Even though for medium to large business have to pay for that kind of system. The development side where you can easily create an account for free and download either 10G or !0G express for either windows, linux in general, or for the 64 bit version. Wouldn't be nice to have ubuntu working with that as well and have both sides have a win win situation. I know I would since Oracle is a good database system I have not tried any other large RDBMS syste lately like Sybase, Teradata, or DB2 personally. But I think that its a good to see where this leads to. Maybe something good might come from it. It would be nice to see the develop and try on a ubuntu in the add/remove section or Synaptic package manager would be nice.

Even 10G XE is nice since its all done under the web brower itself on the machine in question. Like I had done with windows and in IE or netscape. Same could be done under Ubuntu with Mozilla firefox. I'm not working for Oracle over here but I have used enough of their 9i and I have an account with them under the link tht I had posted there. There is more than enough infromation to do with. Plus if you want to as well. go to http://www.tradepub.com/ you can also get their magazine for free. So there are possibilies are endless. All tinkering and development for free just like ubuntu is. If you want to learn this on your own.

Compucore

P.S. ChrisNTR if you go to otn.oracle.com and sign up for free. you can download it and install it under either windows or linux. Tak a look into it.