PDA

View Full Version : Building a system

rmcellig
November 27th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I am seriously thinking of building a system for me to run Ubuntu. I don't want to buy the commercial PC's out there mainly because of all the stuff that companies put on them that I don't need. I went down this road before with my wife's PC. I built it for her a couple of years ago and she loves it dual booting with WinXP and Ubuntu.

Attached is basically what I am looking at to make up my initial system. Comments? My budget is between $600-$800 Canadian.

Dustin2128
November 27th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I am seriously thinking of building a system for me to run Ubuntu. I don't want to buy the commercial PC's out there mainly because of all the stuff that companies put on them that I don't need. I went down this road before with my wife's PC. I built it for her a couple of years ago and she loves it dual booting with WinXP and Ubuntu.

Attached is basically what I am looking at to make up my initial system. Comments? My budget is between $600-$800 Canadian.
I think you could get it a lot cheaper than that, but if you like that budget you can get much more powerful parts. For instance, a phenom II hex core or a high end geforce 400 card.

Zerocool Djx
November 27th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I get all my stuff on tigerdirect... if you got thaqt much to spare and you already have screen,keyboard, mouse, etc.. you could build a pretty crazy barebones system

rmcellig
November 27th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Hi Dustin2128!

Thanks for your comments! You mentioned that I could put together a great fast, flexible (my words) computer for less than what I posted. Do tell!! :) Maybe with the Intel processor (i7) or whatever it is called.