PDA

View Full Version : CPU: what one is better?

Zerocool Djx
November 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Clock speed VS cores...

2.5Ghz - Quad Core - What I am thinking of getting...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4082332&Sku=A79-9851

OR

2.8Ghz - Dual Core - what I have now..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5619575&Sku=A79-7851

What would you do?

johntaylor1887
November 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I would go with the quad core, and it can easily be overclocked to 2.8ghz.

Zerocool Djx
November 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM
this is true,..

Sold

Now I got to figure out how to do it, lol

johntaylor1887
November 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM
this is true,..

Sold

Now I got to figure out how to do it, lol

The overclocking settings are in the BIOS. All you need to do is set the multiplier to 14x. 14x would be 14 times 200mhz= 2.8ghz.

cascade9
November 27th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Clock speed VS cores...
2.5Ghz - Quad Core - What I am thinking of getting...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4082332&Sku=A79-9851

OR
2.8Ghz - Dual Core - what I have now..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5619575&Sku=A79-7851

What would you do?

I'd get a newer CPU.

The Phenom X4 9XXX chips were OK in the day, but are over 2 years old now. They were always hot and pretty power hungry. Newer AMD CPUs have more MHz for less power and heat, use the MHz better and shouldnt cost much more.

czr114
November 27th, 2010, 05:55 AM
The quad.

Zerocool Djx
November 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM
This is true,.. however I'm getting this come tax return time,... No need for silly Phenom 2's... I am mainly getting this cause I am board, and would like a boost to hold me over till then. I think the Quad I posted on here is the highest my mother board will support anyway. It's only got an AM2+ socket on it, not AM3
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-151-222-02.jpg

cascade9
November 27th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Lots of AM2+ motherboards support AM3 CPUs. Phenom IIs silly? LOL. You wouldnt need a phenom II anyway, even a Athlon II X4 should be faster pretty much everywhere than an original phenom.

Looks like a dual socket 'F' opteron motherboard.

Why do you want that? Sure, it will run 2x 6core Opterons but they will cost you well over twice as much (each) compared to a Phenom II X6, which also runs a LOT more MHz than the opterons.

With the cost of the registered/buffered/ECC RAM that server motherboards normally need, its going to cost a lot of money, and not perfrom much better than an AMD desktop even for tasks suited for server hardware. For a lot of tasks, the Phenom II would be faster.....

Zerocool Djx
November 27th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Lots of AM2+ motherboards support AM3 CPUs. Phenom IIs silly? LOL. You wouldnt need a phenom II anyway, even a Athlon II X4 should be faster pretty much everywhere than an original phenom.

Looks like a dual socket 'F' opteron motherboard.

Why do you want that? Sure, it will run 2x 6core Opterons but they will cost you well over twice as much (each) compared to a Phenom II X6, which also runs a LOT more MHz than the opterons.

With the cost of the registered/buffered/ECC RAM that server motherboards normally need, its going to cost a lot of money, and not perfrom much better than an AMD desktop even for tasks suited for server hardware. For a lot of tasks, the Phenom II would be faster.....

Um,.. no

This is made from Tyan, Opteron is the name of the processor it's self. It will be having Dual AMD 12 core processors with 128GB of DDR3 Ram. And, I'm not even going to go into how much more power this will be over a single hex-core system. Don't get me wrong, hex-cores are nice, but for what I am doing they just don't have the power. And yes, this won't be a cheap machine, hence the tax return time. I'm looking at least at around $3,500-$5k for this by the time it is fully done up.

cascade9
November 27th, 2010, 01:32 PM
This is made from Tyan, Opteron is the name of the processor it's self. It will be having Dual AMD 12 core processors with 128GB of DDR3 Ram. And, I'm not even going to go into how much more power this will be over a single hex-core system. Don't get me wrong, hex-cores are nice, but for what I am doing they just don't have the power. And yes, this won't be a cheap machine, hence the tax return time. I'm looking at least at around $3,500-$5k for this by the time it is fully done up.

Umm, yeah, I know opteron is the CPU name. Hence "dual socket 'f'", not that its a socket 'f'. If it can run 12 core optys it would have to be socket G34.

$3500? I dont think so.....$5K might be do-able. You're looking at $800+ odd a CPU (so $1600 just on CPUs). Depending on what motherboard and RAM support that it has, you might well be limited to unbuffered/registered/ECC RAM. Which is a lot more than 'normal' RAM. Even for 128GB in standard desktop RAM you would be looking at $1600 or so.....

Zerocool Djx
November 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
So yea,.. as I said, starting at $3,500,.. anyway...

So when this quad core gets here and I upgrade this thing,.. do I have to reinstall everything on my hard drive?

cascade9
November 28th, 2010, 06:31 AM
No, you wont have to reinstall.

*edit- probably too late, and not what most people would do anyway, but with the right chipset a X2 7850 can be unlocked into a Phenom X4.

jfreak_
November 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Not to be rude, nut what do people do with such high-powered monsters?

czr114
November 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
My duodecacore desktop is used primarily for compilation and working with large datasets.