PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.10 and Apache 2.2

ingeva
November 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've made several attempts to make Ubuntu server 10.10 work with the gnome desktop, and finally,
with an updated kernel (2.6.35-23) it worked.
However, when trying to update Apache with my own settings, I get the following messages:

apache2: Syntax error on line 203 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.load:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so into server:
libdb-4.7.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directoryI have placed the libphp5.so file into the location indicated, but that did not help.
libdb-4.7.so is nowhere to be found. Since Apache ends with an error my local
web pages are not found.

There are several other problems with this version and I can't find much understandable
information about the migration, but I'll take one thing at a time. Can anyone help?

windependence
November 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Have you installed php5?

Try installing the libdb-4.7.so package.

-Tim

ingeva
November 27th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Have you installed php5?
Try installing the libdb-4.7.so package.
-TimI have installed php5 and apache from the installation CD, and I updated them using these commands:

aptitude -y install apache2
aptitude -y install php5 php5-common php5-cli php5-gd
I mentioned that libdb-4.7.so was nowhere to be found.
That includes searching from the Synaptic package manager.

The installation itself goes fine. The error occurs when attempting to restart the apache server:

/etc/init.d/apache2 restartEverything done in SU mode, of course.

Vegan
November 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Try this

sudo dpkg -r --force-all php5
sudo apt-get install php5
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

windependence
November 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Can you post the first 10 or 15 lines of your /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.load file?

-Tim

ingeva
November 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Try this

sudo dpkg -r --force-all php5
sudo apt-get install php5
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restartDid that. Nothing new installed. Same error.

ingeva
November 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Can you post the first 10 or 15 lines of your /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.load file?

-Tim
There's only one line:

LoadModule php5_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp5.so

Maybe I should just delete it? :)

windependence
November 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Well, if you delete it, php5 won't load. If you don't need php (and you don't necessarily need it for a web server) then you can safely delete it.

I think the problem is your php5 installation is hosed. Apparently, the ph module is dependent on the libdb-4.7.so package. If it was me, I would completely uninstall php5 and reinstall not from the disks but from the repositories. To uninstall:

sudo apt-get --purge remove php5 php5-common php5-cli php5-gd

Then reinstall php5:

sudo apt-get install php5 php5-common php5-cli php5-gd

-Tim

ingeva
November 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Well, if you delete it, php5 won't load. If you don't need php (and you don't necessarily need it for a web server) then you can safely delete it.

I think the problem is your php5 installation is hosed. Apparently, the ph module is dependent on the libdb-4.7.so package. If it was me, I would completely uninstall php5 and reinstall not from the disks but from the repositories. To uninstall:

sudo apt-get --purge remove php5 php5-common php5-cli php5-gd
Then reinstall php5:

sudo apt-get install php5 php5-common php5-cli php5-gd

-Tim
Well, this actually solved the problem!
I have re-installed php5 more times than I could count, but I did NOT remove it first.
It has evidently not been installed correctly from the CD.
Also, Apache worked perfectly without php, but of course it just used the files like they were html files or pure text.

Please allow me to ask: Was "hosed" a misprint? Whatever it was, what does it mean? F***ed up? :)

Thank you VERY much for your help! Why didn't I think of that? :)

Digression:
In the meantime I have also solved the other problems I had by myself, so I'm pretty proud of that, and happy that I'm finally up-to-date with the latest version. Couldn't use 10.04 Lucid because there was no connection from my wireless keyboard.
The problems were: Samba wouldn't start (Solution: used sudo restart samba)
and NFS crashed the computer when installing it (Solution: Make sure to CD into the correct directory in my install script).

Please allow me to keep this unsolved until I have your response.

inge

windependence
November 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Yes, hosed did in indeed mean screwed up. :-)

Glad you were able to get it fixed. Just FYI, the latest and greatest is not always the best, especially with Linux. I am still running 8.04 LTS on all my production machines for one reason - they are STABLE. Packages will still get updated to the latest version for 5 years from the release date of 8.04 so I will stay with it until the next LTS release.

-Tim

ingeva
December 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, hosed did in indeed mean screwed up. :-)
Glad you were able to get it fixed. Just FYI, the latest and greatest is not always the best, especially with Linux.
-Tim
Thanks, and I agree, and I used 8.04 for a long time, but I also want to keep myself updated in small steps because there are new surprises with every update and I don't want to handle too much at one time.
I can still boot 9.10 if I want, and it shares the home directory with 10.10 without problems.

Now there's only one problem left to solve before I can move one computer (Server and backup) from the kitchen to the shed outside, where it can stay on 24/7 without making disturbing noise and free some space on the kitchen table. :)
I hope I can have that resolved this evening or some time tomorrow.

Ubuntu rules!