PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Information about open WiFi network and web authentication

erotavlas
November 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi,

I have to setup a WiFi network for a hotel. There are several possibilities, but for me the best one is to setup a open Wifi network with web authentication for single user. What is the best solution in terms of compatibility, security, reliability, etc? I don't know many solution for web authentication, only the RADIUS project...

Thank you

grahammechanical
November 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM
An open WiFi network is an easy solution (all the rest may be hard) but I do not think that it is good customer service.

The radio transmissions between the computers and the wireless access point are not encrypted. Anyone with a wireless device in their computer can "listen, eavesdrop, or sniff" these transmissions and obtain personal information. This has been demonstrated recently with mobile phones that are set up to automatically connect to any open network in range. They can be deceived into connecting to a wireless device pretending to be the wireless network.

I may suggest that you set up an open WiFi network as a starting point and then improve it by making it WiFi Protected Access (WPA). You might want to research something called WPS (Wifi Protected Setup). It is a method for having secure wireless networks without giving people the WPA authentication key. Doing that would make the network as insecure as not having a password.

Regards.