PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Attempted update to Karmic Koala still using kernel from Jackalope

stednick
November 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I am using a Dell Latitude 2100 that shipped with Jaunty. I tried to upgrade to to Karmic and things seemed to look good. There are some bizarre issues (touchpad mouse stopped working, xinput reports "Cannot connect to X server") which both I think are related to the issue that my kernel somehow remains stuck in the Jaunty kernel (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8939202).

uname -r
2.6.28-11-generic

This is the only kernel listed when I go into GRUB. Am I right to assume that the older kernel is largely contributing to these problems?

mörgæs
November 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Rather than struggling with old (and obsolete) versions and a long chain of upgrades I would go for a fresh install of 10.04 or 10.10.

Rubi1200
November 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I tend to agree with mörgæs on this one. Tracking down and attempting to fix the source of the problems could be a very frustrating, and, ultimately, futile experience.

I recommend you backup all important data and install 10.04, which is an LTS release supported on the Desktop until 2013.

stednick
November 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, on the one hand it was quite frustrating. On the other hand, I learned more about differences in grub and grub2 than I ever thought possible (or imagined I would want to learn)